Exercise and anxiety.

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I struggle with anxiety a lot. I'd like to go to a gym but the idea is too daunting.

Ironically, working out is what helps me alleviate my anxiety. Just find what your comfort zone is with going and then slowly build from there. Starting out with the BF sounds good.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I suffer from social anxiety disorder and I know how you feel.. there is NO WAY I would go to a gym, especially alone. I walk at home in my neighborhood and I have free weights at home. If I ever get to the point where I can jog I'm going to do it very late at night or earlier in the morning when it is still dark.

Check into Snap fitness and similar 'latch-key' gyms.
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety and the first time I went to the gym I sat in the changing room for about 15 minutes trying to get myself together and I nearly went home straight away again!

My advice would be to go when it's not very busy which is what I tend to do, if you're worried about people watching you/judging you then don't!
    No-one really pays attention to anyone else, everyone is there for their own workout!
  • randomthings
    randomthings Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its a general anxiety. I struggle leaving the house to do anything alone.

In the past I enjoyed going to Zumba with my sister but she moved away and I have no one else I could go with. The issue with my boyfriend coming along is finding time when he's not at work and my mum is available to babysit for us.

Thanks for all the tips and advice though everyone. I appreciate it.

Been there, so I definitely know exactly how you feel. While you work to get your anxiety more under control I would suggest trying to work out at home. This may sound counter-intuitive, but address your anxiety first, then address going to a gym. If every time you go to the gym you are overwhelmed with anxiety not only will your workout be poor but you may begin having additional anxiety about feeling anxious. It's a vicious cycle and it will need to be broken.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    The only way to overcome your anxiety and fear of leaving the house alone is to just do it. You don't want to become an agoraphobic at such a young age.

Start by going for walks in your neighborhood. Take someone with you the first couple times and then go by yourself. Then work your way up to going to the gym. Again, take someone with you the first couple times. When you feel comfortable, go by yourself. Even if you are only there for 10 or 20 minutes. The most important thing is that you STAY no matter how much anxiety you are experiencing. When you flee, you are teaching your body that it is unsafe (fight or flight response) which it is not. Is it uncomfortable? Yes. Is it scary? Yes. Can you do it? Absolutely.

Look into CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It's basically exposing you to your fears. It has helped me get my life back after suffering from severe generalized anxiety and panic disorder.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I struggle with anxiety a lot. I'd like to go to a gym but the idea is too daunting. I've only exercised using the Wii in my own home in recent years.

My boyfriend has offered to go with me the first few times so I can feel more comfortable about going alone but I still feel panicked by the idea.

Any tips on how I can exercise comfortably or find a way to go to the gym with confidence?

^initially what helped me get into the gym was my doctor saying I had to due to my over analyzing everything - it lead to a constant state of anxiety.

The gym will greatly increase your confidence while simultaneously decreasing your anxiety.

I won't say don't worry about not being anxious your first time there - I was, and I was for the first few times as well. I will say, everyone there knows they started sometime themselves, and they are all typically really nice guys like me who would assist and provide input if you inquire about how to use something - but overall we are super zoned out with our heads in outer-space worried only about getting that bar up again.

GL :flowerforyou:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The only way to overcome your anxiety and fear of leaving the house alone is to just do it. You don't want to become an agoraphobic at such a young age.

Start by going for walks in your neighborhood. Take someone with you the first couple times and then go by yourself. Then work your way up to going to the gym. Again, take someone with you the first couple times. When you feel comfortable, go by yourself. Even if you are only there for 10 or 20 minutes. The most important thing is that you STAY no matter how much anxiety you are experiencing. When you flee, you are teaching your body that it is unsafe (fight or flight response) which it is not. Is it uncomfortable? Yes. Is it scary? Yes. Can you do it? Absolutely.

Look into CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It's basically exposing you to your fears. It has helped me get my life back after suffering from severe generalized anxiety and panic disorder.

^this was a terrific post. :drinker:
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I suggest swimming and wearing headphones if you do any of the cardio/strength machines, or you can workout in your apartment or outdoors. I've suffered from anxiety/depression and most people aren't concerned wit you. You should be able to do what activities you wasn't without worrying about someone else. Maybe someday you might like the group fitness classes if you find the people and staff friendly.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've seen doctors for generalized anxiety and taken my teen (as recently as last week). They always recommend CBT. We have a lot of good books of CBT exercises. It's the best treatment I've found.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with depression and anxiety. I understand the frustration you feel when it interferes with your ability to function.

Do you have other family or friends who workout at a gym or would be willing to go? Maybe you could get together with them when your boyfriend has to work. Another option would be to find a social support group that can help you set goals to overcome your anxiety.