Water Weight

Options
Hey everyone!

I was just thinking about what I could be doing in order to increase my chances of weight loss and I was thinking about water, obviously (see title above).

On any given day I can drink anywhere from 10 to 19 or even 21 cups of water all spread out through the day. Now, obviously I know drinking more water is very good for you, but I was wondering if anyone else thinks I could possibly be retaining a lot of water weight even though I don't usually consume much sodium. I do pee A LOT (sorry if tmi, haha) but it's still just a thought in the back of my mind as I watch my body fail to drop these pounds.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Water weight is part of normal body fluctuations. Keep your body hydrated and the water weight will go away over a few days. Unless it is causing health issues then don't worry about it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Drinking water doesn't make you retain water weight, quite the opposite. You drink water to flush water weight.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    1. Don't reduce water intake.
    2. If your sodium is at or below your the recommended daily value then don't worry about it.
    3. Creatine retains water(to aid in muscle synthesis). It is often found in protein supplements and pre-workout drinks.
    4. If you drink coffee or drinks with caffeine regularly there is a good possibility that your body has adapted to its diuretic effect by retaining more water.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water every day, too and my weight doesn't drop either. I have never correlated these 2 though....I always thought I must be eating too much...although the food barely keeps me going...but must be more food than needed for weight loss...
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    albayin, people keep telling me to eat more and then I'll lose weight, but I find that very hard to believe due to my past experiences. I've never had so much trouble losing weight before. It used to just fall right off if I actually tried. The problem was always lack of trying and/or sticking with my plan
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    albayin, people keep telling me to eat more and then I'll lose weight, but I find that very hard to believe due to my past experiences. I've never had so much trouble losing weight before. It used to just fall right off if I actually tried. The problem was always lack of trying and/or sticking with my plan

yes, I hear you...I dont know any science to back this up, but that's my experience too.
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    i agree with the person who said drinking water does the opposite, it flushes sodium and toxins out of your body and help you lose weight
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    OP, have you considered eating less processed food and adding lots of fresh veggies, healthy fats, lean meats fish and poultry, nuts and legumes?
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    i agree with the person who said drinking water does the opposite, it flushes sodium and toxins out of your body and help you lose weight

Oh I know it does, but I was just thinking about it. I was never intending to cut my water intake, I don't think that'd be possible, especially on days I work out.
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    My diet is usually a mix of fresh fruit and veggies and such, but I've run out of money until next paycheck so I was left with my quick snacks pretty much. These are usually what I bring to work to avoid eating the food there as they're lower calorie and keep me feeling fuller longer. Also, I don't really have a fridge to keep my fruits and veggies. It's too full of the nasty junk the rest of my household eats. They kind of mock me for eating healthy
  • rmb040
    rmb040 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    1) Drink A LOT of water. More water than you think you need. Never be thirsty. Additionally, Don't chug it - sip it throughout the day.
    2) Consume Potassium - no not in the form of supplements. Foods that are naturally high in potassium are avocadoes, bananas, and coconut water. I can't recommend coconut water enough.
    3) Drink pure cranberry juice.
    4) Drink Green Tea
    5) Drink Coffee (caffeine is a natural diuretic)
    5) Try to refrain from carbohydrates and high sodium foods. This includes a lot of meats which you may not realize are high in sodium. Try to consume a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Before an event, this has been a foolproof method for me :) Let me know if you have any questions.
  • rmb040
    Options
    Bananas are one of the cheapest foods you can buy :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1) Drink A LOT of water. More water than you think you need. Never be thirsty. Additionally, Don't chug it - sip it throughout the day.
    2) Consume Potassium - no not in the form of supplements. Foods that are naturally high in potassium are avocadoes, bananas, and coconut water. I can't recommend coconut water enough.
    3) Drink pure cranberry juice.
    4) Drink Green Tea
    5) Drink Coffee (caffeine is a natural diuretic)
    5) Try to refrain from carbohydrates and high sodium foods. This includes a lot of meats which you may not realize are high in sodium. Try to consume a lot of fruits and vegetables.

Before an event, this has been a foolproof method for me :) Let me know if you have any questions.
    Why refrain from carbohydrates, and how does one do so while consuming lots of fruits and vegetables, since fruits and vegetables are carbohydrates?

Why so much liquid? The '8 cups a day' thing was a descriptive, rather than prescriptive, study of overall fluid intake from the 1940's, which included the liquid in foods as well as drinks besides 'pure' H2O.

What's wrong with supplements, exactly?
  • rmb040
    Options
    Allow me to clarify - avoid REFINED carbohydrates.
    Our bodies more readily absorb nutrients from food itself as opposed to man-made nutrients which are highly concentrated. Supplements are expensive, and in actuality our bodies are not able to use them in the form they are in, and we end up merely peeing them out.
    The OP can drink however much she likes, I was merely stating different types of drinks (not amounts per say) which I have found to help with water weight due to their naturally diuretic qualities, high potassium content, and antioxidents,polyphenols, and flavonoids content in green tea particularly. Contrary to what it may seem, it is important to keep hydrated in order to prevent water retention.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Supplements are expensive, and in actuality our bodies are not able to use them in the form they are in, and we end up merely peeing them out.
    That's a bit overgeneralized and oversimplified, isn't it?
  • rmb040
    Options
    Supplements are expensive, and in actuality our bodies are not able to use them in the form they are in, and we end up merely peeing them out.
    That's a bit overgeneralized and oversimplified, isn't it?

Yes, it is. I'm sure supplements work fine for many people in certain cases. But for the OP who is asking about water retention, In my experience you are better off with natural diuretics e.g. coffee, drinking liquids, and real food, as opposed to consuming a handful of pills.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    Our bodies more readily absorb nutrients from food itself as opposed to man-made nutrients which are highly concentrated. Supplements are expensive, and in actuality our bodies are not able to use them in the form they are in, and we end up merely peeing them out.
    The OP can drink however much she likes, I was merely stating different types of drinks (not amounts per say) which I have found to help with water weight due to their naturally diuretic qualities, high potassium content, and antioxidents,polyphenols, and flavonoids content in green tea particularly. Contrary to what it may seem, it is important to keep hydrated in order to prevent water retention.
    What's wrong with refined carbohydrates in a caloric deficit?
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Sheesh. Come on. She was giving the OP her own advice. If your advice differs from hers, state your own advice and move on. You have only argued with what one poster suggested.

OP-you're water intake looks spot on to me. Being a woman, our weight fluctuations and water retention just changes so, so much. Hang in there!
  • Erilynn93
    Options
    Bananas are one of the cheapest foods you can buy :)

Yes, bananas are usually the one fruit I ALWAYS have at home haha. I just don't right now, just got paid though so going to the grocery store asap! :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

Sheesh. Come on. She was giving the OP her own advice. If your advice differs from hers, state your own advice and move on. You have only argued with what one poster suggested.
    I have stated my own advice. I am saddened that you're not able to read my responses as doing so.