Overweight Beginning Runner, Help!

Options
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on this site in a while, but would like to start using it more regularly as I am becoming more serious about reaching my weight loss/fitness goals. I'm currently 6'2" 310 lbs busy full time college student. I really want to start running, but haven't had much success so far. I know that I can't expect to run a marathon the week after I start training, but I'm finding I cannot do very much at all because of shin splints. I was wearing Asics gel-blur 33, but they just were not doing the trick. Therefore, I visited the local specialty running shoe store and purchased the Brooks Beast shoes after having my gait and feet analyzed by the professional. I usually try to do my workouts at the local track as I just don't feel comfortable using a treadmill at my weight - also, I want to eventually be able to run road races so why not get accustomed to the pavement now? I am finding that I cannot even walk a full mile without shin splints. They usually come on about halfway in. I've talked to so many people about the best things to/not to do and it seems everyone has a different answer. I'm aware that the shin splints could be because of my weight, etc., but I just want to know some ways to work through these ASAP. I can go for a full hour on the elliptical / Precor AMT open stride machine at my gym with no problem, and could likely run at least a mile without stopping if not for my shin splints, so this is very frustrating. I'm a former athlete so I believe this is where I get the endurance from. I have been trying to jog hills with a moderate incline as someone at my doctors office told me this would help build up the shins. Please, if you can, give me any advice on where to go from here. I am very eager to get started and know that I will see results very quickly once I'm able to get past these annoying shin splints! I'll check back often, so if you have any questions or need any additional information, I should be able to get back to you very fast. I am very happy to be a new member of this encouraging, supportive community! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ba502
    ba502 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but when I started running and was experiencing shin pain I slowed my pace down and shortened my stride. I also focus on trying to land my foot mid foot instead of heel striking. This has all helped me.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'd say follow the tips in this article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints

My former running buddy wore compression sleeves when she developed shin splints and that helped her.

Another suggestion is to run/walk on the softest surface you can. While you plan to run road races in the future, too much training on such a hard surface is not beneficial, and pointless. Most of my running is on a dirt/gravel track and it does not hinder my road races.

Be patient and respect that you might have to do some lower impact cardio work first and as you lose weight, your joints will build up to the higher impact (running) exercises.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First the brutally honest part: You didnt get to be 300lbs ASAP it took a while. So will losing it. Concentrate on a permanent healthy lifestyle and the weight will come off and you will be able to move more easily.

I started at 288lbs and attempted to run. It was not pretty. Lots of pain and could only jog for 30 seconds at a time. Ankles, shins, knees all are painful. So, I walked for two months and adjusted my diet; became 20 lbs lighter and tried again. This time, minimal pain and I am now halfway through C25K and a total of 50lbs lighter.

I suggest walking until your wheels are stronger and not in pain before getting too aggressive.

Dont be in a hurry. Slow and steady will win this race without you getting injured.
  • clouie2005
    Options
    bump
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I am guessing you are doing too much all at once. I started my running at 257lbs. Like you I wanted to be able to do it all at once. However I discovered once I slowed things down and took it one step at a time, I performed much better. I was experiencing planters facilities. I would suggest you start a proper running program like Couch to 5k. It will help build you up. I also suggest running on a softer surface until your joints and body get use to the running. If you let your self build up, you will have less problems in the long run.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Trust me checkout chi running http://www.chirunning.com/m/app/
  • d_creasman
    d_creasman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but I have been running most of my life. First off, you shouldn't try to run a mile straigt-especially if you have never run or haven't run in several years. You are asking to hurt yourself even worse. Start out slow and set reasonable goals. Shoot for run a lap and then walk a lap. The bottom line is that you are moving, even if you aren't running. It is a slow process, but in the end you won't risk hurting yourself worse.

Another good thing to do is the Jeff Galloway method. You start out running for a minute, then walk for a minute. It gradually builds from there, so that may not be a bad start point for you either.

Keep after it!
  • ottawapk
    ottawapk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had shin splints on and off the first couple of YEARS I ran. They went away as I got fitter and lost weight (80 pounds). Some tips:

- Form really makes a big difference. I agree with the advice above to try to land mid-foot. Chi Running is also a good method and promotes mid-foot landing.
    - Run slower than you think you should, and take shorter steps than you think you should. You might feel silly, but seriously it will help you build up strength and endurance.
    - Keep your runs short and milage low for a while. Build up verrrry slowly!
    - Ice your shins after you run!

Good luck!
  • careyshane32
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I guess I should have given more detail, but I was also using the couch to 5K app for iphone. (Aside from the one day I ran the hills). I know I need to take it slow, which is why I wanted to do the C25K program, but I may need to slow it down even more. The first week (I believe) is run 60 seconds walk 90 seconds, and I found that I could only get through about 3 of those intervals before my shins were killing me. I know I just need to build up the endurance slowly. In terms of heat/ice, is it better to heat before running and ice after? It seems that's a common theory, but was just wondering what you guys had found useful in your experience. Again, thanks for all of your help! I will keep you all updated on my progress! Hoping to run my first 5k in 3-4 months.
  • ScorpDX
    ScorpDX Posts: 93
    Options
    I started even heavier. I could run about 10 seconds before I was in agonizing pain. I started walking instead. A leisurely pace at first. Just started going as long as possible. Slowly increasing speed and distance over the next several months. It's worked great! I'm now up to 5 miles per workout. It took three months to get where I am now. It won't happen overnight!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i found compression sleeves for my shins and calves really helped when i was first starting out. especially if i used them post workout after my shower or even the next day (forced me to wear pants though :laugh: )
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i can feel your pain in that . when i was 300 lbs i couldnt even hardly walk. so thats what i did ...walk a short distance and then back home .. i got to a point i could walk a little farther ..then i started timing myself .. today im proud to say im working on a c210k .. been in a few 5k and 8k races but only to do it .. was usually in the middle with my timing .. all this took time and patience. im not a fast running and most i could ever do was five miles in an hour but it took me forever to get to that point
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you've got some great advice here but one other thing i think it worth mentioning, are you warming up before you try and run? when i first started running i wasn't doing any stretches i just had a quick walk round and then ran, it didn't go well and i found my legs in lots of pain very similar to shin splints
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    but I'm finding I cannot do very much at all because of shin splints.

Well what you need to do first is rest until the injury heals. If you persist in running on it you'll exacerbate the situation.

That said, what you're describing doesn't sounds entirely like shin splints. When I used to get shin splints it wouldn't "come on", it'd stop me walking without a stick for days after it started. It may be that you're not suffering shin splints, you're just out of condition and trying to overdo it.

Essentially shin splints are microfractures on the front of the shin bone as a result of overuse, where the muscle tears itself away from the bone. The only thing that's going to heal it is a break from the stress. Whilst that's happening you can think about how to deal with the underlying cause.

there are a number of potential causes of shin splints:

Shoes being inappropriate, ill fitting or worn out - You've already addresse this and the Beast is a good shoe for the very overwight runner. It'll have a life of between 300-500 miles, probably the lower end of that given weight and inexperience.

Doing too much too quickly. I would suggest using a structured plan to get yourself running, rather than just going out and running until it hurts. That allows you to develop the condition, and also allows the muscles and connecting tissues to develop as you increase the stresses on them. fwiw an ellipithell doesn't simulate an appropriate running motion, so it's not comparable, but it's useful therapy while the injury heals.

Form - Many new runners over-stride, or use an old fashioned heel strike. This means that the lower legs go through an awful lot of additional stresses through rotational forces and levering the main body mass vertically rather than forward. When you run try to focus on taking a very short pae, just landing the front foot slightly ahead of the main body mass. Keep the rate of steps high. That manifests as landing on the midfoot, which places a lot less stress on the system.

Muscular imbalance - Where the calf and shin muscles are developed differently. This involves building up the shin muscle, lifting a sandback with the toes, while the heel is on the ground, or using a resistance band to do similar. I prefer cycling with toes clipped into the pedals and consciously lifting the foot rather than just pumping it down.

In the meantime, ice the injury until it heals and work on identifying a plan that you can follow,
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I guess I should have given more detail, but I was also using the couch to 5K app for iphone. (Aside from the one day I ran the hills). I know I need to take it slow, which is why I wanted to do the C25K program, but I may need to slow it down even more. The first week (I believe) is run 60 seconds walk 90 seconds, and I found that I could only get through about 3 of those intervals before my shins were killing me. I know I just need to build up the endurance slowly. In terms of heat/ice, is it better to heat before running and ice after? It seems that's a common theory, but was just wondering what you guys had found useful in your experience. Again, thanks for all of your help! I will keep you all updated on my progress! Hoping to run my first 5k in 3-4 months.

I started C25K at almost 300lbs in Apr/May last year, it took me around 15 weeks to finish it as I couldn't do 3 runs a week. I generally did 1 or 2 and then swam or used elliptical on other days. I also iced my knees after every run at first whether it felt like I needed to or not. By August I could run 5k very very slowly but without walking (took me 50mins). Over time I've slowly built up distance and my speed has improved with it (5k PB is now 28:24). This weekend I run my 3rd HM. So give yourself time & listen to your body. As you run more and weigh less it becomes less painful and eventually ends up as fun! :happy: