Starvation Mode

Options
I just finished reading this post which which was posted as a link on another posting. It was quite informative (albeit a little misleading because i think it is about how many women have subtle but impactful thyroid issues more than it is about eating too few calories). BUT it brings up good points about how being restrictive will set you back, not move you forward.
But one question about 'starvation mode': as many point out, starvation mode isn't at a particular number for everyone. It is individual. So, how do you know you are in it? Sometimes a person is just plateauing if they stop losing. What if a person doesn't lose at a higher calorie nor low calorie diet?
link:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly

Replies

• protein321
    protein321 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    its not real so u are not in it :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode" where you magically hold onto fat isn't real. it's a myth.

However, there is a point where eating too few calories can cause major health issues. I'm not talking for a day or two either, but months - years of eating too few calories can have devastating effects on your health (some of which there is no fix..once it happens your stuck with the problem for life).

Give me a few minutes and I can find the symptoms.

edit: It can be dangerous, but the calorie intake has to be really, really low. True "starvation mode" is when your body is actually starving and it can have irreversible side effects.
    Problems with extremely low calorie intake (most of this stuff doesn't happen right away, but later down the road...its kind of like how some smokers end up with emphysema or lung cancer and some don't):

- Malnutrition

"Inadequate caloric intake can lead to malnutrition over time. According to MedlinePlus, malnutrition occurs when the diet does not allow the intake of a sufficient amount of nutrients. A diet with extremely low calories does not allow for adequate consumption of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants the body needs to perform its daily life processes. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to various problems, including fatigue, impaired wound healing and extreme weight loss." *1*

- Slower Metabolism (takes a while, but does happen)

"Metabolism is the rate at which the body burns fuel for energy. The basal metabolic rate is the minimum number of calories necessary to perform daily basic functions such as breathing, growth, cellular repair and digestion, according to MayoClinic.com. When calories are restricted over a long period of time, the body will compensate by holding on to the few calories that are consumed. Instead of burning calories freely, the body will perform basic life processes more slowly to conserve fuel. This can actually lead to weight gain." *1*

- Physical Changes

"A decrease in caloric intake may cause positive physical changes at first, especially in individuals with extra weight to lose. However, an extreme decrease in caloric intake can cause negative physical changes over time. Once individuals lose excess weight, calorie restriction can cause various physical problems. The Calorie Restriction Society indicates that decreasing daily calories too much can lead to reduced bone mass, fatigue, sensitivity to cold temperatures and food obsession due to extreme hunger. The CRS recommends gradual calorie reduction over a period of at least six months to avoid some of the side effects of low caloric intake." *1*

-Side Effects:

"Let’s look at some of the uncomfortable side effects of very low calorie diets:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Cold intolerance
    Dry skin and nails
    Menstrual irregularities in women
    Hair loss
    Constipation/diarrhoea
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate
    Muscle breakdown
    Problems with nerve and muscle function due to an imbalance in minerals and electrolytes
    Conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease" *2*

References:
    *1*
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/277053-what-are-the-dangers-of-low-caloric-intake/
    *2*
    http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/05/14/very-low-calorie-diet/
  • fullercorp
    fullercorp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i have tried losing weight at different calorie thresholds (1650, 1500, 1450) and NEVER lose. when i got down to 1200, people seize on that number and say 'you are in starvation mode'.
    what other- non thyroid, non PCOS- reasons are there that someone would cut calories and not lose. Not not lose slowly, NOT lose?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i have tried losing weight at different calorie thresholds (1650, 1500, 1450) and NEVER lose. when i got down to 1200, people seize on that number and say 'you are in starvation mode'.
    what other- non thyroid, non PCOS- reasons are there that someone would cut calories and not lose. Not not lose slowly, NOT lose?

Inaccurate logging, over eating, sodium intake and a new exercise regime causing you to hold onto water, food/water in your body.

Other then those with no medical condishunz if you are in a deficit you will lose weight.
  • shadow2soul
    Options

Do you weigh your food?
    How long do you keep at any given calorie limit? A week? A month?
    How much are you trying to lose?
    What kind of exercises are you doing?
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    *Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult.

I get this notification any time I don't eat close enough to my calorie goal. It doesn't pop up only if I've not eaten enough for 10 days or a week in a row....it seems to pop up the moment I click Complete This Entry if I'm around 100 calories short.

I read the comments in the threads frequently saying starvation mode is a myth...and being relatively new here I find this rather confusing. Is the MFP notification referring to something different from what you all are referring to in your posts?
  • fullercorp
    Options
    and the only answer is cut more calories? I mean, that is what logic tells me. But i will be under 1,000 at that point: the great bogeyman of VLCD.
    ( i do log calories, i eat the same thing almost everyday, i work out only about 4 times a week, 45 mins, elliptical). i drink a ton of water, low carb, protein bars and vegetables mostly...........but this isn't weeks or months. This is coming up on 2 years of changing my diet and no weight loss
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't believe we are all in danger of "starvation mode" every time we don't hit a magical, minimum calorie number but can anyone explain to me why MFP says I will go into this mode if I don't hit the number every day?

"*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum."

Example, I hit just over 2400 calories last Friday when I went to a party and I didn't work out that day so the next day I only ate 1114 in but MFP felt the need to push the "starvation mode" theory.
  • fullercorp
    Options
    "Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories."

I got down to this because i didn't lose weight- again, let me emphasize AT ALL- at higher levels. I didn't go from 2000 down to 1200; i went 1800 to 1600 to 1500 to 1400 over YEARS. i gave up diet soda 10 yrs ago, then i gave up almost all dairy 7 or 8 years ago, then i gave up sugar about a year and a half ago. I went low carb 15 years ago when everyone decided bagels were Satan's lifesavers. I don't eat processed foods (except veggie meat because i am not eating broccoli for breakfast). i don't like fruit. i basically took a page out of every healthy diet book and applied it. and nada.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    and the only answer is cut more calories? I mean, that is what logic tells me. But i will be under 1,000 at that point: the great bogeyman of VLCD.
    ( i do log calories, i eat the same thing almost everyday, i work out only about 4 times a week, 45 mins, elliptical). i drink a ton of water, low carb, protein bars and vegetables mostly...........but this isn't weeks or months. This is coming up on 2 years of changing my diet and no weight loss

Do you weigh your food? Even if you eat the same thing everyday, if you aren't weighing your food it is highly possible that your consuming more than you think.

If you have been doing the same routine for 2 years, than it is probably time to change up your workout routine. Our bodies get more efficient at different activities the more we do them and as a result that means we burn less calories doing them over time.

Do you take measurements? Have they changed at all?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Recheck the accuracy of your logging because if you're not losing your not in a deficit.

This. You're not in starvation mode. You just need to be accurate in either your intake, your output or both.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    I don't believe we are all in danger of "starvation mode" every time we don't hit a magical, minimum calorie number but can anyone explain to me why MFP says I will go into this mode if I don't hit the number every day?

"*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum."

Example, I hit just over 2400 calories last Friday when I went to a party and I didn't work out that day so the next day I only ate 1114 in but MFP felt the need to push the "starvation mode" theory.

That would be something you would have to ask MFP staff.

My theory:
    It's to keep people from eating VLCD's which could cause any number of problems that I listed above. It's easier just to push the starvation myth (scare tactic) than to list all the horrible side effects that could happen if you did it on a regular basis (everyday for months-years).
  • fullercorp
    Options
    let's say i was eating 1400 calories because i had more broccoli than i thought, according to MFP and my own TDEE, i should still be losing and i don't.
    and as for logging, i switched to 'packaged' foods just to narrow in on calories (so i haven't eaten vegetables of any volume for a while). the veggie meat, the protein bars and english muffins all have a calorie counts on the package.
    Are you saying to weigh each of these to verify they are the ounces they say? Doesn't their own factory production line do this?
  • DeliD25
    DeliD25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I read the comments in the threads frequently saying starvation mode is a myth...and being relatively new here I find this rather confusing. Is the MFP notification referring to something different from what you all are referring to in your posts?
    Same thing, but MFP is flagging that to few calories will be a problem. As another poster said, this is over time and not based on one or two days. MFP is a system intended for millions of people and cannot substitute for sound medical advice given we all have differing bodies and needs.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    98861565-b025-4ceb-b97d-1e94d591d454_zps0465f8f5.jpg

These men were in starvation mode. They ate 1570 calories a day and walked a few miles a day. They lost weight until they looked like this. If your eating intakes was as accurate as theirs, you'd lose weight too. You are not a medical marvel who cannot lose weight. You're just not being accurate in one part of the CICO equation. Good luck finding that accuracy.