help: 105 lbs and I still have fat ?!

Options
I don't own a scale and weighed myself at Walmart today (haha..). At 25 years old and 5'2 I weighed in at 105 lbs wearing only leggings and a tank top. This is the "goal weight" I had set for myself but I still have quite a bit of stomach and lower back fat! My front fat looks like a weird rounded W above my hips if you know what I mean...?

When I feel the fat on my stomach, it feels like marbles but the fat on my lower back is still hard. I don't know if this is TMI but I can grab these places and have handfulls of body fat lol. So its not like it doesn't exist.

I am eating 1450 calories a day and my workouts vary but for the past 3 weeks I've started doing p90X classic version. My BMR is around 1180 and other than this exercise, I'm sitting I don't have a physically demanding job.

I haven't seen much of a change in measurements in about a month and I have been working out since April. I started at 115/120lbs, 28 inch waist, 34/35 inch stomach(!). Now my waist is 25 inches and the 'largest' part of my middle is 29 inches.

What I want to know if should I start eating fewer calories like 1200/1300 to keep on losing fat,
or should I start eating more to build more muscle, like 1500-1600 even though i'm not very active? but if I do this will I get fat back?
or should I keep on doing what I'm doing and the fat will come off eventually and I'll just weigh even less?

I don't want to gain fat back because I am a major apple shape and it all goes all on my stomach and I look pregnant haha

When I flex my arms, they are pretty defined, and my quads are beginning to show. I lift heavy in p90x so its not like I don't have any muscle.
I am small framed but 105lbs seems like the low end for a 5'2 woman maybe I am wrong but can someone tell me if I should be eating more or less? It is so frustrating to finally be at your goal weight and not look like you thought you would!

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    P90x does not count as heavy lifting. Get thee to a weight room and start lifting some serious weights.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Picture could explain better. Meanwhile- go to weightlifting
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    P90x does not count as heavy lifting. Get thee to a weight room and start lifting some serious weights.

Yup, this. Your problem is not an abundance of fat, it's a lack of lean mass. You need to date a bar-bell.

Rigger
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    One more vote for heavy lifting.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Pick up the barbell and rejoice!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with weight lifting. I'm also 5'2", small framed, but definitely not apple shaped. My weight has gone down lower. But, I lift heavy weights and weigh around 105 (it fluctuates). But I don't have fat on my belly or back. I have visible abs. But, sometimes people think they have more fat than they do. Hard for us to know. Lift weights! It will do wonders for you.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    P90X is not strength training! Pick up some weights!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yep. Weights. Don't lose any more weight.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    why do people say that P90x is not weight training? You do have options to use heavier weights with lower reps for each session...at least that's what I see...
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'll show you a fat back... Lol. Naw but dnt mind me listen to them^
  • kaylam0
    kaylam0 Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok so I should ditch P90X for weights at a gym?

This is an honest question (cause I thought p90x was heavy lifting haha frig): Is it better to use the machines at the gym for weights then and go as heavy as possible?
    I thought it was better to use free weights? I have 10lbs at home and for biceps and triceps, 3 sets of 8-10 reps has me struggling to finish. Same with normal push ups.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Get like strong lifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women, or All Pro (that one you can get online for free on bodybuilding.com.
    Just take the time to learn good form with free weights. YouTube and do videos of yourself doing them to check before you start slapping too many plates on.

ETA: Eat at maintenance at least. Though once you've got your form good to start progressively increasing a small surplus would be beneficial. You definitely don't need to lose any more weight.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

This is an honest question (cause I thought p90x was heavy lifting haha frig): Is it better to use the machines at the gym for weights then and go as heavy as possible?
    I thought it was better to use free weights? I have 10lbs at home and for biceps and triceps, 3 sets of 8-10 reps has me struggling to finish. Same with normal push ups.

I personally think you would benefit from doing p90x since you are kinda new to weight lifting...
  • azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights…not machines. Try strong lifts 5x5 or get the book Thinner, leaner, stronger by Mike Matthews…its filled with a wealth of info with a nutrition and workout plan for lifting heavy…i.e. deadlifts, squats, bench press, barbell rows…etc.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Look into stronglifts 5×5. In the last 6 weeks I've lost under 10 pounds, but I've gone down 3 pants sizes.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I personally think you would benefit from doing p90x since you are kinda new to weight lifting...

How do you become un-new to weight lifting? Gotta start somewhere.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

10# is not heavy. Tons of more experienced lifters, including many women, in here who can set you on right path. Listen to them.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    Like what others have said, lifting and strength training. Also, have you lost a lot of weight? Because I'm guessing your skin might've stretched a bit and that's why it doesn't look as tight as you want it to be
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Since you're new to weights, let me define heavy for you:

As heavy as you can manage with good form for sets of 1-5 reps. Usually it's 3 or 5 sets of 5 reps. Pick a beginner's program like those already mentioned and stick to it.

As a beginner, you need to be doing compound lifts for best and quickest results and to build a strength base. Forget bicep curls and similar isolation moves for now. Revisit those after you've gotten to the intermediate level at least.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. I havent done any of the others though.