Protein shakes

Hello everyone. I finally bought myself a 5 LB tub of Optimum Nutrition Whey protein I've read many conflicting articles on when to drink protein shakes, but most say after working out. However, I workout weekdays from around 5:30-6:45 and usually eat dinner (chicken and vegetables) right after. So when should I be having my protein shakes? Morning? Before workout? I'd like to limit my shakes to two per day and I don't think it makes sense to have it with my dinner. Thanks!

BTW, I usually have eggs for breakfast, chicken with salad for lunch, and some healthy snacks like almonds and fruit between meals.

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Look at it this way, a protein shake is food just in liquid form. The ideal time to have a shake is yes, after a workout. Go for 2 scoops in one shake after your workout.
  • Crod8712
    Crod8712 Posts: 3
    With dinner? I've been told it does't make sense to have 70+ grams of protein in one sitting...

Each scoop is 24 grams and the chicken I eat for dinner also has protein.
  • dgoupil66
    dgoupil66 Posts: 17
    I have mine post workout in the morning or occasionally in the middle of the day as a quick meal.

56510973.png
  • Mungobro
    Mungobro Posts: 1 Member
    The "OPTIMAL" way to get protein for optimal muscle growth is in small doses every 3 hours or so, hence why body builders eat so often. Have a single scoop maybe twice a day between your major meal. OR what I personally do is have a shake with breakfast because i struggle to eat much solid food at breakfast. So a large shake is an easy way to get food in.
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    i have one in the morning in a big smoothie then one post workout normally, i sometimes use as afternoon snack at work to keep me going through to dinner as it does fill u up
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Bump
  • Crod8712
    Crod8712 Posts: 3
    Since it seems the time of consumption doesn't matter, I'll just have one shake at 6:30 am when I wake up, then another at around 4 pm before going to the gym at 5:30. So my daily diet would be:

6:30 am - protein shake (with water) with a banana
    9:30 am - eggs
    12:30 pm - salad (lite honey mustard) with chunks of chicken breast (or tuna) and other veggies
    4:00 pm - protein shake (with water)
    7:00 pm - chicken and veggies

I'll mix in some fruits and nuts during the day.

Thanks for the help.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Consume whenever the biggest gap in protein intake is during your day. This may change day to day. Otherwise, bfefore, during, or after working out.

No protein with breakfats? well theres your answer

Vegetarain meal for lunch? well, theres your answer

in a rush and need to eat? ... ding ding ding
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Meal timing is irrelevant. As long as you get your macronutrients in at some point in the day then you will be fine. I tend to get all of my protein from meals. The meal that gives me the most is usually in the night when I get home from work and the gym and I have time to cook up some chicken etc.

Protein shakes can be handy to have every now and then but you will find that it helps with keeping full if you are actually getting your protein from meals.

Don't be one of those people that chugs a shake straight after a workout because god help us, our muscles will disappear INSTANTLY if you don't.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    nvm
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    My shake tells me to have protein within an hour of my lifting workout. So if I know I'm having dinner as soon as I get home I will have a shake as a sweet treat an hour or two after dinner. Or if I know I'm going to have to wait for dinner after a workout I'll have a shake right away and eat a couple of hours later.

ETA: I don't believe I *have* to do this, but I'm always hungry after lifting anyway.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    I'd personally take the shake with breakfast then......either WITH breakfast or as a substitute for breakfast.....add some Peanut butter, strawberries, or bananas to it.....mmmm nom nom lol