Do you consider this a workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sofaa1
    Sofaa1 Posts: 19
    Options
    Overkill how?

How?! Look at it! Have you actually attempted it yet? If so, did you actually get through it all without quitting (or passing out)? If so, go you, but it's just too much. 200 jumping jacks, 200 this, 200 that. Why? You can get an effective cardio workout in without doing the same thing 200 times. It's just a bit ridiculous. Try HIIT or...anything else!

Yes I have done this workout a couple of times this week, I do not find it that hard, if that is what you mean by overkill. Which is why I asked the question.. I sort of feel like it's not enough to call it a good enough workout :) but thank you for your answer
  • Sofaa1
    Options
    How long does that take?

I reckon I could walk to the gym, do my workout and walk home in the time it took to complete that lot...

It takes 30-40 mins. and my gym is quite far away, so I wouldn't be able to do that in such short time :)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've currently started IIFYM and have put in that I exercise 3 times a week. This is usually the case, as I usually go to the gym 4 times a week at least, but these weeks I'm working full time for the first time in my life, so i barely have the energy to go and I end up doing home workouts instead.. Anyways,would you consider the following a good enough workout? :)

200 jump rope jumps
    200 jumping jacks
    200 high knees
    200 butt kickers
    200 twist jumps
    200 boxing punches
    100 karate kicks
    80 "ice skaters"
    40 frog jumps
    30 sit ups
    30 bridge pulses
    2 min. hula hooping

I personally would not consider it a good workout. It is a bit of overkill and the 2 min of hula hooping isn't long enough to be effective. There are more effective exercise workouts that likely take less time than what yours does. If it is working for you then that's all that matters though.
  • AdaVanderlyle
    AdaVanderlyle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For me that wouldn't be a workout, it would be a trip to the ER.

Yeah me too!

zmmuy8.jpg
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Sure its a workout, but, IMO, it's too much plyometrics.

Plyometrics/jumping should be added gradually. If anything is gonna **** up your ligaments or tear something its doing high volume plyometrics. Doing plyo while tired is a recipe for disaster. People roll ankles all the time doing P90X plyo for 1hr+. Too much effort= emergency room visit.

theres my 2 cents.

the program (if you can call it that) lacks balance
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Well I would not call it a workout..- I would call it a workload

There is a reason you asked this question.. and there is another issue under foot..and that is --->INTENT

Yes, Im going to get fire breathed on me but here's the issue..at hand..

All that has been demonstrated is that you have become addicted to exertion fatigue..What this means is in order to jack up intensity. whether it be by

changing exercise type, ,a change in exercise sequence, or mess with the volume..you are jarring and creating shearing forces on your joints so repetitively you are more than

likely and frankly facing a lead up to injury which is why i think you posed the question,,

your body will be waiting to exhale..

To me a workout is not that you can just do a prescribed number of reps or how complicated your sequence of exercises can be or the fact that it's hard..to get through..

its exertion for sure- nice open ended endurance-ish..plyo metric in nature and its fatiquing no doubt..

I actually did them and I sweated a little..but my how many years of this will result in a positive end game for you
    What are you looking to achieve..?

You can burn calories all you want but for most people here on MFP they want unwanted bodyfat GONE!

No matter how many added reps or sets of variation to this routine their issue is NOT subsiding anytime soon with this kind 12 to 20 minute of workload..

Workouts in my view should have three distinct components

1) What is the intent? and will that intent set me up for or bring me closer to my end game..- I love to challenge every muscle but I know for certain by buns are going to be gorgeous enough for girl to grip.. not just going for the gut busting gusto..for burning calories. Calories are all played out it simply leads to an addiction to exertion fatique

2) Will the routine advance my free will, will power or both..? In my mind A Workout advances Both.. For a string of exercises to become a workout and time well spent one must come to grips with their ability to exert, pit, test and retest the physical equivalent of will power over free will. I see exercises strung to gether.. the physical equivalent of willpower over something I guess is gravity..but you can stand up on two legs.200 times.. I guess

3) Is the end game a work in progress or a work of progress or both? In this case its hard to tell..I have always viewed a workout as a work in progress but one can easily argue its both.. In this case I dont see the work of progress except more exertion to a place of more exertion, to a place of more exertion, to a place of more exertion,...to a place of even more exertion..

At some point damage to the participant begins to undermine the end game killing the intended.

... I DO NOT see this approach helping me keep , maintain or further building out a more modern masculine frame..
    But that's just me

Great topic to flesh out and chew on..though

DANCES with WOW
    helping achievers and over achievers emit, exude, command and forge life force through fitness
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Context. What are you hoping to achieve with this workout?
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    holy crap....you have some stamina!
  • Sofaa1
    Options

There is a reason you asked this question.. and there is another issue under foot..and that is --->INTENT

All that has been demonstrated is that you have become addicted to exertion fatigue..What this means is in order to jack up intensity. whether it be by

changing exercise type, ,a change in exercise sequence, or mess with the volume..you are jarring and creating shearing forces on your joints so repetitively you are more than

likely and frankly facing a lead up to injury which is why i think you posed the question,,

To me a workout is not that you can just do a prescribed number of reps or how complicated your sequence of exercises can be or the fact that it's hard..to get through..

its exertion for sure- nice open ended endurance-ish..plyo metric in nature and its fatiquing no doubt..

I actually did them and I sweated a little..but my how many years of this will result in a positive end game for you

You can burn calories all you want but for most people here on MFP they want unwanted bodyfat GONE!

No matter how many added reps or sets of variation to this routine their issue is NOT subsiding anytime soon with this kind 12 to 20 minute of workload..

1) What is the intent? and will that intent set me up for or bring me closer to my end game..- I love to challenge every muscle but I know for certain by buns are going to be gorgeous enough for girl to grip.. not just going for the gut busting gusto..for burning calories. Calories are all played out it simply leads to an addiction to exertion fatique

2) Will the routine advance my free will, will power or both..? In my mind A Workout advances Both.. For a string of exercises to become a workout and time well spent one must come to grips with their ability to exert, pit, test and retest the physical equivalent of will power over free will. I see exercises strung to gether.. the physical equivalent of willpower over something I guess is gravity..but you can stand up on two legs.200 times.. I guess

3) Is the end game a work in progress or a work of progress or both? In this case its hard to tell..I have always viewed a workout as a work in progress but one can easily argue its both.. In this case I dont see the work of progress except more exertion to a place of more exertion, to a place of more exertion, to a place of more exertion,...to a place of even more exertion..

At some point damage to the participant begins to undermine the end game killing the intended.

... I DO NOT see this approach helping me keep , maintain or further building out a more modern masculine frame..
    But that's just me

DANCES with WOW
    helping achievers and over achievers emit, exude, command and forge life force through fitness

Thank you for taking your time to answer so thoroughly! :) I will definitely consider everything that you are saying
  • Sofaa1
    Options

As I said I have used the IIFYM calculator to figure out my numbers and so on, and I have put in that I work out 3 times a week. If I don't go to the gym per say 3 times a week, but instead do this workout as a substitute for one of my gym sessions, would this workout be good enough for me to keep "telling" IIFYM that I work out 3 times a week, or should I lower my numbers? :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

But that's just me

DANCES with WOW

Do you even metaphor?
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

But that's just me

DANCES with WOW

Thank you for taking your time to answer so thoroughly! :) I will definitely consider everything that you are saying

Please don't consider that stuff. He's just trying to sell you something. He doesn't come right out and say it, but he is.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    If you are looking to substitute
    > intent
    Then this WOULD NOT be a choice to use for the calculator.. as it would be registering blind activity only...

by blind I mean your motorskill transitions are unsubstantiated there is no ability to accurately give it a measure as your progression is only related to the reps..which because of your motorskills can be easily defused when fatigued.

The intent to just a substitute is several degrees of separation from being on target for what you wnat.
    Calculators are based on test subject variables..when every circumstance is under one distinct control... how many calories are you burning..

For me I want to know how many lipolytic enzymes are needed to tell my body fat to stop fattening up.. I wnat my cardio threshold to be advancing each and every session, I want to know what is my replenishment index (Rpndx%) so i know if I am contributing to weaponizing unwanted body fat , I want to know what string of exercising is giving me the most bang for my time..

Am I creating a learning relationship with my body I can count on ----> Thats INTENT.. an right now you have no idea as its based on what?

I do not see any of this in your routine..

As I said I have used the IIFYM calculator to figure out my numbers and so on, and I have put in that I work out 3 times a week. If I don't go to the gym per say 3 times a week, but instead do this workout as a substitute for one of my gym sessions, would this workout be good enough for me to keep "telling" IIFYM that I work out 3 times a week, or should I lower my numbers? :)
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    the 2 min. hula hooping is what will make the difference!

Nailed it!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

So are you just using this workout in order to have a higher calorie allowance, or do you have any specific fitness goals that you are working towards?