Can you maintain your weight by not tracking food

Options

Replies

• bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I haven't try that yet, but I have the feeling that I can't maintain without logging. Eight months ago, I gained 20 pounds, and I was eating too much healthy food and working out four times per week. Plus by logging I can monitor my iron and protein intake.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Of course you can...there are millions of people who are healthy and fit who have never logged a food diary.

I have maintained for over a year without keeping a diary...but I've also made substantial changes to my diet (noun) and I rock my fitness. Most people who have weight issues fail to actually make any long term, substantial changes to their dietary habits and ultimately slack off on fitness to boot...they soon return to old habits and find themselves back on the yo-yo.

I'm actually not supposed to be tracking , my dietician is urging me to trust myself. The reason I'm still tracking is I have changed my whole lifestyle and because of that I don't eat enough so I'm trying to learn how to eat more. Every time I make it to at least my base calories, I do a happy dance. :-) also, I was recently diag nosed with silent reflux and the ENT took away all my favorite fooda. :tongue:

So hopefully I will stabilize this year and stop logging.:smile:
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I was going to stop logging and try doing the No S diet; no sweets, no seconds and no snacks except on days that start with S; saturday and sunday. But after thinking about it I realized that logging helps me not underestimate what I am eating. Soooo many hidden calories in everything you eat and drink except water and I am too busy to remember everything that I eat in the course of a day. So for me, I'll continue logging food as well as doing the No S diet.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Some people can. I suck at it.
    If I'm not actively logging and paying attention I gain.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can. But I have never really been overweight. At the most I had 15 lbs to lose and that was back in college: a longer ago time than I want to admit.
  • newyorkmo
    newyorkmo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would think yes, but you are much more likely to succeed while not tracking if you eat the same several things or close to it every day. In that way although you are not formally tracking calories, you have a system that keeps you on target and close to your energy requirements for the day.

On the other hand, if you stop tracking and then also start adding loads of cookies and pizza and burgers and macaroni and cheese and ice cream and cake to your intake that you weren't eating before...well...you will probably gain it back, even if you're exercising.

just my guess.
  • julesribar
    julesribar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have most definitely learned the hard way that logging is the key to weight loss and staying on track. I was actively logging in consitently a couple yrs ago and lost 12 lbs which was my goal. Sure enough when you feel like you have it "down" you go it along and just the grazing and thinking "oh this is just a little somthing"...thats when the weight starts sneaking up. Logging in makes us accountable for ourself. Good luck and hope this helps.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I can't :/

Me either :grumble:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If I track my food, I am more honest about what i eat.

Yes, I agree.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Some can. Some can't. I, personally, can. Find out what works for you.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Can you maintain your financial life without knowing how much money you have in your checking account?

I know people who do, but I've never able to do so.

For me, weight management is no different.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    A lot of people go on routine. Or they log consistently when in maintenance to get an idea for what their allowances are, and then slowly wean off.

A lot of it is learning portion control and consistency. I know if I don't log it, sometimes I forget I've eaten it, especially if it's something that's not filling.

Personal choice, but it doesn't have to be all one way or the other. If you notice you're not maintaining, go back to logging for a while and find where your problem spot is!
  • julesribar
    julesribar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My personal thought is no. I tried going it alone about a yr ago and liittle by little the weight crept back so now I am back with a vengance!!! Hope this helps :smile:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Over 5 years ago (more like 7....ack, I'm getting old), I lost 70 lbs, and kept all but 10 lbs of it off for several years without logging...but I exercised a lot, including a lot of running and doing P90X. Eventually I began gaining more, but I never stopped the process of re-gaining once it began. I stopped caring and working at it. I think as long as you continue to weigh yourself, and notice how your clothes fit, you can. And if you start to notice you're having trouble...go back to logging again for a while.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can....at least so far. That being said I guess I still count calories in my head and just go off of those estimations, but don't actually log.

My TDEE is pretty high though so it's quite a bit easier for me which kinda falls in line with the post above about balancing your checkbook. It's much easier to live on estimations when your TDEE/bank balance is higher.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I lost the ~ 40 lb I needed to before I found MFP. I tracked for a while mainly to follow carbs for my prediabetes. When I got a handle on that (coupled with blood sugar readings), I quit tracking. I've been in maintenance for about 2 years. I just stay for the friends and the forum now!

I track my weight on a scale occasionally and if I see an upwards trend, I know I've started to drift, so I'll re-adjust. Since maintaining, my heaviest has been about 175 lb, but usually I'm around 170-172.

Do keep exercising, but do it for your health, not for weight. Weight control should primarily be from your diet.

If you feel you have a good idea about correct portion size etc for you, then give it a go and see.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    A lot of people can and do.

It's down to the individual, at how intuitive they are with thier portions.

Give it a go and see. The worst that will happen is it won't work for you and you may add on a couple of pounds that you will need to shift again.

Good Luck
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not even going to try! It's a lifestyle change which for me includes tracking my food and exercise. If I was paying attention to my food and exercise in the first place...I would not have put the weight on:wink:
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I track my food, I am more honest about what i eat.

THIS!