Loose weight while breast feeding question

Options
Hello everyone my name is Jill. I am currently trying to loose about 50 lbs. I am breast feeding my 3 month old. And want to continue to do so and not loose my supply. Can anyone give me some advice as to how you did it?
Thank you

Replies

• 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use to log it as exercise but others log it as food which is probably a better way to do it. If you are exclusively breastfeeding, I would stick with the 500 calories overage but as you move to solids then you can really start adjusting your calories.

Here is some information about losing weight while breastfeeding: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I followed the cal goals and eating ideas i found from breast feeding websites.

on here you can find diary entries for breastfeeding in the food diary that will add extra cals to your day (around 300).

if you have done the rest of your sign up honestly and then you add in those cals you should be on target for weight loss.

also if you prefer to try the TDEE method use a site like scooby and still add those breastfeeding cals once you calculate your cal and macro goals using a site like that.

either way it's approximately 300 extra cals you need per day for breastfeeding.

La Leche league is an excellent resource to turn to whenever you feel your milk is going down and you want tips to get more. Our family tip is a product called "maizena" that's sold in spanish section of markets. it's a drink. overall staying hydrated is crucial but you probably already know that.

:flowerforyou: here's to great choices like breastfeeding for your little one! and minding your weight for you AND your little one!
  • JillianSheltonVPW
    Options
    Thank you I will check that website out
  • JillianSheltonVPW
    Options
    I followed the cal goals and eating ideas i found from breast feeding websites.

on here you can find diary entries for breastfeeding in the food diary that will add extra cals to your day (around 300).

if you have done the rest of your sign up honestly and then you add in those cals you should be on target for weight loss.

also if you prefer to try the TDEE method use a site like scooby and still add those breastfeeding cals once you calculate your cal and macro goals using a site like that.

either way it's approximately 300 extra cals you need per day for breastfeeding.

La Leche league is an excellent resource to turn to whenever you feel your milk is going down and you want tips to get more. Our family tip is a product called "maizena" that's sold in spanish section of markets. it's a drink. overall staying hydrated is crucial but you probably already know that.

:flowerforyou: here's to great choices like breastfeeding for your little one! and minding your weight for you AND your little one!

I go have a LLL that is close to me, Ive been meaning to attend. Maybe this is a good time :)
    Thank you
  • 3proud
    3proud Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lost the rest of my pregnancy weight plus ten more around the 4 month mark by counting calories to 1800 give or take (I walked an hour a day). I think I may have burned around 600 for nursing until she started solids around 7 months or so. I never saw a dip in my supply and she nursed on demand.

I stopped losing and the weight has started to creep back because I stopped counting and was eating probably closer to 2500 daily and 3000 on the weekends. I am still on the lower end of my weight range (129, 5, 5" and medium build). I am still nursing and accounting for about 200 calories but my child is 15 months. Finding it really hard to lose back to 125 now because I enjoy eating massive amts of food.

Oh and I add breastfeeding to my exercise calories. I used to add it as negative food but it messed with my macros.

Also. WATER WATER WATER! and don't dip below 1500 (total) for more than 1 day.