Is it better to eat most of my calories earlier in the day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i like a standard 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, 500cal/300cal/500cal/300cal/500cal.... 40%p30%c30%f I am up at 530am, and dinner is at 6-7pm

if i eat late at night and go to bed full i sleep like garbage. it all depends on what works for you.

i have read alot about the whole myth of eating a majority of your calories afternoon/evening being bad. i know its not bad in the grand scheme of things.

I just cannot wrap my mind around eating a huge dinner (800+cals) , and going to bed just laying there. I would think having your larger meals during a persons more active hours would be more productive and help in digestion. NOT here to argue it, i dont care either way, just works for me, since it ruins my sleep. I work early, work at a utility, need my energy during the day and i love breakfast!!!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I have no breakfast usually. just a xyience energy drink. 600 or so at lunch and the remainder about 1200+ an hour or two before bed. It works fine for me as I like the full feeling.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I find the timing of calories/nutrients is mostly about how it makes you feel. For me for example after I eat a meal high in simple carbs i get a rush of energy. If I sit down my legs will bounce up and down for an hour or two so I tend to eat these meals in the morning before I workout as I get the biggest pumps when doing so. Protein seems to calm me down and make me feel satiated longer. I eat these for lunch and dinner with a protein shake an hour before sleep to put me to bed.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Some sensible stuff on here.

For me I gave up breakfast months ago and never looked back.
    I've thought about giving up breakfast too. Might have to give it a try.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I personally would never give up breakfast- I would be craving carbs and snacks all day long. I spread my cals evenly through the day, leaving enough for a small snack after dinner if I feel very hungry in the evening.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    eat your food when you like, for how it satiates you best.

if having a big meal before bed time works for you, then do that.

Overall calories is what you must watch
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    eat your food when you like, for how it satiates you best.

if having a big meal before bed time works for you, then do that.

Overall calories is what you must watch

"And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold Mity Max said so!" Mindless WWE reference, but that is what it boils down to!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    FYI - This is great:

Nutrition-Pyramid.png
  • CamilleJackie350
    Options
    If you eat any carbs after 4pm you'll soon be on the path to developing type 2 diabetes and youll gain weight overnight
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you eat any carbs after 4pm you'll soon be on the path to developing type 2 diabetes and youll gain weight overnight

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat when I want and works into my schedule! Some days it is first thing, other days I am consuming all my calories sitting on the sofa watching TV as I wind down for bed! All I worry about is my calories and hitting my WEEKLY (not daily) average!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Whaaa??? :noway:

Edit: Sorry. Initital post knee-jerk reaction to ^^^^^. Agree with other posters. Eat your cals when it suits you best.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Completely makes sense. Play with it and find out what works for you. It's generally accepted that the timing of your calories on an individual day doesn't matter as much as consistency.

That being said, are you hungry because you haven't eaten enough, or hungry because you aren't eating enough? If you haven't already, check into finding out what your daily caloric requirements are in you preferred method. I'm not saying you took MFP's word for it and ran, but definitely do some independent research. This app is a good one, but there are better ways out there that allow you more flexibility.

Good luck, OP.

And I'll just leave these here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Insulin, here I come!