Have a Hard Time Eating Under 2000 Calories

Options

Replies

• jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was a mindless snacker as well, and timing my snacks and pre-planning my snack portions helped me to get it under control.

I would have a nice breakfast, snack at 10:30, lunch at noon, snack at 2:30, supper at 5, and typically stop eating for the night (with a few exceptions).

Knowing when/what my next snack would be helped me to keep it under control, and it seems to be working so far. My typical snacks are yogurt or almonds (I pre-count the almonds and put them in a baggy so I don't go overboard). Snacks with protein help me feel a bit fuller.

I also try to avoid sugar because it's a "trigger food" for me. But - last night I had a two oreos, and I was able to stop. Part of it was because I planned for those two oreos, and I only took two out of the box.

That's what's working for me. I'm not saying it would work for everybody but it's one strategy.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Like you I love dessert I now have a options hot chocolate at 38 calories it satisfies my sweet tooth and because its hot I drink it slowly.
    Rather than concentrate on lowering calories look at the food you eat and maximise food for example rather than a tuna sandwich try tuna on ryvita its equally filling but less calories its like shopping on a budget you want to get as much as you can for your money you want to eat as much food for as little calories so you don't go over. I find nuts in greek yogurt keep me full 3-4 hours or a cottage cheese salad or chicken salad keep me full just experiment it took me ages to get my food in check
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I am an evening snacker... I recognize this, and in order to accommodate that, I tailor my day to accommodate that. For me, I've found that a smaller breakfast and lunch allow me a bigger dinner and more room for snacks.

I've also cut out most drinks, allowing myself my one coffee and no juice /pop.

I've adjusted my snack foods so that if I DO want to snack, I have better, lower cal options. (I. E snap peas and carrots, over granola bars)

Start looking at where you can skim cals off your snacks, rather than trying to eliminate them all together.

And also this. Start thinking of your calories in the same way you would a daily monetary budget, but instead of $$$ you're spending calories. Figure out where you might be able to save a few throughout the day so that you can "afford" that treat in the evening.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    MP, while Ladybird's question gets to the point, lemme add a couple of things:

Sugary foods are addictive. That may sound severe, but if you've ever been around a chocolate lover (which is addictive for other reasons as well) whose gone 'cold turkey' you will have seen the mood swings they exhibit.

Change your diet for long enough and those foods won't taste quite as good when/if you return to them (I used to drink several sodas a day...now they taste like battery acid to me).

I would add: At your age, your metabolism is likely ramped up pretty high. The trick is to ramp it up higher by timing your meals; small meals/snacks 5-6 times a day, protein 30-45 minutes after working out, save the bread until the evening, throw in some chiles if you like spicy food, etc. etc. Binging on a load of calories at night is worse than if you had eaten the same amount of calories throughout the day.

P.S: Just came in from the gym and am a bit light-headed, I hope the above makes sense.

I'm gonna go ahead and say none of this should be listened to. Meal timing doesn't matter. Eat whenever you feel hungry. Also, sugar isn't something to be avoided. That's absurd and unnecessary.

OP, do you get enough protein and fats in your diet? They will help you feel fuller than carbs. For example, a tuna sandwich (roughly 200 calories) will keep me much fuller than a bowl of ramen (380 calories).

Yes, this.

Also, try focusing on higher fiber foods: beans, sweet potatoes, squash. Fiber tends to make me feel fuller on fewer calories.

An apple with peanut butter is an unstoppable snack when you want to feel full.
  • hmroebuck
    hmroebuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As usual you will tons of contradictions here. Process it all and find what works for you. Yes, you could lose weight eating all desserts, but they will be so calorie dense, you will be left feeling hungry all the time. There may not be any scientific evidence supporting evenly spaced meals/snacks, it does help a lot of people, if only mentally.

Here's what I'm learning about myself:

I need structured meal times to help motivate me. I really like food, especially food that is not good for me. I know I need to change my emotional attachment to food. I need to view food as fuel, and nothing more. For me, structuring and planning my meals (contents and times) helps me do that. Only eating when I'm hungry doesn't work, as much as I'd like it too. Not eating until I was hungry at 2-3pm is part of the habits that lead me to being overweight. I do my best to eat every 3 hours now. I keep my body consistently fueled, and rarely ever even get hungry. I have also learned that I was snacking a lot out of cravings, boredom, stress, etc. not out of hunger. When I feel that way, first I drink a glass of water, then I change what I'm doing. Engaging in a different activity usually gets my mind off food until my next scheduled meal/snack.

As far as desserts/sugars, I have to give them up, period (as well as white breads and potatoes). I can't moderate them. I am a sugar addict. Three weeks in, I honestly don't crave them anymore. Between my morning (sugar-free) coffee creamer, protein bar, pre-workout fruit, protein shakes, etc., my sweet tooth is satisfied. Last weekend we went to a French bakery where I had a couple bites of others' desserts and some I could hardly tolerate they were so sweet. The only time I'm having trouble with white bread and potatoes is when the family if eating out. Some places have such limited menus that it's difficult to eat enough without caving into these. Time is helping though. While my mind wanted to tell me it wasn't possible to go without them, I'm finding it is most definitely possible.

I didn't start out perfect on this journey, and I'm still not there. But everyday I am learning and getting better. I'm healing myself slowly in small steps.

You can do this!

I suggest logging your food and opening your diary. My nutritionist, and info here, help me to see better replacements for less than great choices.

I am 5'5 158lbs and am having trouble getting in 1000 calories most days. I'm not miserable or feeling deprived of anything. It can be done, you just have to make up your mind to do it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What do you eat 2000 calories is a lot?

Fruits and veggies need to be consume for micro nutrients.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I always try to have protein at breakfast which keeps me fuller for longer in the morning. If you plan out your days in the morning it will help keep you on track. I usually have at least three snacks per day. (greek yogurt + banana; apple + cheese; popcorn). If I am still munchy I'll make some tea. I'll also drink tea at night if I don't have room for dessert. (Sleepytime tea also gets you in sleep-mode)

There is also no reason to not have dessert if you have the calories for it. The trick is to measure out the dessert and then put the rest away. I usually eat 1600-2000 calories a day feel free to check out my diary (I am far from perfect though LOL).
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I've lost 28lbs and sometimes I think to just give up or have a pizza here or there but I'm motivated by thinking about what I will look like. I was around 14 stone 6 and now i weight 12 stone 3lbs.

The trick is to eat smaller meals and spread them throughout the day, snack on healthy things and dont eat after 7pm.

You can do it :)

The only thing I agree with above is...You can do it. :)

You can eat after 7. You can have pizza.

I've lost more than my ticker says doing both of those things.

Everything I've learned in 2 years.

It's about moderation not deprivation. There are no good/bad foods, only bad eating habits. Do or do not, there is no try. You have to want it, you have to work for it, you have to realize that only you can do it.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

I am 5'5" I eat 2000 calories a day (though more lately because of the lifting...) I lift heavy 3x a week, I also kickbox.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I am a 20 year old female, 150 pounds, 5'5'. I've been trying to lose weight for 2 years and haven't lost a pound because I have the hardest time eating under 2000 calories. I'll eat 1600, 1700, or 1800 calories for a few days, but then revert back to old habits and eat 2000+ calories a day. I love food and I don't know what to do. I have bad habits of eating dessert every night and mindless snacking. I really want to lose 15ish pounds, but it won't happen with the amount of food I eat. I usually work out at high intensity about 4 times per week burning 400-500 calories per session.

Any advice? I just recently started tracking again, trying to stay around 1600 calories.

Thanks....:)

Honestly sometimes the way to break a bad habit is to just force yourself to take control. You tell yourself you do not need dessert every night and soon it won't feel like you're missing something. As for the mindless snacking, either get rid of the snacks or don't let yourself snack without paying attention, even if it means counting out 28 peanuts or whatever the serving size is and putting the rest away.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2", and I eat 2000 calories. I lift heavy 3 times per week, and I walk most days of the week.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's the types of food that you are eating? Not enough protein or maybe eating a lot of white carb or sugar?

I am 300+ lbs and have been eating on average 1700-1800 a day for the past 6 months almost, and I am not starving. Feel free to have a look at my food diary.
  • kaischu
    kaischu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's helped me to remove temptations from the house, like someone else said. I'm a big snacker too so last time I went grocery shopping I bought lots of healthy snacks and threw out my old stuff (cookies, ice cream, etc). I find its harder to build up calories eating veggies and whatnot than binging on cookies and chocolate. I still eat them but now it's limited to when I go out and buy them and they're not readily available a few steps away.
    Aside from the snacking, I've had trouble too because I used to eat 3500+ cals a day and I've cut to less than 2000 as well. A couple other things that help me are making sure I keep up my water intake, and I usually keep gum with me for when I get bored-hungry but I know I'm not actually physically hungry.
    That being said, don't deprive your body of the calories you need!! And like some else said, moderation is important. Have the foods you love just not all the time!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A. Every trainer and nutritionist I've ever talked to has stressed meal timing. Since I'm neither, you'll have to take it up with them. It has worked for me (very well).

There is ZERO scientific support for meal timing beyond a few after workout things. The myth is pure broscience, and even spouted by nutritionists I saw at MIT. They did not like it when I asked them to provide evidence of their claims, they liked it less when I provided evidence torpedoing their claims. They got off that tack quickly.

I invite you to look for proof from peer reviewed articles: http://scholar.google.com

The theory of meal timing is an advanced fitness THEORY reserved for advanced fitness people.

For us commoners it has no bearing, a caorie defecit daily + time = weight loss

Let's be clear, because this irks me.

Theory: Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking.
    Scientific Theory: A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.

One of these things is not like the other. There is some evidence showing that protein intake and utilization is increased by a few % points for a period of time after a workout, but you ARE correct in that being for advanced folks, because that's increasing marginal efficiency which is something you do once you have the bulk of everything else figured out.

I also completely agree with your last comment.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    A. Every trainer and nutritionist I've ever talked to has stressed meal timing. Since I'm neither, you'll have to take it up with them. It has worked for me (very well).

There is ZERO scientific support for meal timing beyond a few after workout things. The myth is pure broscience, and even spouted by nutritionists I saw at MIT. They did not like it when I asked them to provide evidence of their claims, they liked it less when I provided evidence torpedoing their claims. They got off that tack quickly.

I invite you to look for proof from peer reviewed articles: http://scholar.google.com

The theory of meal timing is an advanced fitness THEORY reserved for advanced fitness people.

For us commoners it has no bearing, a caorie defecit daily + time = weight loss

Let's be clear, because this irks me.

Theory: Theory is a contemplative and rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, or the results of such thinking.
    Scientific Theory: A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.

One of these things is not like the other. There is some evidence showing that protein intake and utilization is increased by a few % points for a period of time after a workout, but you ARE correct in that being for advanced folks, because that's increasing marginal efficiency which is something you do once you have the bulk of everything else figured out.

I also completely agree with your last comment.

Royreid.ca-WTF-210403107.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    The trick is to eat smaller meals and spread them throughout the day, snack on healthy things and dont eat after 7pm.

I swear, this myth is like a lich, always rolling 20s to dodge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    To be blunt... You just have to want it more than the cookies or whatever you are snacking on. There's no miracle solution for willpower.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I think that it is a "trick" not a rule.

If you are someone who likes snacking, then doing mulitple small meals is LIKE snacking all day... it's just spreading your consumption across the day... it satisfies the snacker's need to snack, and helps reduce the result of blowing your calories.

It is not necessary for success in weight loss... it is just a trick.

Just like my minimal eating during the day, so that I can have a big supper, munch on some food when I'm giving my kids bed time snacks, and then maybe a peanut butter banana sandwich before I go to sleep.

TRICK vs. REQUIREMENT. :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    In fact, because it amuses me.

I dub this, "Missed me bro!"

Lich.jpg
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I think that it is a "trick" not a rule.

If you are someone who likes snacking, then doing mulitple small meals is LIKE snacking all day... it's just spreading your consumption across the day... it satisfies the snacker's need to snack, and helps reduce the result of blowing your calories.

It is not necessary for success in weight loss... it is just a trick.

Just like my minimal eating during the day, so that I can have a big supper, munch on some food when I'm giving my kids bed time snacks, and then maybe a peanut butter banana sandwich before I go to sleep.

TRICK vs. REQUIREMENT. :)

Further comment: the whole don't eat after 7pm is BS. I'd be so screwed if that were a legit requirement. MOST of my calories come in after 8pm.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    In fact, because it amuses me.

I dub this, "Missed me bro!"

Lich.jpg
    Spreadest thine meals, mortals!