To-Go Lunch Ideas

Options
HI all,

I need some ideas for things to make for taking my lunch with me, whether to work or school. Right now, I'm working and have access to a refrigerator/freezer. I get SO bored with Lean Cuisine-type meals and basic sandwiches. Next month, I'll be back at school 3 days a week, where I won't have access to any refrigeration and will have to keep my lunch on me until it's time to eat. I went back to school last year but wasn't there during lunchtime, so this is my first time dealing with this issue. Any ideas on QUICK and EASY lunches I can take with me to school (and work for now)? Thanks!!!

Replies

• dbustamante76
    Options
    Depending on your work load you can always pre cook your food at night or for the week on the weekends. That's what i usually do just so im not rushing in the mornings.
  • Kelz7997
    Kelz7997 Posts: 3
    Options
    I like to make deli wraps minus the wrap. Take some veggies, sliced peppers and cucumbers work well and add a slice of lighter cheese and a piece of low sodium turkey and roll them up. . Make a few of theses and take honey mustard for dipping.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Get an insulated lunch bag and some ice packs. Unless it's REALLY hot, that'll do until lunch time. My favorites are:

Salads
    Sandwiches
    A monkey plate: This is what we call cut up veggies with dip (guac or hummus), cheese/pepperoni/crackers, berries, etc. All finger foods.
    Chicken salad served in logs of celery.
    Leftovers of whatever I had the night before if you have a place to heat them up.
    Soup in a thermos
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Investigate canned goods. I normally keep a can of tuna in my drawer that I can throw over a salad. Or a can of soup and a roll (more for the winter though).

Last night I was quite busy and didn't have time to really prepare something for lunch today so grabbed a can of cannellini beans, a can of tuna and a spicy sauce to dollop on top!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i've always just taken sandwiches to work, for years but 2 weeks ago i just had enough, they're so dull

so i had an idea and it's working perfectly, Smothies

i make my smoothie the night before, poor it into my insulated mug/flask/thing and then stick that straight in the freezer

the next morning i get ready for work and then take my Smoothie out of the freezer, stick it in a sandwich bag (just incase the lid get loose) and it's off to work i go

i leave it sat on my desk all day long, then when it comes to lunch time at 12:30, i take the lid off and find it's all perfectly defrosted but still nice a cold

it's been an absolute god send, especially in this summer heat
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have recently been trying to make stuff like this (I am not anything like that good yet but nori is fun):
    smiling-bento.jpg
    bento_box_24.jpg
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I often take leftovers from the night before, so that could be pasta, vegetable stew, vegetable stir fry etc. They can often be eaten cold the next day or reheated, so it's good either way.

I'm a big fan of couscous for lunch, I always find it fairly filling and it's easy to add vegetables and protein to it.

Salads are obviously a good option when you have no cooking facilities too. Plain salad is boring but dressings often whack the calories right up, so I like to make them with a really tangy or strong ingredient to make up for it; I like watermelon and feta salad the best. Very refreshing in summer too!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I always bring a salad and a meat. I change up my dressing and the meat choice so its not always the same. Leftover grilled chicken is my favorite.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Bump for more great ideas!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Yep. Grilled chicken and leftover veggies. Makes a nice cold salad with lemon juice and olive oil.
    I also eat 19 gram protein boca burgers in a sandwich thin. If you have a microwave it's quick.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    How about some raw vegetables and nuts along with some string cheese? Add some fruit, a frozen Gogurt, maybe some whole grain crackers – that would make a pretty good finger food meal. It doesn't have to be what you think of as a traditional lunch as long as it's healthy and fills you up. An insulated bag with an ice pack should keep that cool for a while.

When I'm going to be out running errands and know I'll get hungry, I usually put some raw almonds in a zip lock bag and a banana in my purse, or sometimes some baby carrots or sugar snap peas and cheese sticks in a small insulated bag.
  • malpal8629
    malpal8629 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    These are all such great ideas! Thank y'all so much! :))
  • malpal8629
    malpal8629 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • Princess71117
    Princess71117 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I like to make deli wraps minus the wrap. Take some veggies, sliced peppers and cucumbers work well and add a slice of lighter cheese and a piece of low sodium turkey and roll them up. . Make a few of theses and take honey mustard for dipping.
    I like light bologna wrapped around any veggie dipped in yogurt dips (usually only 25-30 cals for 2 tbsp)
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    How about some raw vegetables and nuts along with some string cheese? Add some fruit, a frozen Gogurt, maybe some whole grain crackers – that would make a pretty good finger food meal. It doesn't have to be what you think of as a traditional lunch as long as it's healthy and fills you up. An insulated bag with an ice pack should keep that cool for a while.

When I'm going to be out running errands and know I'll get hungry, I usually put some raw almonds in a zip lock bag and a banana in my purse, or sometimes some baby carrots or sugar snap peas and cheese sticks in a small insulated bag.
    That frozen protein gogurt is great. Tasty, low cal and selfrefrigerating.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I often take leftovers from the night before, so that could be pasta, vegetable stew, vegetable stir fry etc. They can often be eaten cold the next day or reheated, so it's good either way.

I'm a big fan of couscous for lunch, I always find it fairly filling and it's easy to add vegetables and protein to it.

Salads are obviously a good option when you have no cooking facilities too. Plain salad is boring but dressings often whack the calories right up, so I like to make them with a really tangy or strong ingredient to make up for it; I like watermelon and feta salad the best. Very refreshing in summer too!
    Cold leftovers are great! I especially love cold stir fry chicken or shrimp dishes. Cold broiled salmon is great cause you can flake it and eat it with raw veg and cream cheese or yogurt dip. Quinoa salad is really great too
  • tbpmt
    tbpmt Posts: 4
    Options
    I second the insulated lunch bag with ice packs idea posted above. :smile:

Salad (greens, veggies, meat or beans, cheese, dressing...I like to use salsa and guacamole as dressings), fruit and cheese, lettuce wraps, hard boiled eggs, apple slices with peanut butter, refrigerator oatmeal (put oatmeal, milk, and fruit in a sealed container overnight and voila!), tuna or chicken salad.
  • jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband has a Mr.Bento lunch box and it keeps his lunch warm when he eats it at noon. He does not like using the company fridge or microwave.

If you want something fun, peel cucumber, cut off the ends, and use a long knife to hollow out the seeds. Stuff the cumber with tuna salad or egg salad or what ever then cut. It's like sushi or a wrap but without the bread.
  • stardance1
    stardance1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have mentioned bentos. They're designed to be stored at room temperature so no refrigeration is necessary and there are so many creative options. http://www.justbento.com is my favorite site with recipes and complete bento ideas.