Chronic Pain and Exercise

I have severe adehsions in my stomach that wraps down to my hips. They've gotten really bad in the past year making movement almost unbearable. I decided that I'm going to run again regardless, but then I get horrible pain flare ups. How does one motivate oneself knowing the pain is going to multiply? Also what are some good low impact routines that are neither walking, swimming, or elliptical? I do have free weights...

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    How about yoga?
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    How about yoga?

I think that *could* work. At least the basic stuff maybe. I used to do palates, I totally forgot that was an option, ha.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Both my hips need to be replaced Thanks to a car accident I had years ago... so i know a thing or two about chronic pain.

I stretch 3 times a day just so I don't aggravate my symptoms. This has really helped my and i no fear getting hurt while working out
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    I have a stupid %$#@ right upper quadrant pain that limits me, too. :grumble: I can walk a bit but I will end up paying for it. But my stationary bike is kind to me. :bigsmile:
  • qmmanager69
    qmmanager69 Posts: 71 Member
    Rheumatoid arthritis here that randomly attacks every joint in my body at any given moment. I know you said no swimming, but what about water walking and/or just treading water. That's how I got started initially and it really helped loosen things up so I could eventually move on to other exercises that I never would have dreamed of.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    You could try strengthening your back muscles with free weights. If the issue is a muscle imbalance in the anterior side of your body, focusing on the back may help take some of the pressure off. Have you seen a massage therapist? They may also be able to help reduce the adhesions and get you back into proper alignment.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I said no swimming because movement in water tends to aggrivate things. I think it's because I can move more in the water than on land so I don't know when I'm over doing it. I'll try the massage therapist thing. My pain managment doc had sent me to physical therapy for that exact reason but then the physical therapist did water therapy instead which made things worse.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    What about the hula hoop ... In addition to waist hooping, you can use mini hoops to exercise your arms. It is low impact and fun. Waist hooping strengthens your core muscles.