New mommy trying to lose pregnancy weight

Options
Just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on March 25, 2014. I weighed roughly 125 lbs pre pregnancy and looked great for the first month after his birth, but have now packed on the pounds and now weigh roughly 165-170 (scared to look what it is now). I've always had trouble maintaining a healthy weight and for my build I looked best at 130. Would love help getting back there but I'm still breastfeeding so can't go back to my "raw foods" diet. Help?! :( Diet plans, exercises and verbal/emotional support is needed and much appreciated. I at one point weight 189 lbs and I'm scared of going back, but being a full time mommy its difficult to find time to go to the gym and memberships are just too expensive. I walk quite a bit, usually, but its been too hot lately to take my LO out so until it cools off I'm stuck indoors.

best of luck to everyone else on reaching their goals!
xx

Replies

• pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    www.parents.com or other breastfeeding sites will give accurate information. Just search healthy diet for breastfeeding moms.
    And congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • tattooedmother22
    Options
    Thank you! Will definitely check it out :)
  • xipher1
    xipher1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not a new mommy, but my wife is, so I understand it can be tough. I'm not exactly sure why you can't go for a raw diet, it's perfectly healthy to do that and produce enough milk for your little one, as long as you're getting a balanced diet. A quick google of Raw Diet Breastfeeding will show you lots of different plans. That said, my wife is pescetarian (vegetarian, but will eat fish a few times a week). I'm the one who generally cooks, but you could do similar things that I do.

One night a week I make a big pot of vegetarian chili. I usually use a variety of beans, and some form of whole grain, like spelt or quinoa or something of that sort to bulk it out. Toss in whatever root vegetables you have as well, swede, beetroot, carrot, etc. Add spices (chili powder, turmeric, cayenne, cumin) to taste. And at the last 5 minutes of cooking toss in a whole bunch of kale or silverbeet or chard, and let it wilt down and then stir in. This will be a great dinner, and then easy lunches for the next few days.

One night, make a big pot of soup, just go to yummly or something similar, and find a soup you think will be nice, and make a big batch of it, again this will make a dinner or 2, and lunches.

2 nights a week are usually salmon. Options are ceviche (if you can get sashimi grade salmon), roast, pan fried, grilled, the options are pretty limitless. If you're adventurous get a big salmon head or 2 from your fish monger and try them (they're the best part, and really cheap). 1 night a week is usually a white fish of some sort, monk, ling, cod, tilapia, doesn't matter. Just prepare it how you like it. These are all served with a salad and a steamed cuciferous vegetable (cauliflower, brocolli etc) or a salad and a sauteed green with garlic (bok choy, silverbeet, kale, etc)

One night a week we usually go out for dinner, weather to a restaurant or to a families place, you can't control this, so just enjoy yourself. If you're at a restaurant, skip the deep fried, and go for something lighter.

Keep a lot of fruit around the house, when you feel like a snack or something sweet, have an apple, or a pear, or a handful of berries. It's really satisfying.

As for the heat, we're in Hong Kong, and it's summer, I'm pretty sure it doesn't get much hotter than here, and we take our LO out all the time, just keep him in a hat, and duck in to aircon from time to time. Malls are a decent place to walk around with aircon and get out a bit as well.

Good luck!
  • tattooedmother22
    Options
    Those meal plans sounds absolutely delightful! My husband doesn't follow my eating habits so needless to say, those sound great for freezing and eating later! Thank you, tons! Fish has been my main meat as of lately so it definitely suits me for the time being...
    As for the heat, you're probably right. I neglected to mention Im a step mother to a twelve year old autistic boy and my infant cries in the heat, so sadly that's a no can do in the outdoors. Although, I just found out there's a free indoor track I can take them all to so my walking will continue. Thank you again and best of luck to you, your wife and your goals!
  • xipher1
    xipher1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised at how satisfying the chili is. I'm not a big soup fan personally, but my wife loves it, so I've adapted. I'm flexitarian, so some days I want a steak or a burger or something, I do this when we go out to eat, or on a fish night, I'll just cook 2 separate meats, fish for her, something else for me.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not a new mommy or anything like that, but I do know what it's like feeling like there is no time to exercise. A lot of us have very busy schedules, we just need to fit the exercise in. If you can't go out, try buying a couple exercise DVDs and exercise in the comfort of your own TV. I've been doing that and I've lost quite a bit of weight. "DIET" is not a good word to use, you're trying to lose weight and keep the weight off, this is why we're going to call this a "healthy lifestyle."
  • ClairAnnex
    ClairAnnex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your little boy!

I have a two year old and a 7 month old, I find time to exercise once they are in bed on my exercise bike, it only cost £80 and I got dumbbells for £10 so I have all I need for myself for much less than the gym would cost in the long run! I must admit I didn't start my health kick when I was still breastfeeding but that alone will also help you burn calories! Good luck :)
  • EmmaEVille13
    EmmaEVille13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I certainly am not a mummy myself yet but a friend of mine used the magic of breastfeeding and healthy eating to drop a lot of weight. she started running as well with baby in pram :)

No need to go raw food diet. Just maintain a healthy diet with a calorie deficit and you should see success.

However to have a starting point I would suggest stepping on the scales now