was my doctor serious?

Replies

• Thank you for the replies everyone! I'll call him up and ask him to explain further. I've been going to this doctor for awhile now since he is the family doctor. My family has been pushing me to follow his advice and that's why I had to confirm things and get opinions.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Best Wishes to you.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    I'd be looking for another doctor. That is ridiculous.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    ....and reporting him/her too :-/
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    of course he's not serious...he meant "half apple BEFORE breakfast, a salad WITH lunch and half apple AFTER dinner".
    :bigsmile:

If your doc doesn't mean this, I have to echo everyone else and say get a new doc. A BMI of 26 does not justify this kind of extreme diet, medically supervised or not, unless there is something medically major you're not telling us (I can't even think of what that would be.)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hi guys basically my last doctor visit the doctor told me to go on a diet and eat half an apple for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and half an apple for dinner plus walk 6 miles a day. My BMI is a 26 so I am a little bit overweight but my question is this diet does not look very healthy to me. I want to know if I should follow his advice because I do not want to put my body into starvation mode at all. I have lurked on the forum for quite awhile and what the doctor said doesn't really add up to a healthy weight loss so I am very confused. Please help me.
    Your doctor really said that? That's horrible advice. I'd say to get a new doctor.

People of normal weight and overweight do not go into starvation mode. In fact, you must lose a certain percentage of fat and muscle and be pretty emaciated to be considered in starvation mode.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    of course he's not serious...he meant "half apple BEFORE breakfast, a salad WITH lunch and half apple AFTER dinner".
    You think so?

Actually, I would HOPE so. :smile:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    You think so?

Actually, I would HOPE so. :smile:

I dunno....i was hoping he was joking, too.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    ...this wasnt Dr. Oz by any chance?
  • MarkWigg
    MarkWigg Posts: 2 Member
    Eat the apple a day and keep away from that doctor.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    What kind of Dr was this? Most GP's will weigh you, measure your height, & consult the BMI chart then offer some general standard blurb around healthy eating. Most surgeries I know of tend to refer patients to their designated nutritionist or nurse who heads up a weight management clinic.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Are you sure you didn't misinterpret? General family doctors usually will not offer specific dietary plans, whether sound or not.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    What kind of Dr was this? Most GP's will weigh you, measure your height, & consult the BMI chart then offer some general standard blurb around healthy eating. Most surgeries I know of tend to refer patients to their designated nutritionist or nurse who heads up a weight management clinic.

WHAT? In planet moo moo maybe.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Are you 18 inches tall or something??
  • I hope he wasn't serious. That's messed up.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    You need a different Doctor. I lost 107 lbs in two years by calorie tracking (1900 per day) and exercising 30-45 minutes a day. Add me and we can encourage each other!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Sounds fishy to me.

My thoughts exactly.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Are you sure they meant that is ALL you should eat or were they just suggesting you fill up a bit with some fruit and veg in addition to your other foods.

Adding more veggies n fruit wouldn't be bad advice. I would hope that ^^ is what he meant... : /
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    ....and reporting him/her too :-/

yes!
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Eat the apple a day and keep away from that doctor.
    Exactly what I thought of when I read this.

Get a new doctor, ASAP.