27y/o with Type 2 Diabetes in MN

Options
Hello All.

I have been using the Myfitnesspal app for a little over four months now. It has literally been a life saver. Figured I might introduce myself and find others working to achieve their weight loss goals.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes on my 27th Birthday this past March. I went in with a blood sugar level of 325. Over the past four months i've changed my eating habits, added 30 minutes of exercise to my day, and taken MetFformin twice daily.

So far, i've dropped 30lbs and brought my blood sugar levels down to under 120. I'm proud of the progress i've made so far, but I still have another 30lbs to go to reach my weight loss goal. I'm finding that losing weight is getting increasingly more difficult, and the temptation of the high carb, low nutrient food I have been accustomed to is tough to resist. I'm hoping that I can find strength in talking with others struggling with the same difficulties.

That's me!

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Welcome to the group and congratulations on the progress you've made so far in managing diabetes. When figuring out what motivates people, I like to think about two questions. First, what do you like the most about the changes you've made and your life right now? Second, what do you dislike the most about your life before you made these changes? Often looking at your situation this way will help strengthen your motivation. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing progress so far and having the courage to take control of your life back. We all know losing weight is really hard sometimes. My motivation is also concerned with type 2 diabetes and trying to avoid getting it! I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my daughter. It resolved itself after the birth and I am not diabetic now but I know that I am at a much increased risk of getting type 2 if I don't shift this weight. I need to lose another 35lbs or so to be within the healthy weight range. Exercise plays a much more important role in my life now but I still struggle with my eating and recently have put some of the weight back on that I lost. It's a constant battle but one I will not give up. Good luck to you. I am sure you will succeed as you seem very motivated
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 in November 2012 and have managed to reverse it by losing enough visceral fat. The Newcastle study below helped me enormously.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

The study contends that type 2 is caused by excess fat in the liver and pancreas, so all symptoms can be reversed. I was advised to stop medication November 2013, and my last hba1c's in February and June 2014 were 5.0.

My evidence is anecdotal of course, but I believe a type 2 diagnosis can be beat by weight loss.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on weight loss and blood sugar drop!
    I was diagnosed April of this year. I've also lost 30 lbs and dropped my blood sugar below 120. Mine was 410 when I was diagnosed. The high carb food is a struggle!!
    I'm sending a friend request!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've been type one diabetic since I was 2 years old. I know it's not the same, but feel free to add me as a friend :). It's a lifelong battle, but it gets easy. Now everything is second nature to me. Congrats on the weight loss and management!
  • talesofinterest
    talesofinterest Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words of support and sharing your own stories! I look forward to interacting more as I continue my weight loss journey!
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi talesofintere!

I was in the same boat, diagnosed last year in January during a yearly physical. Since I get a physical every year and I was fine the year before it was caught very early so I was lucky that way. I was always in pretty good shape growing up but the last 10 years or so before my diagnosis I had turned into a complete slob and eating nothing but high carb, and I mean HIGH carb (lots of white pasta, potatoes, etc...) junk!!!

After my doctor told me I had developed type 2 it woke me up. I hit the gym and went back to my old college workout and started doing a lot of cardio. Lost 65 lbs in three months and went for my three month follow up with my doctor... he did a double take when I walked in the door. When he looked at my lab results he couldn't believe it, I was down to a 5.1 A1c and it's been at that level since then, in fact my last one was 4.9. My doc says their is no evidence that I was ever diabetic now, although you can never get rid of it, I have no doubt mine was because I had let myself turn into a tub of ****! NEVER AGAIN is my motto now.

Helps to have a goal, I always set small ones that are fairly easy to achieve and go to the next one. I've cut back on cardio now, since my goal is to build muscle mass, but I can't cut it out completely since it's so important to glucose control, but I think I've found a good balance. Just find what works for you and keep at it, one day at a time and you will do well. :D
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I had to lose 50 pounds to get to regular sugar levels. I got down to 189 but I'm back up to 214...I know how hard it is.
  • Taiser
    Taiser Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is hard! LOL... When I lost the 65 lbs I was down to 185.... I'm at about 200 (weight gain is from muscle gain :) ) now my goal is to get to 210 but with a 34" waist. My waist now is 36"... I've given myself a year to do this but I think I will hit that goal before then, depends. I'm not in my 20's anymore so building the muscle I want is not as easy as it was back then! :D