Can you effectively workout at home?

Options
Hello there! I am starting to explore working out at home but I feel like besides workout dvds I have no idea what I'm doing. I would love to hear all your advice and tips on working out at home. :)

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I dunno if my inputs going to help because it's basically the modern upgrade of dvds.... fitness apps.

I think you can definitely have an effective work out at home if you know what to do. So until that time, I'll stick with dvds and apps, though I am beginning to be able to remember the patterns and for some am able to do the workouts, or even sub in other moves which I feel would be better for me. I suppose once I have a good command of different moves and what part of my body they work out, I would be able to make up my own routines to keep my HR pumping and muscles going.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well if you have space and the money in addition to dvd's and app's get a piece of exercise equipment. My insurance re-imberces me $300 tward certain work out equiment. So I have a stationary bike and Jillian michaels total body gym or something like that. I use to have a tread mill. Also close the blinds turn on some music and dance for about 30 minutes or longer. What ever you chose best wishes to you hope you do well. :drinker:
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Buy some kettlebells and have at it!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Check out these resources
    Convict conditioning
    Nerd fitness
    Strength unbound
    Al Kavadlo
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Convict conditioning
    Nerd fitness
    Strength unbound
    Al Kavadlo

+1

I'm doing the Convict Conditioning program as we speak.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes you can....

I lift heavy 3x a week do HIIT and circuts at my house...walk outside and bike.

you would be surprised at how much room you don't need for a weigh lifting setup. You just need to be organized.

I have a squat rack/half power rack in the room, a bench with attachments, plates with foam padding where i need it.

Along with my pantry and 2 shelves full of my hobbies, a desk and a book shef, a coat rack and my wine fridge all in one room and it's a 10x14 in size.
  • Kristen_nicole95
    Kristen_nicole95 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out my journey, and i am saving my money for school so i can afford a gym membership. I don't know if it'll work yet but i am going to be doing activities that i enjoy doing. Kayaking, walking, biking, roller skating, and so on so forth. I am just going to be really good with my eatings. I guess the best advice i could give is do something you love!
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    When i first began, i used my wii fit ALOT. Then i bought rather cheaply, an exercise bike and went halves on a cross trainer. Started incorporating my DVDs and began walking and occasionally swimming. I've recently purchased a few dumbells and kettlebell etc. I haven't been to a gym once throughout my journey.
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home -- travel time can't be beat, and you can wear what you want -- :)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home and I've seen great results. I walk, do workout DVDs (love Jillian Michaels and Zumba) and also do Yoga.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yea! I have a gym membership but it's honestly too big of a pain to get there when I have a dog about to pee himself when I'm gone at work all day. So I work out at home during the week and sometimes go to the gym on weekends. I do a to of ftiness dvds because I need to be on a program or i'll just jump around like an idiot doing nothing. You might try zumba on xbox or wii, michael jackson: the experience on the wii, youtube, fitness blender, there are a ton of great things you can do. you can also get you a treadmill, a weight bench, or whatever, if you have the money. I have neither of those things. Yet. But I do a ton of circuit and resistance training.
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello! When I first started on this journey I walked two miles and did many different work out video's at home and lost about 75 lbs... so I say you can effectively work out at home... I don't have anything other than hand weights, dvd's (zumba, jillian Michaels 30 day shred, biggest loser yoga, and jillian Michael's kick box kick fast... I also see what the library has every once in a while) I like to have a variety cause I get bored easily :)
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was a member of a gym for years before a change in finances meant I could no longer afford it, and I stopped going a year ago.

Since then I've been doing Jillian Michaels DVD's, You Are Your Own Gym, and a fair emount of walking. I am definitely in much better shape now than I ever was going to the gym. So yes, you can definitely get great results working out at home! :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student - working on my MBA. So I have access to a pretty good campus fitness center. Not free, but paid for in my student fees! Anyhow, its not convenient for me to use it. Its 14 miles from home. Time there & back is time better spent doing other things as I also have a day job, a 2nd job and kids/husband/home to deal with.

I have a treadmill at home. Also a Gold's Gym weight station/apparatus - which I need to start using again. Some 5-8 pound weights, resistance bands and a few other things. Mostly my cardio is treadmill, mini-trampoline, or walking outside. I don't do enough with strength training - that's my worst area - but I can't see where using the campus fitness center would automatically fix that. I need to make it more of a priority, and form/keep a regular routine. Where isn't important.

I'm not big on videos - but that's just me.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yes you can....

I lift heavy 3x a week do HIIT and circuts at my house...walk outside and bike.

you would be surprised at how much room you don't need for a weigh lifting setup. You just need to be organized.

I have a squat rack/half power rack in the room, a bench with attachments, plates with foam padding where i need it.

Along with my pantry and 2 shelves full of my hobbies, a desk and a book shef, a coat rack and my wine fridge all in one room and it's a 10x14 in size.

I've been meaning to ask what equipment I should start with! Can you post a pic of your setup?
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Absolutely

Cardio stuff, try Insanity
    Wanna be a juice monkey, check out Body Beast
    A bit of everything? P90X has you covered!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Convict conditioning
    Nerd fitness
    Strength unbound
    Al Kavadlo

+1

I'm doing the Convict Conditioning program as we speak.

This. Also check out 'you are your own gym.'
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Yes!

I have two small kids so I have to do everything at home. I do all Jillian Micheals stuff.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight at home...walking, jogging, biking and doing the '30 day shred' dvd.
    I was just thinking that I need more strengthening exercises, so I'm looking at buying weights of some sort.
  • mami3oh
    mami3oh Posts: 105
    Options
    I have three children, attend school part time and work full time, which = NO time to go to the gym. I do a lot of pilates/yoga, walk (a lot) and jump on the trampoline with my children (it is hard work!).

I have been able to get pretty fit by doing these simple routines, along with healthy food options. I do want to add more to my routine soon though (not sure what exactly).