Starting a Low Carb Diet! I need help :(

Options
Hello! Soo...I have decided to fully commit to a Low Carb diet plan...because I have broken my leg and won't be able to be very active for the next month, and just my luck, I was diagnosed with Poly cystic ovarian syndrome a month ago as well (I haven't had a period for 7 months), so I know it has been super easy for the weight to pile on the past few months, and the only way to keep it in check was being extremely careful with keeping an exercise routine. I have gone from 52kg in January to now 57... I am 5'3 and my ideal weight is between 53-54kg...

So I thought since I can't really move around much, I would control what I eat and monitor it more closely...but I don't know what the correct ratio is for carbs/Fat/Protein ... considering my activity level will be very low, I don't want to go over 1200 calories, and again don't know if that is a wise choice or not!

Today for example....I started with a two egg omelette with vegetables fried in a tsp of coconut oil...for snack I had a 25g of mixed nuts (Almonds, pecans, walnuts) ...then for lunch I had sliced raw carrots, celery and 50g of blueberry with a tbsp of peanut butter and a tbsp of Dijon mustard..

I then went a bit naughty and had 40g of shredded wheat (plain, no milk) with 50g raspberries...

and for dinner I had 150g turkey breast, cooked with carrots and ginger and a tsp of olive oil with 5g of cheddar grated on top...

I have had a a liter of water, a cup of green tea and a cup of coffee with skimmed milk, no sugar..

So far I've had 87g of carbs altogether...and that seems to be too high for a low carb diet on some websites!!!My total fat has been 58g, I also made the mistake of weighing myself, and it was 58.2. which is the heaviest the scales have shown me in years!!!!

My total fat intake has been 58g and my protein 71g !

Am I doing this right? I'm nearly reaching my 1200 calorie limit also! What is the correct ratio and how can I lower my carbs more? I think maybe less nuts and more berries? I am so confused with the whole thing but I do want to commit to it, and I know it's the first day...but I don't want to be doing it wrong and getting fatter instead, by introducing all this extra fat to my diet, and not being low enough on carbs!

Thank you so much!

Replies

• lilika_49
    lilika_49 Posts: 53
    Options
    P.s. I know people on these forums usually ask someone like me to refer to past forums, but I wanted to be exact with my weight and intake etc! So please don't be mean!
  • leefashcroft
    leefashcroft Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Unfortunately you are going about it all wrong!

Shredded wheat!!!!!!! Not a good choice lol. Also, nuts, blueberries and milk are all bad choices for your induction period.

The best thing anyone can do before embarking on a low-carb lifestyle is to read the Atkins Diet Revolution book

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Atkins-Revised-Diet-Package/dp/0871319918/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1405527348&sr=8-7&keywords=atkins+diet+revolution

Copy and paste this link and buy this exact copy. Do not buy any updated copies and do not sign up to the Atkins website and indulge in the ****TY Atkins bars etc.

Since Dr. Atkins has died, the 'Brand' has been totally destroyed and turned into a corporate monster with all sorts of disgusting unhealthy advice. Read this book and follow the diet to the letter. That is by far your best bet.

The first two weeks absolutely has to be 20g of carbs per day. ALL carbs must come from veggies. The book has a carb counter that will tell you everything you can eat in phase one. Fruits, nuts and starchy veggies are out for the first two weeks.

DO NOT COUNT CALORIES. Just count the carbs.

Message me if you need any advice. And good luck! Low-carb is a great choice!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So far I've had 87g of carbs altogether...and that seems to be too high for a low carb diet on some websites!!!My total fat has been 58g, I also made the mistake of weighing myself, and it was 58.2. which is the heaviest the scales have shown me in years!!!!

There is no strict definition of what constitutes low carb. To some people that's 20g of net carbs; to others that's 100-150g of carbs in a day. And realize that there is no right answer. It's probably a good idea to keep a lower carb macro with PCOS but you don't necessarily have to go ketogenic. 87g of carbs is low carb by pretty much any definition, but it's not low enough to be ketogenic (and that's okay). Either way, I'd say you're doing fine and just give it time. Don't overthink this and don't worry about messing up - you can always make changes later if you want a higher or lower carb macro and don't be afraid to self-experiment a bit. Last thing I'll add is you can very likely go a bit higher than 1200 calories, even if you aren't very active at the moment. Maybe shoot for at least 1300-1350 calories?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This is the wrong time to go for a low-calorie diet. It's a fine time to go low-carb, mainly because you should increase your protein when you are healing a broken bone. Up it by at least 10-20g. Healing a broken bone also takes a lot of energy. Eat more than usual, not less. Now is not the time to stress about the scale. Also, increase the amount of minerals you consume, your body will be using them for rebuilding the bone.

Honestly... 1200 calories when your body is rebuilding? That's just not wise.

Edit: I have seen references to people who are bed-ridden, but with multiple fractures, needing as much as 4,000 calories beyond their normal maintenance number to maintain their weight, So, even with no exercise at all, caloric needs sky-rocket when rebuilding bones.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I would really not do keto low carb maybe unless you want to lose alot of LBM I would go for a balanced calorie defecit and adjust slowly
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would really not do keto low carb maybe unless you want to lose alot of LBM I would go for a balanced calorie defecit and adjust slowly

Keto doesn't cause you to lose LBM; that's an old myth. A lack of sufficient protein and resistance training (and potentially not eating enough calories) leads to loss of LBM.
    This is the wrong time to go for a low-calorie diet. It's a fine time to go low-carb, mainly because you should increase your protein when you are healing a broken bone. Up it by at least 10-20g. Healing a broken bone also takes a lot of energy. Eat more than usual, not less. Now is not the time to stress about the scale. Also, increase the amount of minerals you consume, your body will be using them for rebuilding the bone.

Honestly... 1200 calories when your body is rebuilding? That's just not wise.

Edit: I have seen references to people who are bed-ridden, but with multiple fractures, needing as much as 4,000 calories beyond their normal maintenance number to maintain their weight, So, even with no exercise at all, caloric needs sky-rocket when rebuilding bones.

All good points.
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would increase fat intake with avocado, olive oil, butter etc. and limit the fruit, although at least you are having berries which is the best option. Also carrots are high in sugar. Eat lots of leafy greens, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower for your carbs and nix the grains altogether. Drink lots of water. Wishing you a speedy recovery
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Also carrots are high in sugar.
    What a strange idea per 100g they have around 5 g of sugar, Red peppers which you suggest have around 6g cauliflower around 4g so no higher than any other vegetable
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Carrots ? Carbohydrate 7.9g of which Sugars 7.4g per 100g.