Replies

• moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bump for the great cleaning tips! :smile:
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I never use fabric softener on workout clothes. Most of mine are wicking material and it is not good for that type of material. It stops the wicking ability.

WAIT WHAT!?

Everything I have that is UnderArmour brand says not to use fabric softener on it, I never really thought about the reason though.

Fabric softner coats the fibers of your fabrics with a waxy coating, which then repels moisture. As a result, the fabric ends up losing its absorbency. Therefore, any fabric you intend to absorb moisture (bath towels, dish towels, workout clothes, socks, etc) will lose its effectiveness over time. Look at your fabric softner dispenser--see that film of ick? That's on your clothes.

I have quit using fabric softner altogether--just put white vinegar in the rinse cycle. My towels no longer get that musty odor, my gym clothes don't smell, and everything is soft and absorbs moisture as it should. And nothing smells like vinegar once they are dried.

(another benefit: vinegar costs pennies per load. Much cheaper than commercial fabric softner)
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump to keep on file for tips!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    bump
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    for me since I work out 5 days a week I have 5 different sets of workout clothes and everything gets washed on Saturday and I have not had any issues
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Bump and thank you.
  • YukiAsuna
    YukiAsuna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Great tips!
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Vinegar works, but you also may have detergent build-up on your clothes. Try soaking in a vinegar/water mix and rewash, this time with no detergent. Hang the clothes in the sun. You may need to set this set of workout clothes aside for a while to let the smell go away. Also, don't store your wet dirty clothes in plastic bags, or at least take them out when you leave the gym and let them air out.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kxll01
    kxll01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a sports detergent made for the wicking material. My dd had a uniform that no matter how soon or what it was washed in had an odor. I soaked it in the detergent, then washed. Now I just use it as a maintenance, not for every wash since it rather expensive but did the job.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I never use fabric softener on workout clothes. Most of mine are wicking material and it is not good for that type of material. It stops the wicking ability.

WAIT WHAT!?

Everything I have that is UnderArmour brand says not to use fabric softener on it, I never really thought about the reason though.

Fabric softner coats the fibers of your fabrics with a waxy coating, which then repels moisture. As a result, the fabric ends up losing its absorbency. Therefore, any fabric you intend to absorb moisture (bath towels, dish towels, workout clothes, socks, etc) will lose its effectiveness over time. Look at your fabric softner dispenser--see that film of ick? That's on your clothes.

I have quit using fabric softner altogether--just put white vinegar in the rinse cycle. My towels no longer get that musty odor, my gym clothes don't smell, and everything is soft and absorbs moisture as it should. And nothing smells like vinegar once they are dried.

(another benefit: vinegar costs pennies per load. Much cheaper than commercial fabric softner)

OK but what if you just soak a sponge in fabric softner and throw it in the dryer with your gym clothes? You know, as a dryer sheet. This way I can get the fresh smell, but will it coat my fabric and harm its wickability?

Don't use fabric softener AT ALL on anything that you want to absorb moisture.

Also not a good idea for any waterproof-but-breathable outerwear. It won't make it less waterproof but it will very quickly kill the "breathable" property!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Tide with Febreze works pretty well for us.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

WAIT WHAT!?

OK but what if you just soak a sponge in fabric softner and throw it in the dryer with your gym clothes? You know, as a dryer sheet. This way I can get the fresh smell, but will it coat my fabric and harm its wickability?

Not the same ingredients in general. The "rinsable" softeners are different from the "heat-in" fabric softeners.

Essentially, odour in clothes are from bacteria and material build up - remove them and you're good. Many ways to do this: mild acids (vinegar), mild bases and oxygenating/bleaching agents (bleach, or oxygen bleach like oxy, or sodium bicarbonate), or like my old, M.D. great grandparent did: boil the white sheets. No kidding there.

Ideally, sports clothes get washed on their own with a low-buildup detergent. No fabric softener (that thing is actually designed to build up). Good cold water detergent works well. I am then partial to oxy-clean for tough cases. In "total loss" scenarios with uber-stinky clothes, I'll buy an actual sports wash. They usually work, but are expensive (Assos rehabilitated some horrible cycling polyester jerseys with sentimental value, if bad quality).

I used to work for a major detergent / consumer product manufacturer. Actually the largest detergent plant in the western hemisphere. You learn a lot on what works and what doesn't.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My son played football. Went to camp in August with 21 changes of clothes and towels. As they got used they were thrown in garbage bags and returned home that way a week later. The stank was so bad it made my eyes water.
    The first wash was vinegar to counteract the ammonia.
    Second wash was detergent and bleach.
    Two rinses
    Then line dry in the sun.

I found that synthetics hold on the odor more than cotton.
    I tried oxyclean and that seemed to help also.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the funk that Tide Sport has been able to kill. Sometimes my naughty cat will pee on my dirty clothes, and it even gets THAT stench out.

I also like line drying, especially for moisture wicking fabrics.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bump to save! :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    tide makes a sport kind that works on stinky workout and restaurant job clothes. it works great. you can add in baking soda and/or vinegar to the wash for a more natural way.
  • SoManyCookies
    SoManyCookies Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet, but Tee trea oil. Just google how to dilute it for cleaning... works wonders!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I know you said you tried putting them in the sun but that's my trick. It does wonders for my kids diapers, NO smells or stains! And my workout clothes as well. I'd also try the sanitize cycle on my machine but be careful because extreme heat can ruin the elasticity of athletic clothing, that's why you should never put them in the dryer.... hang dry only like the label says!