Any people here that DIDN'T gain weight with Mirena

Options

Replies

• rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    All people react to hormones differently.

^^this....i had a bad experience, had it removed. good luck with yours though. i have friends who have it with no issues. like she said, everyone is different!
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I got mine last Thursday. I know it isn't long compared to some others here but I've not gained anything. In fact I've lost weight (just because I've been extra cautious with diet etc until I'm given all clear to exercise).
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena and have had it for the last year and a half. I gained no weight on it. My doctor put me on it because it only releases hormones into the uterus, not the blood stream like other birth controls (which can make you gain weight). The first month I had it I was absolutely miserable--constant cramping, surprise spotting, etc. and I even made an appointment to had it removed. That said, after the first 3.5 weeks I LOVE it. Non-existant periods (though some minor PMS symptoms still), I don't worry about pregnancy or forgetting to take my pill, etc. It's been fantastic for me. Stay away from forums--they were terrifying when I first got mine and had such miserable cramping.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena and have had it for the last year and a half. I gained no weight on it. My doctor put me on it because it only releases hormones into the uterus, not the blood stream like other birth controls (which can make you gain weight). The first month I had it I was absolutely miserable--constant cramping, surprise spotting, etc. and I even made an appointment to had it removed. That said, after the first 3.5 weeks I LOVE it. Non-existant periods (though some minor PMS symptoms still), I don't worry about pregnancy or forgetting to take my pill, etc. It's been fantastic for me. Stay away from forums--they were terrifying when I first got mine and had such miserable cramping.

The hormones might not be released directly into the blood, but you can't just contain hormones in the uterus. Even the Mirena site states that some hormones will enter the blood stream.
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

The hormones might not be released directly into the blood, but you can't just contain hormones in the uterus. Even the Mirena site states that some hormones will enter the blood stream.

In comparison to birth control pills and other contraceptives and just hormone concentrations in general, the amount that makes it into the bloodstream is negligible, no?

20 mcg of levonorgestrel a day is released initially. This amount is decreased by about 50% over the five years. In comparison, at least 0.18 MG, not MCG are released into the bloodstream daily on your typical low dosage birth control (I'm using thepill, or ortho tri cyclen lo, for reference here).

That means 0.02 mg of levonorgestrel is released into your uterus initially, which is a relatively small amount to be released overall, making the amount that makes it into your bloodstream insignificant.

Edit:
    Here are my sources: http://labeling.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/Mirena_PI.pdf

https://www.thepill.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Tri-Cyclen_Lo_PI.pdf
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

In comparison to birth control pills and other contraceptives and just hormone concentrations in general, the amount that makes it into the bloodstream is negligible, no?

20 mcg of levonorgestrel a day is released initially. This amount is decreased by about 50% over the five years. In comparison, at least 0.18 MG, not MCG are released into the bloodstream daily on your typical low dosage birth control (I'm using thepill, or ortho tri cyclen lo, for reference here).

That means 0.02 mg of levonorgestrel is released into your uterus initially, which is a relatively small amount to be released overall, making the amount that makes it into your bloodstream insignificant.

I wouldn't say anything is negligible. It might be a small amount, but it's still there. It's also impossible to tell how much each woman might have make it into her blood because that would vary.

I'm someone who had a positive experience on it. I've also had a positive experience with Ortho tri cyclen. I wasn't saying she shouldn't, I was just pointing out that the hormones can make it into the blood.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yes, here!:smile:

Lost weight while on Mirena.
    Did not gain weight.
    No problems.
    No periods after 6 months (and who can not love that!)

Would do it again all over, but 5 years earlier.

:love: :love: :love:
  • hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My mirena has been the best thing I've ever done! (my husband agrees!). My first TOM was pretty horrible (worst cramps EVER!) but they slowly went away - along with my period. I've had it now for 4 years, haven't had a period in a couple of years, never cramp, no mood swings, no weight gain - nothing but AWESOMENESS! Hurts like a ***** getting it inserted, but 100% worth it. Will do it again in a heartbeat!
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm on year 6 (so a full five year stint, and one year in on my second) and I LOVE it. No weight gain issues at all, and the no-more-period side effect is awesome. Initial insertion and replacement was not pleasant, but since that only happens once every five years, I figure it's worth it.
  • be_dazzled
    be_dazzled Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 years in. No negative side effects and lost over 100 pounds while using it.
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine! I have had it for almost three years, and I've lost thirty pounds with it. Any weight that I have gained has been from poor food choices and eating too much!

I don't have a period, don't have to worry about pill absorption/timing, and don't have to worry about pregnancy.

Insertion was not comfortable at all. If they offer you a pre-insertion painkiller, take it. I turned it down because I have a high pain tolerance, but I wished I hadn't. The pain was like a short glimpse at what I imagine childbirth to be! I haven't had kids, so that is probably why it was so uncomfortable. The pain was short lived, and I felt fine that afternoon. I spotted for about three days, and since then I haven't had any problems or side effects.

However, I will have another one installed in two years, and I already have the appointment lined up. The pain is worth the peace of mind!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight on Mirena. I used my first one for the full 5 years with no complications. I then had it removed and replaced also with no complications. I'm on the 5th month of my 2nd one and everything is fine. The only side effect I've had is that I lost my menstrual periods but they were so heavy and painful that I don't mind that one iota. Every few months I do, however get paranoid that I'm pregnant and take a pregnancy test. No positives yet! LOL!

I do have to add that my younger sister got Mirena after having her daughter and had to have it removed after only 2 months as her uterus is much smaller than average and her endometriosis also caused issues with it. She's thinking about getting the Skyla since it's smaller.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    im on my 2nd one, and i didnt gain weight at all..not only that, but with my first, i didnt get my monthly for about 2 1/2 years, then after that is was light..with this one its been about 3 1/2 and no monthly..and best of all, no pills to remember
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have had mine in for about 5 months now and I love it. No weight gain, and I've lost 3 lbs since I've started counting calories a few weeks ago.
  • fuzzysham
    fuzzysham Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    To answer to a previous poster- the reason I didn't chose ParaGard ( right now, depending how I will do on the Mirena) is that I remember having heavy periods before I was on hormonal birth control ( when I was 16 so thats almost been 10 years now). (add- they have always been VERY regular though- exactly 28 days, to the hour!)

But if for some reason ( knock on wood) Mirena doesn't agree with me, I'm gonna probably go try out the ParaGard, which I like the idea of no additional hormones. because this is damn convenient so far!

Now if only my boyfriend would become less stressed and we could actually try the thing out....
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for 6 or 7 years now and it has made zero difference to my weight. My Doctor recommended it to get me through menopause with a slow release, low dose hormone as opposed to HRT. No problems whatsoever, it did what it was supposed to, and the unpredictable, super heavy periods tapered off and stopped in about 8 weeks.
  • allieO3390
    allieO3390 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had both mirena and paragaurd. My paragaurd was in for a year and I had near constant bleeding (I didn't bleed for about 3 weeks combined during that year). My doctor just kept telling me to wait it out but I finally got fed up and had it taken out. I didn't experience any weight gain during the time I had it but my bleeding was heavier and I had the worst cramps of my life (and I had bad cramps to begin with). I have been on Mirena since February and have lost all of my weight while on it. I still have cramps that are worse than before I was on any IUD (and weird upper thigh cramps that the doctor said are normal on IUDs). I also have had longer and more frequent and heavy periods while on Mirena than I did before. I think I am still bleeding 3 out of 4 weeks in a month. But because that is still comparably way better than paragaurd I am waiting it out. I have no other birth control options as I have reactions to estrogen and I have tried all other progesterone alternatives so hopefully it will get better.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've had one for 2yrs and didn't gain weight. I also have PCOS.

I don't love my mirena though, won't get it replaced when it runs out.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Had one. Kept it for 4 years. No side effects. Actually, yes there were, but good ones. I did not have a period, I also had no cramping or spotting, or any other TOM issues. My acne cleared up, and I lost weight. No change in diet or exercise, and in the first 6 months of having it, I lost 30 lbs and kept it off.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and weighed 150 when it was all said and done. I had mirena placed on after my 4th. I am 115 now :)