Need a small strong support group

Options
Hi, I am a 30 year old engineer, trying to get in better shape for the better part of the last 4 years. I have never been very overweight but have generally lead a sedentary lifestyle since coming out of college. For the last few years I have gotten more active and concerned about my well being. I am an avid biker and try to bike 3 times a week, about 20 to 30 miles each ride. I started biking as a rehab from an ACL reconstructive surgery 6 months ago and have loved it. I have also started visiting the gym purely for upper body strength workouts with a trainer, 2 times a week.

I have been very sincere in at least recording all my food intake and my workouts in MFP for the last 3 weeks. I weigh around 170 Lbs with 23% BF. My goal is to get down to around 155 Lbs with 15% BF. I need some expert advice on what changes I can make to my diet to achieve my goals. I find that I eat a lot of outside food, but that seems to stem from a rather busy schedule. I am not in a great hurry to reach my goal, but that means I have more time to fall back to my old ways.

I am looking for a small group of people who are in or have been a similar situation as me, just to help me during my weak times.

Thanks to the folks at MFP.

Replies

• hariharannarayanan
    hariharannarayanan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    the cut in the body fat will take sometime. That is pretty lean. So it really will take a lot of work. I hope you are ready for it.

If I am not mistaken the 15% is an athletic body fat percentage or maybe that is for a girl? So hard to keep sex ratios right in my head. Lol. Any way.
    Here is a site that might help. I like to use it for there work out plans and ideas on what is the latest in working out and why. Of course the greatest tool for this is the Internet but first source journals are so dry.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/
    I hope that helps give you some ideas on how to break plateaus before they start with some heavy duty muscle confusion.
  • hariharannarayanan
    hariharannarayanan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do use bodybuilding.com for motivation. Its nice to read transformation stories there. I do not however like how they try so hard to sell supplements. I would recommend scoobysworkshop for folks who want to learn more about nutrition and fitness in general. My main concern now is to balance my nutrition and my strength workouts. MFP recommends 1660 Cal as a daily intake to reach my goals. But I doubt if that will keep me sufficiently energized for my strength workouts.