Confused and Scared

Options
I went to the doctors 1 month ago and was told I am at my weight goal 170. Off of my diabetese meds and was never on BP meds thank God. HE told me that I can play with 165 to 175. 2 weeks ago when I went for a weigh in I was 164. NOt worried about that, but I was told because of the way I am exercising I need to eat more. That is what scares me. I don't want to eat more. I don't want to gain the weight back. I know that I am at the perfet weight but I can't get out of my head that eating means gaining. I run/walk 7 days a week and I strength train 3 days a week. Can anyone help ease my mind. Really worried. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what amount of calories are you on? Do you work and if so what kind of job?
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would cut your cardio to 3 days a week and increase your weight training to 4 days a week, this should offset the calories spent and lean more towards increasing lean body mass instead of possibly cutting it.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    what rate were you losing at?

add back 3500 calories per pound/wk, either by eating more or walking less.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You may want to discuss how you feel about eating more with your doctor.

If you want to maintain your weight then you need to find what your maintenance calories are. Which means eating more.

You could start off slow, add 100 calories more this week, then next week add 100 more than that, etc. Build it slowly so you can find your maintenance level. You may see a slight increase at first, but if your MD says to weight between 165-175, 1-2 lbs isn't bad.

Also, maybe stop weighing yourself except for like 1x a month or less.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating daily?
    You need to find your maintenance calories, but you can start by just adding on 100 calories and go up slowly
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you are eating, but if you have to increase, do it slowly. Find your maintenance level and slowly increase to there. If you find that you gain weight even after slowly increasing, decrease them a little. Don't be scared of gaining a couple of pounds trying to find where your maintenance level is. You can always lose them again. Weight gain isn't permanent.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Since your doctor is the one who set those goals for you, you should be speaking to him about it, not a bunch of internet strangers who know nothing about your health history or why he set those goals.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - you should talk to your doctor about how you feel.

Food and eating are a healthy part of everyone's life. They shouldn't be something you're afraid of. They are just as important as exercise in staying healthy.
  • momof41964
    Options
    This morning according to the food log I am in the -3 calories from what I have eaten and the excerise I did this morning. I have an office job so most of the day is spent in my chair. That is a good idea about cardio versus strenth. I think I will try that. Thanks for all the feed back.
  • momof41964
    Options
    I eat about 1000 calories a day
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1000 calories a day

Eat more food.

Find out what your TDEE is.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Try adding 100 calories a week, to build up to find maintenance. You don't want to continue eating that low.