Self Hate Talk

Options
Does anyone else struggle with this? I am so disgusted with almost everything about the way I look. Even my wedding rings are tight! I am not motivated for more than a day or 2 and if I don't see success immediately I just give in! The worst part is that I lost 38 pounds 2 years ago and have now gained almost all of it back. I feel like such failure. Ugh...I don't want to do this again!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I had about the same amount of weight to lose and MFP helped a lot.
    Stick with a 1 lb/week goal and you will be able to do this. Not "easily", as you'll have to watch portions but you'll be able to eat well and enough, with a few treats now and again.
    Hang in there. You won't see any results on your body for about 10 weeks BUT you'll see the scale go down and this is very motivating.

Weight and measure all your foods and learn the portions by eye (this helps later with maintenance).

Don't give up.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    STOP HATING! It is self destructive and can lead to a really low dark place. I know from experience. I could not lose and keep it off until I started liking me. Try not to rely solely on motivation. Create habits that you just do without too much thinking. Start small like starting your day with a glass of water and build up the habits. You can do this! You are worth the effort.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I did not lose weight permanantly until I stopped dieting.
    You don't need motivation to just get out of bed and live your life (unless you're severely depressed),
    So all you have to do is figure out how many calories you're eating and reduce them.
    Add some walking, swimming or anything else you enjoy doing.
    That's it! Just do that.
  • skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean and you are not alone. Don't think of yourself as a failure, we can't afford to look at ourselves that way. You are only a failure when you completely give up and no longer fight to be the person that you want to be. As long as you are trying you are still a success in progress. My wedding rings are snug too, I've even thought about going to have them sized bigger. I've consistantly lost and gained for most of my life. It finally clicked about a month ago that I needed to stop focusing on losing weight and start focusing on gaining (goals, experiences, knowledge, strength). I've only lost a couple of pounds so far, but I'm happier with the way I'm approaching things this time - 1lb at a time. rather than setting a goal to lose 50lbs in the next 6 months, I'm changing my long term habits and letting the weight works itself out. I've improved my mile by 4 minutes in 3 weeks and began lifting weights last week. Already feeling stronger and more confident :-). You'll get there, just don't ever allow the feeling of failure to win...keep fighting!
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    you are not alone

what I do is I keep a journal of how I feel (mentally and physically) in relation to what I eat and how active I am that day.

I've noticed when I am happy I make better choices in food and the scale drops
    I also noticed my weight spikes around TOM and my mood drops
    I noticed when I am grumpy or stressed I tend to overeat and thus the scale spikes and mood drops

Food is powerful, use it to your advantage and you will feel fantastic inside and out
  • ccincrco
    ccincrco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Mel!

First, let me just say that I'm right there with you! From the time my wife and I were married almost 19 years ago, I put on about 100lbs and since have lost 30, but I've been stuck here for the last 8 years or so. I struggle with the same thing in terms of thinking of it as doing it all over again. I've gotten really good at starting but I'm terrible at finishing. I'll go full guns for a couple weeks or months, lose a few pounds and then allow myself to get railroaded by whatever excuse is convenient. Usually it's because I feel like things should be happening more quickly. It's depressing and it becomes easy to throw in the towel and to come down on yourself. I'm an expert at it, so just know you're not alone in the struggle!

First off, get rid of the negative self talk! Easier said than done, I know. I tend toward self doubt, depression etc., because of the way I view myself and because of how I think others perceive me based on my appearance. My dad was a pastor of a large church growing up so I lived my life thinking all eyes were on me at all times, feeling I had to act/look a certain way - and I still feel that way to this day. It's easy to want to isolate or think negatively about myself because I'm constantly measuring against what I perceive to be others' expectations for me. It's a prison of my own design and one I have to consciously try to free myself from daily. Perhaps you have expectations of yourself or think others do that cause you to be so hard on yourself? I don't know but that's what it is for me. I've heard it said that expectations are premeditated resentments and I absolutely agree! Whether you have expectations of others or yourself, the idea is that your belief in what SHOULD be has largely taken over what IS and it's like pouring water in a cup full of holes. So #1: Don't be so hard on yourself! You are most definitely NOT a failure! Not sure if you're familiar with Zig Ziglar (motivational guru), but one of my favorite quotes of his is "Failure is an event, not a person". Write it down somewhere. Read it. Believe it!

If you think anything like me, I tend to look at a task or goal from a high level, 'big-picture' view. It's incredibly daunting and most of the time it's easier to just say 'forget it' than it is to start and continue. I have 65lbs I want to lose and it's really hard to not be thinking about that number constantly. The best bet for people like us is to not look at the scale but maybe once a week (if that - this one's SUPER tough for me!) The results will come, but maybe not as fast as we want. It's easy to get off track because you're EXPECTING (there's that word!) something to happen faster than it's supposed to. For me, I'm most successful when I take things in smaller bites (literally and figuratively - ha!). There's that saying..."Rome wasn't built in a day". Same goes with our weight loss efforts. Consistent effort is the key. If I can get through one workout, one day, one week etc., it helps me to want to keep going. So #2: Take small, consistent steps. Think of your goal in terms of a lifestyle/journey more than a number/destination and don't get thrown off by unmet expectations. Allow yourself to screw up but get right back into it.

This is the first time I've ever responded on one of these things so I hope it helps you some. If nothing else, your question allowed me to examine why I think the same way, so thanks! It was helpful for me to write it out - now I just have to follow it myself!

Best of luck in your efforts!
  • arose928
    arose928 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Same boat as you. Lost 26 pounds 2 years ago, and keep starting and stopping... Do great get a couple compliments, and then I'm like bang celebrate. I cant stand the daily thinking about it.
    Maybe we can friend up and motivate. I started at 176 after baby 3 years ago, ( I have 4 kids), and will be 41 in Sept. I'm down to a floating 145, but on a 5' frame I look like a blister..
    Oh and the summer is great too I just look at my old shorts and cry.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound over the top but have you considered counseling? Dead serious here. It sounds like you may have some self-sabotaging and/or defeating thought patterns and maybe counseling could help.
  • kellielafrance
    kellielafrance Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I ate an average of 2700 calories a day. I started my fitness pal by just cutting calories back to 2200 for a couple of weeks, then dropped again 200 calories. I am at 1600 calories a day right now, but I am comfortable with that cause there are a few things I refuse to give up in my diet, and that is my coffeewith I'd creamer and my 5 pieces of dark chocolate I have at night. in 73 days, I have lost 13 pounds. That doesn't seem like much, but I am concentrating on a healthier lifestyle and more active life. I walk everyday. I will drop my calories again to 1400 and stay there. Keep at it. This will be the hardest journey to take, but it will be worth it! You are worth it and you are not your size! One thing I can tell you that helps me is to eat exact serving sizes and drink that water!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can only fail if you QUIT
  • ejohnson_ar
    ejohnson_ar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can't if you don't want to. Let's be honest here. I have a self hate voice, I'm pretty sure we all do. I wasn't ready for this until I was ready to do this for myself.

Maybe if you find a calorie burning activity you actually enjoy? Like swimming? or walking? Start yourself with something you *like* to do. Then you won't think of it as a workout and it might help you want to get on it.

You're not going to see instant results, no matter what you do. Unless you know some magic, and in that case SHARE! ;)
  • melbrown22
    melbrown22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement!

The frustrating part, is that I truly know all of the things that were suggested. I have an idea of why my expectations are so high (related to my childhood) for myself. I have been in counseling due to losing my younger brother to suicide (20 years ago...counselling for 10 years!), found that I enjoy running and ran my first half marathon last October.

I know some of you mentioned "one day at a time" and that is what I will have to force myself to focus on. Just one day. I remember that I hit a wall at mile 10 of the half marathon. I wanted to quit, I was hurting so badly...but my mind was stronger (and I had an awesome friend with me!). I just kept telling myself , "One foot in front of the other". It was a SLOW SLOW pace for me (3 hrs, 14 min), but I ran the whole thing and raised $1200 for the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention. Sometimes I still can't believe that I did it. I am about to sign up for another half marathon to run this November. Maybe I will try a Zumba class at the gym I just joined.

I'm glad I'm not alone. Thanks again! <3
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump