The unusual success story of an "old dog" and new tricks

Options
Becre8tive
Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
This post might be boring for a lot of the younger people and that’s OK, I was one of you once and I understand.

Every year I would fall into the cookie jar during the Holiday Season and I would always gain some weigh; but I was always able to lose it fairly easy. Of course it took some effort, but nothing dramatic. Just a little bit of discipline and some extra activities and the scale was back to normal…until the next Holiday Season.

Then one day, without any warning, Mother Nature decided to throw me into menopause. I gained weight just by looking at food (I am not kidding) and it stuck to me, like somebody glued it on my hips with superglue. My belly grew and so did the rest of me…slowly but steady…week by week. I called it Menopause H*E*L*L. All of a sudden the weight gain was even different. It was all around my middle section and I hated it. I looked like an old pregnant woman…just terrible and it made me feel so bad. My confidence level was down to 0.

I assume that we all start to think about our life when we turn 50. I looked at my life and myself and decided to make some changes. I decided to give up smoking. I smoked on and off for over 25 years; the last 15 years without any break. From one day to the next I just stopped. I put it out and never smoked again ( over 8 months now).

All of a sudden food started to taste so much better and I was ALWAYS hungry. I could eat 24/7 and so I did. “Don’t worry about it, you can lose the weight later” that’s what I have been told. Later? When?

81 days ago I stepped on the scale and looked at the number. I gained 60 lbs in 4 years and I hated it. I hated how I felt, I hated how I looked. I hated the clothes I had wear. I hated the word "fat". I thought about it, went to my computer, signed up here at the MFP and started my journey. Right from the start I found the most amazing friends and their support makes me smile every day.

A lot of you might think “but she only lost 14 lbs so far” and it might not sound like a lot, but it is to me.

My consistent weight gain has not just stopped…it has been reversed!

My progress is much slower than I was 20 years ago, but I make progress and that's all that matters.

I feel like a new person. Every morning I get my coffee and log in here. I plan my day and log the food. I buy exotic vegetables, healthy meat and fish and try new recipes. I plan new meals and write my shopping list surrounded by cookbooks and bookmarked Health pages on the internet.

The food log is so important! What an eye-opener! I realized that my daily wine habit was killing my new lifestyle. “Do I really have to drink alcohol every day”? The answer was “No” and so I started a group “Let’s cut down drinking” and with just a few members and support it was just as easy as changing my eating habits. Now I drink at the weekends only and I actually love it.

I love every aspect of my new lifestyle and I love the new “older” woman I am becoming. Even my husband, who is not observant, because he loves me anyway, noticed the change in me. He said "you look happy".

If you read all of this and you are new…go get friends, don’t hesitate…just start your journey and enjoy it. You will have a ball~!

I think I will stay here for a very long time :blushing:

Replies

• Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What a great inspiring story!! You're right, it's never too late to take care of yourself. Personally I would drink every day as well, just a glass of wine. But when I stopped, the weight just came off. Now I drink low fat chocolate milk every night instead of my glass of wine.

Good job with the quit smoking as well! I luckily never got into that habit, but I've watched my roommate go through the withdrawals and it doesn't look like fun. She gained a lot of weight as well when she was quitting.

I love MFP. I've tried it before and didn't' stick with it, but I think I'm sticking around this time because I'm losing the weight for myself, not anyone else. Here's to many more successful years at our new life styles!
  • HoosierBecky
    HoosierBecky Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds a lot like mine. I had lost about 60 pounds about 10 years ago using Weight Watchers. But even as I continued to go to meetings my weight would climb up a pound, down a half, up a pound until I gained a lot of it back. Then I quit smoking and turned 50 in the next year. While giving up smoking I too told myself that I could eat anything I wanted because giving up the cigs was a good thing and I could lose it later.

Fast forward to present day I find myself heavier than my original starting weight at WW. The fat is in places I never thought it could be. I joined MFP and just in the past six months have really committed to logging food, eating healthier and exercising. I'm making slow progress too but at least it's in the right direction.

One other thing I didn't have to deal with in the past was pain in my feet and joints. I like to exercise but sometimes my body wants to fight back.

Thanks for posting your story. It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only 50-something experiencing these things.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Your story could have been written by so many. So you young ones out there, pay attention or you are going to be writing your own story one day.
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    awesome I think that is great
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Now I drink low fat chocolate milk every night instead of my glass of wine.

I might have to try that! Wine makes me want to eat.
    Thanx for the idea
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I just turned 44 and am approaching menopause myself. I've been terrified that I'll gain even more weight when it starts. Your story has helped to alleviate some .... not all..... of that fear. I thank thee.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds a lot like mine. I had lost about 60 pounds about 10 years ago using Weight Watchers. But even as I continued to go to meetings my weight would climb up a pound, down a half, up a pound until I gained a lot of it back. Then I quit smoking and turned 50 in the next year. While giving up smoking I too told myself that I could eat anything I wanted because giving up the cigs was a good thing and I could lose it later.

Fast forward to present day I find myself heavier than my original starting weight at WW. The fat is in places I never thought it could be. I joined MFP and just in the past six months have really committed to logging food, eating healthier and exercising. I'm making slow progress too but at least it's in the right direction.

One other thing I didn't have to deal with in the past was pain in my feet and joints. I like to exercise but sometimes my body wants to fight back.

Thanks for posting your story. It makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only 50-something experiencing these things.

You're not alone.
    I walk several times a week, but I limp all day afterwards. I think I've tried every 'shoe fix' on the planet. My favorite exercises are low impact, since walking hurts so much. And I love to walk!! I never saw this coming when I was younger. I thought it would be my knees that would give out, not my feet.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Great story.

AS added info, the nicotine in the cigarettes is an appetite suppressant. Factor in the multiyear habit of the oral fixation and it's understandable why pretty much every person who quits smoking ends up gaining weight.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Awesome story. Congrats on your game plan and keep up the good work. :drinker:
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Your share meant a lot to me. I gained 90 pounds in the last 5 years. I got sick when I hit 45. I didn't even hit menopause before it all fell apart for me. Acceptance has taken me a long time and now I am ready to face this part of my journey. Like you, MFP has been a game changer. It is amazing to keep track and see progress.

All your changes are like mine, except in stead of wine everyday, I at sweets like there was no tomorrow. Lo and behold, I am not eating sugar. That is a miracle. I never ever thought I would see the day I didn't eat sugar. Here I am in my third week.

When we are ready, we're ready. :)

Congratulations on your well earned accomplishments!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!
  • pookiepotpie
    pookiepotpie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    let me just start by saying you are an inspiration..I starting reading your story and teared up..yep your story could be mine. a couple of years ago I lost 30 lbs by using MFP but sorry to say gained it all back and more. I felt gross and totally ugly..although my husband didn't say anything but I knew he was embarrassed to be with me out in public. I was depressed and totally disgusted with myself. then at the beginning of June this year, my wonderful husband decided to put a plan in motion for both of us and we joined a local gym and started eating 'right'. now I'm here everyday and losing the weight and inches..and have new wonderful friends to share the same goal with. Thank you for sharing:)
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the great start! I hear you on the belly fat--that was what inspired me to start, the "is she pregnant or just fat?" belly. Crazy what happens when the hormones start changing. I find that eating better not only helps with the weight, but helps with the mood swings as well. It's not perfect, but the perimenopausal roller coaster is less up and down, for which I am grateful.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! I'm so glad to be done with menopause! Still dealing with thyroid issues since 1/2 of my thyroid was removed last June (due to a tumor) and Synthroid dose still being tested. I couldn't make any progress without MFP! Having friends on MFP is what keeps me motivated. I quit drinking beer in January. I've only had 2 glass since then (when going out to lunch/dinner with family). Just a habit - I thought that's what I needed to get through the winter months! You're so awesome!
  • mamabearbartlett
    mamabearbartlett Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about the quitting smoking and wanting to eat because it all tasted so good. If it wasn't nailed down, I was eating it. :) Your story is an inspirational one and am glad I stopped to read it.
  • Fatsam59
    Fatsam59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This story is really me, thank you so much, you have made me start to think that small changes can make a difference :))
  • Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am just over the moon...the scale showed another 1.5 lbs gone today. I am very excited and I feel great.

A heartfelt "Thank you " to all of you for your kind replies. But some of you got it wrong, I am not an inspiration....you all are :-)

Low fat chocolate milk sounds heavenly...thanks for the tip!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Great story!!! You should be very proud of yourself!! Quitting smoking and weight loss can be tricky, but you have done it!! :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!