Fad dieting to kick start weight loss

Options
So today I went to the doctor's, I wanted to get my thyroid checked as I am still struggling to loose any weight even though I am doing all the right things.

she explained to me that it may be wise to do something like the atkins diet in order to kick start my weight loss?

I have been working out for a while, I typically do an hour of walking inclines everyday (I'm a big girl at 220lbs and it's easier on my asthma than running) I also do a kettlebell routine of a night. I haven't plateaued as I've lost nothing to begin with,

She suggested this as a medical professional. Has anyone used this method to kick start themselves? If so which one did you do and did you have any success

Thanks in advance

Replies

• betty_2010
    betty_2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used the cambridge diet plan
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Healthy calorie deficit

Weighing/measuring/logging all your food

Exercise you enjoy - so you will do it consistently

Making the 3 things above become habits

Patience

Patience

Patience
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
  • mummyjonno
    mummyjonno Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately with my body patience doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I am actually doing the rest though :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My Awesome sister has successfully maintained a 70 pound weight loss for the past four years. She kicked off with one of those books that told you to eat XYZ in week one, then ABC in week two, etc. I think it was like the four day diet, or the two week diet, or the 17 day diet.. something like that. When she first started she needed the structure and restrictions. She stayed with it for only a few months before transitioning to something more sensible and sustainable but it was enough to help her become aware of her eating and fully dedicate herself to her weight loss and fitness journey.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Healthy calorie deficit

Weighing/measuring/logging all your food

Exercise you enjoy - so you will do it consistently

Making the 3 things above become habits

Patience

Patience

Patience

I agree wholeheartedly with this, but I did start out with an Atkins type low carb diet for a couple months and it does work. Just be careful not to OD on carbs when you do come off ;)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    The Atkins diet is a ketogenic diet and ketogenic diets are based on sound scientific research. Low carb diest don't work for everyone. Some people have horrible side effects. Many people flourish too. If you can mentally handle the dietary restrictions, give it a try.

Id suggest reading Lyle McDionald's book The Ketogenic Diet

ETA:

Bunching ketogenic diets along with master cleanse, juice cleanses and other stuff, is simply a poor grouping. They are not similar at all.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    Unfortunately with my body patience doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I am actually doing the rest though :)

So you've been eating at a calorie deficit for 7 months and haven't lost any weight? Outside of underlying health issues (which your doctor would have checked for, I hope) that means you are not in a calorie deficit.

Although we can log food, log exercise, and think we are doing everything right, if something is off in your calculations or recording - your body still keeps the ultimate record. Listen to it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private and only you know your stats, logging accuracy and calorie goal.....

To answer your question - no I don't believe in kickstarts (except for my 1977 Yamaha motorbike!).
    I was fat for 20 years but when I properly started tracking my calories in and out I lost weight. Slowly and steadily and with a view to what was going to be sustainable after I got to my goal weight.
    The way to start is is the way you intend to continue IMHO.
  • mummyjonno
    Options
    I'm currently eating 1700 a day and burning anything from 500-700 a day working out (I use a HRM to determine that)

The doctor has booked me in for my thyroid checking on Monday, the last time I had it done was in 2010 but it came back clear.
  • mummyjonno
    Options
    That's what I am trying to do, I am eating as clean as I can, I have kicked out any carbonated drinks and replaced with water - so I know that is right and how I mean to go on although that doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've not lost 1lb in months. I am literally the exact same weight as when I began.

In case it matters I am a 5ft female and I'm 220lbs right now. my calorie intake on here is 1700 and I am meeting that target and eating some of my work out calories back as instructed.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    So maybe you've got some thyroid issues. If not, you're overestimating your calorie burns or underestimating what you are eating. Play around with your numbers some. Tighten up on your weighing and measuring.

7 months is a long time to go with no loss. You are obviously eating at maintenance. Consider that your HRM may not be as accurate as you think - sometimes they are not. Drop your cals to 1500 or 1600 for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the least likely cause is that you are a medical marvel and can't lose weight.
    The most likely cause is that you have been eating at maintenance for reasons that gypsyrunner gives.

Two options are:
    1/ Don't change anything in your food / exercise logging routines but take 250 cals a day off your goal. That "should" give you half a pound a week loss so you would have to stick with it for a number of weeks to even out any bumps and dips caused by normal weight fluctuations.
    2/ Make a fresh start. Weigh and measure absolutely everything you eat or drink. Try to calibrate your HRM as although 500 - 700 average exercise burns are possible that's a really serious amount of strenuous exercise (ten hours per week perhaps). HRMs aren't always accurate, just having a higher than average heart rate will throw it out.

Knowing your maintenance level is actually very useful so don't despair!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. Barring medical issues, calorie deficit should do it for you. I say this because:

I was once about 220, and I'm 5'4", so pretty much exactly you right now. I cut my calories to 1600 a day religiously, and started walking at least a half hour a day. I lost weight. Barring something medical, you should, too. Track/log food carefully. Make sure you're finding the right thing in the MFP database to reflect what you've eaten. Weigh your food. I can't stress enough how important that is.
  • kimmy27848
    kimmy27848 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have tried many of those fad diets (Atkins, South Beach, 17 day, Hormone Balance, etc, etc) and loved them AT FIRST because you lose a lot of weight in the first few weeks. The problem is that they are impossible to sustain, because they require a lot of shopping, prepping etc and also require cutting many thing out of your diet. When I stopped using those diets I gained back all the weight I lost, plus a few extra. I used to think that I couldn't lose weight by just eating "normally", but I've found that by being REALLY honest with the MFP food journal and making sure there is a deficit each day, I am losing weight. And I'm doing this by eating all the foods my family is eating, but mindfully and in moderation. Hopefully you will find what works for you too, but don't pin too much hope on any of those "diets".
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why? Just eat less. You're mentioning exercise but not your diet.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you have any symptoms of a hormonal imbalance?

I'm not a fan of the Atkins diet, since everyone I know personally has regained the weight. But, for hormone issues, I'd definitely recommend decreasing your percentage of carbs (as in cut them in half) and increasing your good fat and protein for a while. That will give your body an opportunity to try to balance itself out, especially if you're already eating a clean diet.

I also found that my workouts need to be fairly intense (for me that meant a good sweat for 20-30 minutes). If you don't have a good heart rate monitor, then you might think about getting one, since MFP calculations can be pretty far off from the real thing.

Hopefully, that will give you a start. Oh, and I found that sometimes I have to increase my net calories as my metabolism improves in order to continue to lose weight.

Once you start losing and feeling better, then you can slowly add carbs back to your diet to reach a sustainable level.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Even with thyroid issues, you should be losing if you truly are in a deficit for 7 months and exercising. I'm not saying you're lying about being in a deficit or logging your food - it is just very easy to underestimate, forget the little tastes/snacks throughout the day, and/or overestimate your exercise burns.

My thyroid is no longer functional (hasn't been since I was a kid). When I wasn't on meds, it made losing weight much more difficult, but not impossible. I'd wait for your results, but also really look closely at what your habits have been. As a warning, thyroid pills don't make the weight just fall off, either. You still will need to work really hard at it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    So maybe you've got some thyroid issues. If not, you're overestimating your calorie burns or underestimating what you are eating. Play around with your numbers some. Tighten up on your weighing and measuring.

7 months is a long time to go with no loss. You are obviously eating at maintenance. Consider that your HRM may not be as accurate as you think - sometimes they are not. Drop your cals to 1500 or 1600 for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

This!!!
    OP , if your only netting @1200 calories a day, then you should be losing weight. I would definitely tighten up on weighing and measuring your foods and see what happens.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Usually people who are not successful are not logging as well as they think. It sounds like you are estimating burns ok but make sure you weigh all your solids and measure any calorie containing liquids. Log everything, every day. If you are a "cheat day/meal" person you are likely eating back your deficit and stalling yourself. If you are not logging every single day, every single thing, then you can't have accurate expectations.

ETA: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide