maintain current weight but lose belly fat

Options
13»

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Cardio, cardio, cardio. "You can tone all you want, but if there's a layer of fat covering it, nobody is going to see it." -Cassey Ho, Blogilates Pilates and Fitness Instructor. So... I'm sure with what you weigh, you don't have much fat on you. I've read that avocados help blast belly fat, but avocados in general are quite fatty, and daily serving is quite small. Great that you're eating clean. I assume you're doing a lot of abdominal exercises to target the toning for your stomach?

Lolwut? Except for the part about not being able to spot reduce, this whole post is full of nonsense.

"Cardio, cardio, cardio" is NOT the answer. The answer is a moderate calorie deficit, while strength training. OP, Jillian Michaels does not qualify as adequate strength training, I am sorry to say. You are going to need to amp it up. You need HEAVY weights, not the little soup can-sized girlie-weights Jillian uses. You lift weights to preserve your lean muscle so you lose more fat while eating at a deficit.

Avocados, while a delicious and nutritionally beneficial food, do not "blast belly fat". (More lol.) No food blasts belly fat, or any fat. Calorie deficits blast fat. Nothing else.

Also, abdominal exercises do not "tone" the belly (Lollercoaster). You can't target any body part, that is the same as spot reducing. Which we've already established as being impossible.

To recap: eat at a deficit, lift HEAVY weights. Look up New Rule of Lifting for Women or StrongLifts to get started lifting. Good luck OP. :flowerforyou:

I would say that Jillian's workouts can be used to recomp. It has worked for me. But I have made one change in her workouts--I use the absolute heaviest weights I can without sacrificing form, and I slow the pace and do fewer reps. So while she recommends say a set of 8 lb weights on a specific exercise and does 16 reps, I use a set of 20 lb weights and do 10 reps at a slower pace.

I have found that doing her DVDs like this is very effective, especially if you are time crunched and need to get some cardio in without adding time.

I have watched my tummy slowly disappear in the past 7 months first doing Jillian and this summer doing a more standard weight lifting routine using dumbells. I have sets up through 20 lbs and will add 25's soon.

I have lost no weight, but I look better than ever.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    By the visual id say im 20-22% range. Its just annoying bc I havent lost inches when I measure my waist in over three weeks! Grrr i have been tryig to lift heavier. Im only at 130 for squats and i use 20-30 lb dumbells and can only bench press 60 lbs and sumo dealift 60lbs.

My waist measurement hasn't changed much at all. But my abs look totally different, and when I turn sideways my gut is gone. I seem to lose in places you don't normally measure. Calipers have been a better estimate of my fat than tape measures.
  • Cherieb42
    Cherieb42 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds in 1.5 years and had series problems due to the stuff left over around my belly (rashes, infections etc). In addition to my cardio I do yoga five times a week plus reformer pilates which helped strengthen my core for sure. I finally had a tummy tuck, they took 4 pounds of skin/fat off. It was a serious decision, one I'm glad I made but like any surgery it was a very serious matter and very personal decision as well.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This may be a completely idiotic question, but what do most people class as lifting heavy? As in weight wise? in KG's or lbs. I'm starting out as a newbie lifter and wonder if i'm being a complete weaklink lol.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain about other programs but stronlifts 5x5 begins with the empty bar which is 45 pounds for squats, bench press and overhead press. Barbell row begins at 65 lb and deadlifts at 95 lbs. Each exercise increases by 5 pounds each time you do them and with the exception of deadlifts each workout consists of 5 sets of 5 reps. Deadlifts are a single set of 5 reps.

For persons accustomed to lifting 10-15 pound dumbells (I was one of those persons) it may sound heavy but then you find that it is very doable. Even easy in the beginning.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use the barbell weight thats connected as a machine for squats. I just started doing sumo deadlift last week though.

That sounds like you are using a Smith machine. Is there any way you can dump the Smith machine and use a barbell and a squat stand to squat instead?
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This may be a completely idiotic question, but what do most people class as lifting heavy? As in weight wise? in KG's or lbs. I'm starting out as a newbie lifter and wonder if i'm being a complete weaklink lol.

Don't worry about how much you are lifting right now. Just add weight to each lift every time you train. Eventually you won't be able to add weight every single time you train, but if you are a total newbie, this strategy should get you through at least the first couple of months, and probably longer. You may need to invest in microplates (or use washers) in order to add weight in smaller increments than 5 pounds.
  • angelzxy321
    angelzxy321 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Don't worry about how much you are lifting right now. Just add weight to each lift every time you train. Eventually you won't be able to add weight every single time you train, but if you are a total newbie, this strategy should get you through at least the first couple of months, and probably longer. You may need to invest in microplates (or use washers) in order to add weight in smaller increments than 5 pounds.

I agree with the microplates. I'm having trouble now adding 5 pounds each time now that I'm a few weeks into the program.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Lifting heavy is a reference to rep range. 1-6 reps is what I consider heavy. 7-12 is moderate. 12-15 is light.

So if you can lift a weight more than 6 times, add weight to the lift.

Beginners should lift heavy and gain strength. That'll give you the dense, unpumped muscle girls want like staci from nerdfitness.
  • kassie212
    kassie212 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ya have an actual barbell set at home i can use i was just afraid to for fear of dropping it or anything. I can try it ourlt though
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I agree with the microplates. I'm having trouble now adding 5 pounds each time now that I'm a few weeks into the program.

Thanks so much for all your replies. I have some microplates so this will work for me.