Half Marathon Training and Losing Weight

Options
Hi Everyone!

New to this website - thought that I needed some inspiration. I decided to sign up to a half marathon in April (just under 3 months!) and did so because I realise I've got quite a bit of weight to lose (20KG).

I have the motivation, but I'm very lost as to where to begin! Any hints and tips would be great...my main problem is the food not the exercise!

Can't wait to see your responses, and thanks!:smile:

Replies

• sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    Are you a runner ? Or doing regular running ?

If not then google for a programme to get you up to distance over the time frame you have.

There are a lot of programmes out there.
  • nzingher
    nzingher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've trained for a 10K in October...so the running isn't the issue. It's really the diet and weight loss I need to focus on :o)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner but I became a facebook fan of the couch to 5k program because I thought i might want to start training to run. They put a lot of interesting links on their facebook page and there was one article this week that said you can't really try to lose weight and train for a big event because the nutritional needs are different.

Here's the link:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Lose-Weight-to-Train.htm?cmp=17-7-8

(I am not an expert nor do I havei personal experience, just passing along what I read)
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi just wanted to welcome you MFP.

I'm just drinking my first cup of coffee so I'm failing on the math translation. Is that @45 lbs?

Ok, I'm a runner and the first thing you need to do is pick out a running plan for your half marathon. I'm partial to Hal Higdon's plans (did my last half in October following his intermediate plan) but his beginner plan is good too (just google hal higdon and you'll get all of his plans). You can also check runnersworld.com for other plans.

That being said, I personally find it hard to lose weight during half marathon training, especially the 2nd half of the 12 week plan. You need enough to fuel your body for the miles you are putting in and it's a fine line between eating enough and eating/losing weight. But, I"m within 10-15 lbs of my goal which why it may be harder.

Good luck to you!
    Lisa
  • runrgrl3
    Options
    I'm a marathoner and a big fan of Hal Hidgon as well. He has a great "Novice Half Marathon" schedule.
  • veggiegirl314
    Options
    I'm also a runner! Currently training for my second half (which is also in April!)

I'm a big fan of Hal Higdon's training plans as well.
  • foxynurse
    Options
    I'm training for my first Half Marathon and I am also using Hal Higdon's plan which I modified a little bit because the race I'm running is May 1st.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Since exercise isn't your problem, just log your daily food and be sure to add in the calories that you will be running off. Follow the calorie and meal plan that MFP gives you and you should be fine.
  • nzingher
    nzingher Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Good luck to all of you as well!!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I am not a runner but I became a facebook fan of the couch to 5k program because I thought i might want to start training to run. They put a lot of interesting links on their facebook page and there was one article this week that said you can't really try to lose weight and train for a big event because the nutritional needs are different.

Here's the link:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Lose-Weight-to-Train.htm?cmp=17-7-8

(I am not an expert nor do I havei personal experience, just passing along what I read)

I absolutely found this to be true. Thanks for sharing!
  • chris_elizabeth
    chris_elizabeth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone!
    Fellow half-marathon trainee here! I am planning on doing a half in October (tons of prep time!:)).
    I am doing the entire training process in sections. Currently doing the 5k 3 week challenge, where I build up my time as the weeks go on, running 4 days of the week for at least 2 kms at a time. So far its working after finishing week 1 on Sunday!

After I finish (May 2), I am switching to a 10k Challenge that will be 7 weeks in length. Doing a similar, 4 days running a week, while on the 3 off doing another light type of cardio.

I am also doing strength training (3 days a week). Day 1 - Arms/Chest/Shoulders, Day 2 - Legs, and Day 3 - Back. I also try to do abs/core work any chance I have!

If anyone wants to join me in my 'plan' i have created add me and I can always send you the schedule i have created, with help from numerous marathon training websites. PLUS we can be a good support system for one another! :)

Lets go runners!!!
    -Christa