I feel so stupid

Options
I let myself get badly sunburned last Friday while playing volleyball on a company holiday at a water park. I put sunscreen on my head, neck, and arms, which are all fine, but my shoulders and chest got second-degree burns that are still extremely painful. My back is also somewhat burned.

Some skin peeled off last night, revealing that even the deeper layer of skin is burned and rough. I can also see that more freckles have appeared on my shoulders.

My grandmother had melanoma, and I am very white. My chances of getting melanoma have surely increased after that Friday.

I don't care about the pain for now, even though it makes certain exercises quite difficult. I'm afraid I'll get melanoma one day because of this. It would have taken one minute longer to put sunscreen on my chest and shoulders. I'll never let this happen again.

Replies

• Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't strictly related to fitness and exercise but I thought it was relevant for those who like to exercise outdoors.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Went to Florida in April. Got severely burned at Magic Kingdom, Universal and Daytona Beach. Luckily kept everything moisturized, but I'm still a little pink (and very freckly) on my shoulders and shoulder blades.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Why are you telling us about this. See your Doctor. Put your mind at ease.
  • suiteblooms
    suiteblooms Posts: 100
    Options
    I used to use tanning beds and I have several remaining scars from having skin cancer removed. Now I wear sunscreen everytime I run outside, and of course I quit tanning. I read a great idea the other day though. It's a good idea to use your cell phone to take pics of your moles once a month. Then you don't have to wonder if it looks different. You have a month by month pic to be sure.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.

tumblr_inline_msxmoafkWq1qz4rgp.gif
  • gary241069
    Options
    donyellemoniq. Are you following me?:laugh: lol
  • gary241069
    Options
    I used to use tanning beds and I have several remaining scars from having skin cancer removed. Now I wear sunscreen everytime I run outside, and of course I quit tanning. I read a great idea the other day though. It's a good idea to use your cell phone to take pics of your moles once a month. Then you don't have to wonder if it looks different. You have a month by month pic to be sure.

Good idea
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    While it does increase your chances, it's still not a sure thing (It's just a percentage increase). Try not to freak out.

I do agree with the PP who suggested talking to the doctor ... multiple depth burns are worthy of a trip in, IMO. There may not be much they can do, but it's better to be safe, right?
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm a fair skin (think deathly pale) redhead and a 12 yr melanoma survivor. If you have concerns, see your Doctor, better still ask for a referral to a dermatologist. He can put your mind at ease, *kitten* your risk nd tell you what to look for.