In need of new diet regiment

Options
Hi Everyone!

I've been eating like crap, and I don't know how to change it. I want to eat healthier, but I don't know where to start. I know what I need to do (buy healthy food--veggies, lean protein, etc), but it's difficult for me to stick to it.

I'm not looking for a diet--paleo, whole 30, etc. I want a lifestyle change. I try my hardest to fill out my diary everyday, but I'm not perfect. I have noticed that I eat alot of carbs. I know carbs can be good, but I might be eating too much of them? My breakfast this morning for example..... a blueberry bagel with cream cheese. Sometimes I feel like I don't know what my other options are so I go for what's easiest. Ugh!

Any suggestions? What have you done to alter your lifestyle diet?

Maybe I'm just venting and making excuses.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i just watch portion sizes, and make sensible choices as to what makes up those portions. some people prefer to cut carbs or fat, some people think its a waste of time to do so. its beyond me really, i only have experience in cutting calories and its worked great for me
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bagels and cream cheese? I see carbs, fat, and protein in that meal. Sounds like a win to me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    If going with "what's easiest" is your problem, as you identified, I'd recommend cooking more. Try in bigger batches so that you have easy to grab yet well balanced meals. Take a cooking class with a friend for a fun way to get started.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you haven't found it yet, I think this is a great starting point for beginners: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I also needed a change. I read a lot and began incorporating what I learned in ways I thought could be sustainable for me. For the last 12 or 13 years or so my diet looks a lot like South Beach Diet phase three and a lot like the Mediterranean Diet. (With Michael Pollan's mantra: "Eat food, not too much mostly plants" as my fall back). Lots of nutrient dense vegetables, lean meats, dairy, nuts, seeds, fruits, and whole grains. I generally don't eat a lot of enriched bleached flours, packaged convenience foods, and heavily processed foods with a lot of added sugars.
    With this approach, I've kept the weight off, and eaten really well all these years.
    But it started with really reading up on food and eating.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    For me, routine is the hardest part....

My day usually begins with either a protein shake, protein bar, or as of late, 2 hard boiled eggs and coffee to go from Kwik Trip.

Morning Snack - Apple

Lunch - mixed green and spinach Salad with fresh onions and red/yellow peppers with a Red Pepper Italian Dressing.

Afternoon Snack - Banana or greek yogurt

Supper - Fish (usually Swai) either baked or pan fried with healthy oil - a couple servings of steamed veggies (usually a steamer bag) - 2 slices of toasted whole grain bread (dry) and a miracle whip and sriracha aioli that I will put on the bread and make mini fish sliders with.

Evening Snack - 4 egg white only omelet with 2-3 slices of turkey bacon. I will also throw in a protein shake here if I am in active lifting mode 3 days a week.

This meal plan sits right around 1500 calories or less a day. It isn't a lot during one meal, but with eating every 2-3 hours helps me keep pretty full. Also I find spicy foods help the best!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think that it is really important to personalize your diet. So its important to try a bunch of things and truly reflect on what works best for you and your life.

Remember, it is very possible to eat literally anything you want and lose weight, so long as you are at a caloric deficit, but that doesn't appeal to me because one of my goals is to be healthy and fit. But it does appeal to many people who's main goal is to lose weight, and it can also remove a lot of the guilt and shame many of us have about eating foods that are "bad". Try finding out first what your actual goals are.

If you are looking to eat more healthfully I recommend the book "Foodist" by Darya Pino Rose. She does a great job of illuminating how to eat well. Which includes fruit, vegetables, intact grains, beans, lean meats, nuts etc. Nothing crazy - and its not a "diet" book. More of a guide for those feeling lost or overwhelmed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I think that it is really important to personalize your diet. So its important to try a bunch of things and truly reflect on what works best for you and your life.

Remember, it is very possible to eat literally anything you want and lose weight, so long as you are at a caloric deficit, but that doesn't appeal to me because one of my goals is to be healthy and fit. But it does appeal to many people who's main goal is to lose weight, and it can also remove a lot of the guilt and shame many of us have about eating foods that are "bad". Try finding out first what your actual goals are.

If you are looking to eat more healthfully I recommend the book "Foodist" by Darya Pino Rose. She does a great job of illuminating how to eat well. Which includes fruit, vegetables, intact grains, beans, lean meats, nuts etc. Nothing crazy - and its not a "diet" book. More of a guide for those feeling lost or overwhelmed.
    That sounds like a great book.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Bagels and cream cheese aren't bad, they just have ALOT of carbs. I read somewhere ( I think Bob Harper), that you should try and limit to 42 g of carbs in one meal.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm calculating my TDEE and stuff incorrectly. My TDEE is 2069, which means my daily caloric intake should be 1,759 calories roughly.

I glanced at the sexy pants thread from reading another post, but I'll have to read it more closesly. That book sounds pretty good too!!
  • taschi85
    taschi85 Posts: 78
    Options
    Have you heard of the starch solution? I just started this lifestyle a few days ago and so far I'm liking it! It's basically a high carb low fat plant-based diet.

I'm eating potatoes, pasta, rice, beans, veggies and fruit. And occasionally avocados, nuts, etc.

Low-fat sauces could be a tomato sauce.

From what i understand this lifestyle isn't about counting calories. Eat until you are satisfied.
    So i'm giving it a try because i have tried calorie restricting and low-carb diet and they didn't work for me, especially not long-term.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bagels and cream cheese? I see carbs, fat, and protein in that meal. Sounds like a win to me.

This...

Ultimately if you have a calorie deficit you'll lose weight, eating 'junk' or 'healthy' food doesn't matter
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the starch solution? I just started this lifestyle a few days ago and so far I'm liking it! It's basically a high carb low fat plant-based diet.

I'm eating potatoes, pasta, rice, beans, veggies and fruit. And occasionally avocados, nuts, etc.

From what i understand this lifestyle isn't about counting calories. Eat until you are satisfied.
    So i'm giving it a try because i have tried calorie restricting and low-carb diet and they didn't work for me, especially not long-term.

But if you eat over your maintenance calories you'll gain weight so be careful.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I do like cutting carbs as a way to reduce my calorie intake. The main thing I notice is that I'm not as hungry when I eat more protein and fat than carbs. Is the issue that you're still hungry shortly after breakfast or meals where most of the calories are coming from carbs? You could do half a bagel and cream cheese and eat a boiled egg for more fat and protein to keep you full longer.

I'm a little confused with what you are looking for exactly, but I guess I don't understand what is wrong with what you are already doing? Log consistently and be honest with yourself. It sucks sometimes having to log that oreo or 5, but if you aren't fooling yourself that you didn't eat it.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The biggest things that have worked for me:

Plan, plan plan - Plan your meals - plan your going out meals
    If you can't plan, watch your portion sizes.
    Move more - even if its just walking or a 30 minute DVD workout - its more than what you were doing before.
    More veggies, less carbs.
    Allow yourself to have things you want - just don't go crazy
    And even when you cheat, log it all - it makes you realize if it was worth it or not ( I realized that 600 calorie peanut butter milkshakes from Sonic are NOT worth it)
    And in all that - you'll find what works.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Bagels and cream cheese aren't bad, they just have ALOT of carbs. I read somewhere ( I think Bob Harper), that you should try and limit to 42 g of carbs in one meal.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm calculating my TDEE and stuff incorrectly. My TDEE is 2069, which means my daily caloric intake should be 1,759 calories roughly.

I glanced at the sexy pants thread from reading another post, but I'll have to read it more closesly. That book sounds pretty good too!!

There's nothing wrong with carbs. If you want your bagel and cream cheese to have less calories, ask for it "scooped" or "gutted."
  • NicoleSchimmel
    Options

I feel bloated and greasy when I eat too much starchy foods :sad: That's another story......
  • NicoleSchimmel
    Options
    I do like cutting carbs as a way to reduce my calorie intake. The main thing I notice is that I'm not as hungry when I eat more protein and fat than carbs. Is the issue that you're still hungry shortly after breakfast or meals where most of the calories are coming from carbs? You could do half a bagel and cream cheese and eat a boiled egg for more fat and protein to keep you full longer.

I'm a little confused with what you are looking for exactly, but I guess I don't understand what is wrong with what you are already doing? Log consistently and be honest with yourself. It sucks sometimes having to log that oreo or 5, but if you aren't fooling yourself that you didn't eat it.

I like the idea of a half bagel and boiled egg! I know that I need to increase protein intake. I feel full about after my meals, but I also feel I could eat more. I guess you could say comfortably full. To be honest, I don't know what I am looking for. I just know that I need a change. I haven't weighed myself in a long time, as I'm super nervous to see the number.

This thread has helped me alot, even if it wasn't sure what I wanted the outcome of the thread to be

:flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP and try and meet your macros... there's no miracle diet regimen. If you have a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, just have a meal with lower carbs later so you still stay under your carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Just use MFP and try and meet your macros... there's no miracle diet regimen. If you have a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast, just have a meal with lower carbs later so you still stay under your carbs.
    or eat something a little healthier and a little heartier so breakfast fuels you to lunch. Meh a bagel and cream cheese wouldn't do that for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The biggest things that have worked for me:

Plan, plan plan - Plan your meals - plan your going out meals
    If you can't plan, watch your portion sizes.
    Move more - even if its just walking or a 30 minute DVD workout - its more than what you were doing before.
    More veggies, less carbs.
    Allow yourself to have things you want - just don't go crazy
    And even when you cheat, log it all - it makes you realize if it was worth it or not ( I realized that 600 calorie peanut butter milkshakes from Sonic are NOT worth it)
    And in all that - you'll find what works.
    granted veggies are carbs...