The Biggest Loser show seems to contradict what were taught

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Sorry but you are wrong. Insurance companies don't pay for it just because. If you are developing complications due to the excess skin that that's different but not for vanity reasons.

In reference to the insurance company issue, it really depends on your insurance company and the plan your company chooses. Some insurance plans do cover all or partial elective surgeries, especially for issues that arise as a result of pregnancy -- so a tummy tuck may very well be on certain plans. Others won't at all.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Their food is mostly protein. It's a myth that you need as much protein as usually advocated to retain muscle mass. 500-600 calories of protein would be enough. Don't forget that these are people who work out for hours every day, people who didn't work out before, so you can expect some newbie gains too

I think you are saying it wrong because 500/4= grams of protein.

You are right, I did mean 125-150 grams, but I chose to use calories to put it into perspective that it is entirely possible to get enough protein on a 800-1200 calorie diet.

Most women only need 40-60g unless you're an athlete. I lose about 2-3 pounds week sticking to 800-1200. I do light home strength training and walking. That's it.

What you do and claim is working for you would not work for many women here and in general. Please don't use the term 'most women' when you're just using yourself as your evidence.
    The general rec for women is usually 46-50g.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are right, the contestants on the biggest loser are able to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time without very many consequences it seems. So it would seem that there is nothing wrong with losing that much weight that fast and people here are just being killjoys with their continuous chanting of 'just exercise and eat at a deficit, don't starve yourself, and don't try to lose too fast.' That is how it seems.

Here is the truth, life is not a reality tv show. Those people on that show have their diets pretty rigidly planned out for them and they have celebrity trainers and weigh ins every week. They don't have to go to work and they don't have to go to school. Normal people don't get that. Real life is not like that. If we all lived in a biggest loser world, then I would see nothing wrong with the biggest loser approach to weight loss. But in the real world, that approach is pretty much destined to fail after a while, which is why people advise you not to go down that route. They don't want you to set yourself up for disappointment. That approach works on the show, but it is not sustainable in real life.
    And how exactly would you know that? Are you assuming that because The Biggest Loser doesn't put out an update letting us know that certain people did have complications? I mean why, wouldn't they? All that would do is make them look better. Right? Oh wait, It Wouldnt.
    I have a friend that was a contestant on the show - and he ended up having skin removal surgery after the show was over - which he paid for himself, not by the network. So....they don't all end up without extra skin.

If you have a large amount of extra skin insurance companies pay for tummy tucks. Mine did
    Sorry but you are wrong. Insurance companies don't pay for it just because. If you are developing complications due to the excess skin that that's different but not for vanity reasons.

They regularly bring back finalists from previous seasons to act as inspiration for the current season's contestants. They also have updates about many of them on their website. Some of them are actually working as fitness instructors themselves on the Biggest Loser Ranch resorts around the country.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    They told us in school that turtles can't speak. But then I see the previews for TMNT movie and it shows turtles really can talk!
  • AnswerzPwease
    AnswerzPwease Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Never mind, I skimmed your post before replying. So you're insisting that the show is actually a healthy way to lose weight?

Did you honestly miss the entire paragraph where I said:

"I want to be clear that I am NOT claiming the Biggest Loser way to be healthy, or the "right/ideal" way to lose weight."
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    This guy again.

That guy again.
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    1. Starvation mode doesn't happen until a person is literally starving, under 5% BF for men and something around 8% in women. So yeah, no starvation mode for Biggest Loser contestants.

2. Genetics and age.

3. They were obese with a large amount of muscle mass to begin with, worked out a ton, had specialized diets and they dropped a lot of fat. They have celebrity trainers for a reason.

4. You do not need proper nutrition to lose weight. You need a calorie deficit. You know this because you've asked this exact same question 10 times in the last month.

5. They are on a television show. It would not be popular and renewed if contestants didn't lose exciting amounts of weight. Health isn't the concern, ratings are.

Are you really basing proper weight loss and nutrition on a sensationalistic television show?

Good stuff. I appreciate you actually commenting on the points!
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    This guy again.

My thoughts exactly.

You're pretty damn hot so I have nothing negative to see in response.
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    No, the reality is much simpler. Nutrition is bullsh*t.

My 3 month old daughter needs only milk to thrive and have the energy to get through the day, and the contestants, and anyone else with that level of bodyfat...

Will use the stores of fatty acids on their body as food. So long as essential vitamins and minerals are ingested, along with essential amino acids, you don't need to eat.

There was a 400 pound man in the 70's who fasted for 380 days under doctor's supervision. Couple missteps in refeeding him, but he got to 180 or something like that, and to this day he's slightly overweight, not obese like he used to be.

What we NEED for nutrition is only what this magnificent machine requires.

Most of the starvation mode, eating to fuel, it's all hype.

Coma patients exist on protien powder with added carbs and fats, in a shake, fed through a feeding tube.

I mean, honestly, the fact that we all haven't woken up to this realization before now is astounding. At least, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm ashamed of myself for not following common sense.

ETA: eat for your body. Eat what you like. And if you start to gain fat, change your diet slightly, and find what works for you. If you want to lose weight for a boxing match or to look thinner, the principles are the same. You are what you eat.

Interesting thoughts.

Not sure I agree, but interesting none the less...
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    I agree completely, I think we should adhere to the rules of the show instead, don't you?

On an unrelated note, I was watching this show called Game Of Thrones, and I saw dragons flying around. Doesn't this go against everything we've been led to believe? I am going to pray to the old gods and the new to send me some damn dragon eggs, that seems like the right thing to do in this case. I'll lose weight super fast, be ripped and I'll have some awesome dragons to boot.

I laughed.

But yeah, real people losing real weight albeit in an unhealthy way, is definitely comparable to dragons and gods and so forth.

You got me.
  • AnswerzPwease
    Options
    It's incredibly clear that the majority of people who replied to this thread didn't actually read the entirety of the original post.

Never did I say that it was healthy, or smart, or the right thing to do. I simply pointed out results that happened that seem to contradict what we are told would NOT happen.

But hey, flame on ;)
  • bevers1948
    bevers1948 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wish The Biggest Loser would have more on the preparation of their foods.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    That's not the point. Bringing back success stories is a no brainer but how quick would they be to bring back people who experienced negative effects as a result?
    It's been on for 10 years with hundreds of contestants. No one's been hurt badly enough for the show to be taken off the air for hurting people or for people to quit clamoring to get on it.

I'm sure there have been a lot of negative effects, and a LOT of unmaintained losses, just like in any weight loss group. I think overall it's probably done way more good for human health.

Not that I watch it. They treat the people too much like circus freaks for me.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It's incredibly clear that the majority of people who replied to this thread didn't actually read the entirety of the original post.

Never did I say that it was healthy, or smart, or the right thing to do. I simply pointed out results that happened that seem to contradict what we are told would NOT happen.

But hey, flame on ;)

To be fair, it's not even necessarily unhealthy. With exercise and adequate protein, you can push your weight loss pretty far when you're as big as those contestants, oftentimes with no real health consequences. You could even argue that hitting a healthy weight more quickly is better for your health, given the health consequences of morbid obesity. The reason you see people advocating less aggressive weight loss guidelines is largely because attempting to imitate those results on your own is a bad idea for a lot of reasons. Not that you couldn't do it, potentially even in a healthy fashion, given the right diet and exercise routine (it would be pretty miserable though), but the more likely case is that people would make themselves miserable and/or inadvertently damage their health.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My son lost 55 lbs in 14 weeks eating 1200 calories and exercising like the world was coming to a rapid end (which it kind of was for him since he was so unhealthy). Once he finished the program he went on to lose another 65 lbs on his own and has kept them off. I think that a quick program like that can get someone started in the right path. But yeah, ultimately is a show... More like a very long commercial for stuff like Subway and Britta.
  • edgeninja
    edgeninja Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My mom is addicted to that show. Yet she actually doesn't follow any of the advice.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

But hey, flame on ;)

You started out your post by saying the show contradicts what we were taught, and then used an all out myth in "starvation mode" as a fact we were taught.......who's flaming again?
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    MFP does teach starvation mode. It's right in their software message. Or did they finally get rid of it?

The weight loss shows do disprove most of the stuff you read here about steep deficits and 'net calories'. It doesn't really matter that a 'week' is 10 days or that they live in a gym. They're live people losing all that weight in a short amount of time. If it's dangerous for us to 'net' less than 1200, how come all their gall bladders haven't dropped out with 'nets' each day in the negative thousands for months on end?