I have to give up Rugby

Options
2»

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    thats sounds advice, thanks very much, at least to deal with the biterness of stopping,

if i go and watch straight away it will just tease me!

Totally mate, and you start convincing yourself that " I'll train and get it right" then you do it again and end up getting a new knee before you are 35.

I tried to stop playing for years, but would end up going up to say hi, then start training again blah blah blah.

Nothing matches the "changing room banter etc" even now as manager of players I played and trained with for years, its not the same as being out on the pitch, bursting some bloke to even the scores etc.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i was hoping there might be a similar sport that has a similar atmosphere.

i appreciate all the responses though guys and gals, i think the tri's is the best bet.

im not sure about crossfit.. i really dont get it? as far as ive seen it promotes a competiton in quantity rather then quality and for all its worth. who wants to be known as the best at exercising? theres no end goal
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    water polo maybe?

No knee problem, team sport?
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    thats not a bad idea, ill have a look if there is one near by
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    im not sure about crossfit.. i really dont get it? as far as ive seen it promotes a competiton in quantity rather then quality and for all its worth. who wants to be known as the best at exercising? theres no end goal

Rich Froning Jr. does? :laugh:

Of course there's an end goal. You decide for yourself what it is. But yeah it's not so clear cut as a team sport where the aim is to win a match. TBH all my sports have been like that - I'm competing against myself. I think I prefer it that way, I might actually have a chance of winning :drinker:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    In that case, I'd definitely say triathlons are your best bet. I'd advise against pure running, but as one of three components you should do fine. Maybe also pick a club initially based on friendliness and inclusiveness - you can always find a more competitive group once you've built up a social circle.

I sympathise though, I really do. My life long knee issues (deformed femoral groove, lax ligaments, resulting meniscus damage) flared up dramatically last month with a transient dislocation of the patella, which for a couple of weeks looked like a ruptured quad tendon. I've been lucky this time, and I wish you all the best for your surgery and recovery.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Can you see if there is a running club near you?

ETA: If you feel comfortable that you can just run. THey often train for events, like 5k, 10k, half marathons, etc., together.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Mountain biking. You can do it alone or with friends and it's totally cool to drink beer afterwards.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I'm having a "rest" season (I'm recovering from a shoulder injury), and I've been doing weight training during the week, and hiking and some easy scrambles on the weekends.

Good luck to you, I hope you heal up well, and you have my sympathies, I know how hard it is to stop playing even when your body says no more.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What the hell can i do with myself when all my friends are playing Rugby at the weekends?

It sounds snarky to say, "Get new friends" but that's not how I mean it. Find out what other folks are doing at the same time as your Rugby weekends and join them. For example, local Sierra Clubs are often into group hikes and filled with young healthy folks. Similarly, local road runners' groups and cycling groups.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I went through something similar to you a few years back, severed two ligaments in my knee and tore the cartilage, and had to give up rugby forever.

Now I cycle an awful lot, and enjoy it. I run a bit too, and I'll be doing more once I get a decent sports knee brace. Also been getting into surfing in the last year or so.

I hadn't found anything that was quite as intense a training experience though until I joined a boxing club. Great comradery, banter and the like, and a great tough workout. It's given me a chance to learn the physical skills of a whole new sport, and you don't need to rotate on the knees at all.

Don't know what a fight is like yet, my first is in 12 weeks, but otherwise it's a great substitution IMHO.

I'm also out long enough at this stage that I've started assistant coaching the minis in my old rugby club. You get there, eventually.
  • lngbrd
    lngbrd Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Surfing, paddleboarding, kayaking
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I know golf is no comparison to the activity level of rugby but it can be great competition against others and yourself. I think strain to the knee would be minimal. Your size and strength would be to your advantage. Best luck finding something you enjoy!
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the replies but maybe try coaching rugby? There is a big need for rugby coaches. My husband is an ex-rugby player and had to give it up after a knee injury. He still played baseball after that (I think) but he got into coaching to stay in the game and expose others to the game.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    thats sounds advice, thanks very much, at least to deal with the biterness of stopping,

if i go and watch straight away it will just tease me!

Join a triathlon team or a running club for the social aspect and a decent workout.
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been playing for 12 years and just had to hang up the boots... I was playing with a messed up knee for about about 10 of those years and just rocking knee braces. The Dr finally told me to stop due to concussions I had in college.

So I feel ya man.

Before I got into rugby in college I was big into mountain bike racing. I would say if you want the social aspect of rugby it can be hard to find.... rolling 40 deep to a pub after a match covered in sweat, blood, and mud with the other team.. drinking and singing (some clubs still sing). Ruggers are a rare breed my friend.

I would say see if your town has hash runners (group runs with a pub crawl), tough mudders might be a good fit or other running and cycling groups have a pretty good social aspect... or can.

I personally am going back into the mountain biking role.

Good luck.....
    HOLD FAST!
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Weight training and yoga for flexibility!
    A lot of the time, active people forget these two things that are equally as important as cardio: Flexibility and Strength Training. These can help keep you from getting injured again.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ex rugby player here too. I have knee problems as well. I love to mountain bike - not a team sport but I love the burn. Also anything outdoors keeps me sane as well. More often than not you'll bump into other like minded people. Nothing replaces the team spirit of a rugby team but it sounds like its time to move on and find other avenues. Keep lifting and find other ways to keep your fitness going.

Thought of managing ? Great way to stay in the thick of it.

Good luck