Sugar and sodium intake

Options
Hi,

I am currently aiming to loose about 1.5 lbs per week, and I average around 1.3 lbs per week.

I figure part of the reason about the difference is probably in the measuring for food sizes (I dont use cups and scales), and around estimating calorie expenditure (I dont use a fitbit or bodymedia type device). So I am tempted to think the difference comes from poor estimates, but I also wondering if there are other confounding factors, like salt and sugar intake.

I find that while I keep in my calories and keep up the the regular exercise I regularly blow my RDI's for sugar and sodium. For example, double the RDI for sugar is not too hard to do while staying inside my calories.

Is there anyone out there that has much experience around working with sugar and sodium levels. Did you find making changes in this area make a big difference to your weight loss?

How drastic did you have to be with sugar before you saw the difference? Was just getting your sugar levels within the RDI all that is required to see a difference or did you have to get all Atkins / Sugar Busters on yourself and do a radical cut of carbs before you saw the difference?

Also how do you stop yourself from getting massively grumpy from being low on sugar?

thanks for your thoughts

regards, Caprica

Replies

• hmlayman
    Options
    Sugar.... not too much to be terribly worried about, especially if it is coming from good sources. Usually just one piece of fruit and I am over the amount I'm supposed to have, needless to say I'm over EVERYDAY. Now, sodium makes a HUGE difference for sure! The American Heart Association suggests the MAX we should consume is 2,400 mg and mfp is already added a 100 to that The least we need is 500 so I would try and keep it as low as possible without going under 500 of course and see what kind of difference that makes. It's very important not to get too much sodium as it effects your weight loss significantly (negative) It will make you retain you water and retain your weight. Sugar, not so much! But there are exceptions with sugar. there is no GOOD SODIUM
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i definitely need to limit my sodium intake or i blow up like a balloon and hold onto tons of water. i try to keep it around 1500 mg a day. sugar, i find that it doesn't seem to effect me as much.