I never know what to buy at the grocery store

Options
Any one have a general shopping list they follow to help them keep up with their diet plan and would like to share? I get frustrated because I never know what to buy.

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The best stuff in the supermarket is on the outside perimeter, that's where I mostly frequent - The meats, veg and fruits, eggs, almond milk and cheeses. I have a lot of staple foods that I pretty much eat daily so shopping is pretty instinctive for me now, almost like reflex.
  • MyHealthiestYears23
    Options
    I know where to shop within the store and what would be healthy... i just feel like there is sooooo much to choose from which is overwhelming. So that is why I am asking what other usually buy at the store to get an idea of specific items I can focus on.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Meal plan for the week. That way you know exactly what you're going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Yes, it takes maybe 30 minutes once a week, but then you go into the store knowing exactly what you should buy and what you're going to do with it. As an added plus, people who meal plan before they shop usually save money!

Edited to add: We could all give you suggestions about what to buy, but it would still be overwhelming. That's why I advocate knowing what you want to buy before you go in. Knowing exactly what you want to eat will help you from being overwhelmed.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Stuff I buy regularly -

Lean meats (chicken, pork tenderloin, fish, lean beef)
    Fresh veggies and fruits
    Garlic, onions, fresh herbs
    Avocados!
    Yogurt
    Cheese
    Canned beans (black, pinto, or other legumes)
    Salsa
    Oatmeal
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Dark chocolate
  • mommy2maddox
    mommy2maddox Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is my standard list. I add/delete as needed but this works great for me. This is a word document that I can pull up once a week and modify as needed.

• Salmon
    • Chicken Breasts
    • Tilapia
    Tuna
    • Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
    • Asparagus
    • Zucchini/Yellow Squash
    • Green onion
    • Garlic x 1
    • Cilantro
    • Mushrooms
    • Romaine Lettuce
    • Butter Lettuce
    • Blueberries
    • Bananas
    • No Nitrate Chicken breast
    • Turkey
    • Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
    • Cucumber x2
    • Red Bell Pepper x 2
    • Carrots
    • Mushrooms
    • Baby Spinach
    • Sweet Potato
    • Avocado x3
    • Brown Rice
    • Apples x2
    • Pears
    • Almond Milk (unsweetened original)
    • Corn tortillas
    • Whole wheat tortillas
    • Jalapeno x 2
    • Red onion
    • Cilantro
    • Limes x2 or3/lemon
    • Vidalia onion
    • Poblano pepper
    • Strawberries
    Eggs
    Egg Whites
    Whole Wheat Bread
    Ezekial Bread
    Oatmeal
    Black Beans
  • thegreatestthing
    thegreatestthing Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Meal plan for the week. That way you know exactly what you're going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Yes, it takes maybe 30 minutes once a week, but then you go into the store knowing exactly what you should buy and what you're going to do with it. As an added plus, people who meal plan before they shop usually save money!

Edited to add: We could all give you suggestions about what to buy, but it would still be overwhelming. That's why I advocate knowing what you want to buy before you go in. Knowing exactly what you want to eat will help you from being overwhelmed.

This! It sucks to start but if you get a few recipes together it's much simpler. When I have the time/funds to plan it out, I try to copy some of my meals as well. It might be kind of boring but most weeks i'd rather be lazy and not give myself options. When I have too many choices I get overwhelmed and just go for the easiest choice!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a ton of veggies, and keep them in a basket on my table.

Then my focus becomes how to use the veggies.

I also buy tons of meat and leave it stocked in the freezer.

You'll definitely need a ton of onions and garlic, and squash and peppers are in season so load up on those, too.

Yumm...

I'm hungry. :-)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    1. Find recipes/things you'd like to cook and eat from online sources.
    2. Look at ingredients list and jot down main items (assuming you already have the staples--spices, etc).
    3. Go shop for those items.

This is how I do it. Meal plan and then have I have a list I can focus on. If I don't make a list, I randomly wonder and buy a bunch of stuff I might not eat. Do this regularly and you start to develop a food staple list where you'll know you will eat it weekly because it works for you.

Mine is:
    Bananas or mangoes plus one to two other types of fruit
    Almond milk or soy milk
    Cherry tomatoes
    Bag of spinach or mixed greens
    2 other types of green vegetables
    1-2 type of root vegetable
    Bread, tortilla, or pita pocket
    1-2 protein source for the week: Tofu, salmon, beans, eggs, or chicken
    1-2 "treats" (ie. nutrition bar, muffin/bakery items, etc. Yes, I consider nutrition bars as treats/dessert!)
    Seasonings/sauces and rice as needed.

I limit my grocery budget to 30-40 dollars, which forces me to look for the cheapest food; where I live, vegetables are plentiful and protein sources are a bit more expensive so I get a lot more vegetables! Most processed foods will not make my list.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Vegetables for salad and snacking, what ever you'll eat raw. SWEET and white potatoes, fruit, low calorie bread and low sodium low fat lunch meat and cheese. Low fat milk lean meats, frozen or canned veggies.. popcorn, granola bars, fat free greek yogurt, and pudding cups. lemon for water. Low cal low carb low sodium lean cuisines or healthy choice deals. Hot pepper, cinnamon, Just to start.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with those who suggest meal planning. I make a flexible plan at the beginning of the week and then buy what I need for those meals.

For meal planning. Spend a couple of hours on pintrest and pin a bunch of healthy recipes that contain food you like. Don't buy a bunch of stuff you don't know or don't like just because its good for you. Start with the things you know you like. Then try adding a new fruit or vegetable every week to mix it up.

My lunches and snacks are always similar. Lunch is always a salad.....but I buy a tons of different fruits, veggies, nuts & seeds so I can mix up what goes in it. Snacks are always almonds, dates and apples. Makes getting out the door a little easier in the morning when I don't have to think too hard.

Usually includes the following...
    ~ lettuce
    ~ tomatoes
    ~ carrots
    ~ cucumber
    ~ onions
    ~ okra or eggplant
    ~ avocado
    ~ fresh herbs - cilantro & mint especially
    ~ bananas
    ~ apples
    ~ mango
    ~ strawberries or blueberries
    ~ canned tuna
    ~ fresh salmon
    ~ lean ground beef or chicken
    ~ almonds
    ~ pistachios
    ~ dates
    ~ quinoa
    ~ chick peas or black beans or lentils
    ~ almond milk
    ~ cereal
    ~ eggs
    ~ 85% dark chocolate in small bars so I can enjoy the whole thing without too much stress
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I make a meal plan for the week, make a list of ingredients for the meals, and buy those. That way I don't buy too much, and I get everything I need. This also allows me to plan my meals and calories with my workouts
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Once you meal plan a few times it gets easier. I use a certain spiral notebook. Open, one side is meals the other side is shopping list. As I plan Meals I add what I need to the list to buy. This also allows the use of leftovers. Yes I plan those also. It saves money!
    I shop, then prep for the week.
    Plan...shop...meal prep
    The up side is during the week I simply have to look at my menus to know what's for dinner. I tend to eat the same stuff for breakfast and lunch.

I have been doing this for years. It is a working Moms survival tool.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i buy lean cuisines when they go on sale
    sorry i dont like kale
  • WhatAlexDidNext
    Options
    Chicken, tuna, fish fillets and veg. That pretty much what I eat daily along with a few carbs such as bread or a jacket potato. Chicken sandwich with Nandos dry rub is awesome.