Getting frustrated....need advice

Options
I am getting so frustrated I want to quit. I have been at this for awhile and am very careful to weigh and measure. My weight is going up instead of down or just plateaus and doesn't move. I am up about 6 lbs since my last recorded weight which was back in May. My calories are set at 1340 based on MFP profile. I try to get in cardio at least 3 times a week and am trying to work in more strength but due to injuries need to go slowly. Most of my cardio is the eliptical or bike riding. I find the treadmill is harder on my injuries but to try to mix it up. There has been no movement in inches lost either. I am trying to decrease carbs and increase protein. Due to food allergies and sensitivities eggs are out and I don't like cottage cheese. I am 52 years old, 5' 2". When I started I was at 174 lbs and was so excited when I got down to 164. Then I seemed to plateau and stayed around 166. It has slowly been creeping back up. I've been sitting at 170 for the last several days. I eat back some of my exercise calories on most days. My diary is open so any POSITIVE advise would be great. It was years of negative comments that has lead me to where I am and I want to loose the weight but am getting frustrated. I tried Weight Watchers a few years ago too and couldn't budge the weight so I gave up on that.

Am I eating too many calories or too few? Going away for 2 1/2 weeks next week and very worried that I'm going to gain even more as it will be more difficult to track.

Replies

• cindagrif
    cindagrif Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?? I have upped my water intake and that helped.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using proper entries from the database. On Tuesday, lunch, 5 oz chicken breast could not possibly be 47 calories. There were several days not logged - consistency is important.

Other than that - there could be an error in calories burned. What do you have your activity level set at here? If 'active' for example, and you're not moving much during the day due to your injuries, then MFP could be assuming you are burning more than you actually are.
  • melissamccarron1
    melissamccarron1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    are you eating 5-6 small meals per day? protein the size and thickness of your palm and carb the size of your fist? Drinking water with every meal? These changes have helped me drop some lbs. Hope this is helpful?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're not using a food scale and probably underestimating your calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more than you think... Are you sure you're only using 1 tsp of creamer in your coffee? Are you weighing everything you eat and using the correct entries in the database?
  • kathyr_1961
    kathyr_1961 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 6 glasses a day and am trying to up it but I have a hard time getting in 6 sometimes. Thank you
  • kathyr_1961
    Options
    I have my activity level set at slightly active as I am moving most of the day. I use a food scale and measuring spoons for all my food. I thought I was being fairly accurate with the entries from the data base. I compare the info on the labels to the data base before I enter. If I can' t find it I will enter my own. Will try to watch more closely with some entries. The couple of days not logged I was away with no internet access so was not able to log. I am slowly trying to increase water as well but find it difficult. I usually eat 3 meals a day with a couple of snacks in between. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will keep pushing along as I want to drop the weight but have always struggled with it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You've entered broccoli and other solid stuff as cups, not as a weight. That's why it looks like you aren't using a scale.
  • kathyr_1961
    Options
    That one was a guess as it was our anniversary dinner out. I use a scale and measuring spoons 95% of the time.
  • awesome_ani
    Options
    There are a lot of things that could cause a plateau. One of the biggest things is a change in body competition. For example: If you have a lot of lean muscle mass regardless of body fat your calories may not be were they should be. They could be either too high (if you are not doing a lot of strenuous exercise) or too low (if you are doing a bunch of exercise). This can create a situation where you are not actually eating at a caloric deficit, which means no weight loss, or you are eating at too big of a deficit which means no weight loss. A popular phrase in my house these days is "Don't feed the fat." In simplest terms, it just means you want to feed your muscle and not the fat, so if you are basing your caloric intake (and thus your caloric deficit for weight loss) on your total, hop on the scale body weight there will be a point where you will plateau. Especially as your fat to muscle ratio changes.

My recommendation: look around on the internet for info about how to estimate your lean muscle mass and then calculate your calories based on that along with a lifestyle factor (sedentary, light movement, moderate movement, etc.). And then calculate your caloric deficit in accordance with your attainable goal. Once you have fine tuned your calories make sure you are measuring properly, eating enough protein and fat without going overboard on carbs. Doing this should knock you off of your plateau.

Also, if you have any medical issues (swelling, sleep apnea, diabetes, asthma, etc...) that are not under control or are untreated those can wreak havoc with weight loss efforts. Make sure you are taking care of those things if you have any of them.

Good Tenacity!
    Ani