Macros, Calories, Maintenance

Options
I have been maintaining for a little over a year now. For the majority of that year I have relied on macros to maintain. 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I was holding steady (except around holidays) at 105-106. I'm 5'0" tall by the way so that is a healthy weight. Anyway, I stopped worrying about macros when I found out I was lactose intolerant and fluctuate from 106-109. My average is 50/25/25.

I feel a lot better now that I cut out dairy, but it's harder for me to get protein. I don't like a lot of meat/seafood and I also get negative affects from soy. I can't stand protein powders, so I need a good protein shake option.

I mostly need help finding ways to up my protein without dairy, soy or seafood. My main sources right now are nuts, seeds, nut butters, turkey, chicken, eggs and the occasional beef. I limit 2 eggs per day or I'd eat them at every meal haha.

Any suggestions? Anyone else not count macros and still maintain easily? Anyone else lactose intolerant and have advice?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used macros to maintain for awhile as well. Some protein staples for me are canned chicken made into chicken salad, shakeology, PB2, and Whey protein. Now I know you said you didnt like protein and hey does have some lactose but my mom is also lactose intolerant and she has no problems drinking which tastes Delicious!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Actually, why do you limit your eggs? Although they have a high cholesterol and fat count, they aren't actually associated with problems with cholesterol. If you aren't eating a lot of fatty meats, I would not think it would be a problem (according to the Harvard Health Study).

What parts of dairy bother you? A lot of people who are lactose intolerant can drink kefir. You might try that. You can buy it in most supermarkets now, but I make my own. It also tends to help with other dietary problems, because it repopulates your guts with healthier bacteria (i.e., it's probiotic). (I was looking for smoothie recipes I saw in the NYTimes and found this, which you might also like: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/we-are-our-bacteria/?src=me)

To add some variety to your food, you might try shakes that are fruit, ice, and nut butters. You can also add oatmeal or other slow to digest carbs to them. Here is a site search from the NYTimes - they've had some fantastic recipes:
    http://query.nytimes.com/search/sitesearch/#/smoothies/

I would also explore seafood that you might like. Tastes bounce all over the place. Tuna fish has a completely different flavor than salmon, which tastes different from any of the white fishes. A lot of people like tomato based chowders or gumbos who say they can't stand fish. Look up recipes for bouillabaise. I make them with lots of chickpeas as well as fish. You don't taste the fish but you got this fantastic vegetable stew.

Good luck.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you for suggestions! I have had Tuna before, but I just haven't had any experience cooking it so I'm afraid to. I also am ok with battered shrimp/calamari, but that isn't very healthy. I'm not huge on cod or salmon, especially cooking it.

I will definitely try more shakes and protein supplements! As for dairy, I have issues with milk, yogurt, large amounts of cheese and sometimes ice cream.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Be aware of your personal limit for mercury in tuna. Sardines have significantly less, but a lot of people can't stand them. Kippers taste pretty great.

Snacking on deli meat and meat snack sticks is an easy way to increase protein (for me).

I LIKE protein drinks so to me that is a quick way, but if you ADD it to smoothies or whatever, does it matter what it tastes like? There are soy-, pea- and whey-based powders. Maybe others.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I switched to the "Almond milk" instead of the lactose free milk. It costs less and had 50% more calcium and 40% more protein. I also kept a thing of "muscle milk lite" in the lunch bag for a handy snack. I also put almonds or walnuts in my oatmeal in the morning. Love those single serving bags of almonds and pistachios at sams club too.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Learning to cook lots of different kinds of food is a great way to make your life healthier. And eat fantastically delicious stuff.