What are your substitues?

Options
I have found that it is easier to substitute certain items in my diet easier than changing my whole eating routine. I've listed some of mine, but I'm interested to see what others are

Eggs > Egg Beaters (20 cal per 3 tbsp or the equivalent to an egg and the southwestern style is awesome)
Cream and Sugar Coffee > Sugar Free Creamer (15 Cal per tbsp and taste the same to me)
Butter and Syrup > Lite Cool Whip (omg, my pancakes and waffles are actually better now that I'm using 20 Cal per 2 tbsp Cool whip!
Pork Sausage > Turkey Sausage (The Jimmy Dean turkey sausage rounds are 100 cal for two of them!)
Ketchup and Mayo > Lite Olive Oil Mayo. (Still high in cal, but not too bad)
Noodles > Asparagus or Sliced Squash (I actually enjoy the veggies more than noodles in my spagetti now. Loads more flavor)
Chips > Cherrios (100 for a cup. This is really only for late night snacks. I don't get cherrios and hot dogs.)
Full Sugar Ice Cream > Fudge Pops, Creamsciles

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Used to Eat...Now Usually Eat (instead)

coffee w/ aspartame & flavored creamer...coffee w/ unsweetened almond milk
    Greek yogurt w/ fruit on the bottom...nonfat plain Greek yogurt with my own fruit mixed in
    Starbucks tall or grande mocha frappucino drink...1/2 cup of Braum's cappuccino chunky chocolate frozen yogurt
    maple syrup...Cary's sugar free syrup (SO GOOD!)
    frozen burrito topped with Spanish rice & black olives...frozen burrito topped with lettuce & pico de gallo
    Snickers bar...1-2 squares of quality dark chocolate
    mayonnaise on sandwiches...spicy mustard on sandwiches

Honestly though, a lot of my "substitutes" are not products but just a different style of meal preparation or new recipes entirely. For example, when I used to make quesadillas I would use 4+ tortillas and a bunch of cheese...now I use 1-2 tortillas and a little cheese and tons of sautéed veggies. And breakfast used to be a boring affair with cereal, milk, juice...now I am more satisfied with egg tacos, omelets, and so on.
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Marked
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Chocolates, cake, cookies, ice cream, and candy: Fruits, including dried fruits like raisins.

Chips: salted cashews or peanuts and seeds

Meat eggs milk and fish: Veggies, beans, and seeds (this one is for ethical reasons)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't sub in low fat or sugar free items very often, but I will use nonfat plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, and someone on my friends list recommended Kraft Light Chipotle Mayo...gave it a try and YUM!
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't sub in low fat or sugar free items very often, but I will use nonfat plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, and someone on my friends list recommended Kraft Light Chipotle Mayo...gave it a try and YUM!

sounds delicious! I will have to give it a try.

Thought of more as well:

Sandwich Bread > lettece
    Taco Shells > Bell Peppers
    Mashed Potaotes and/or rice > Cauliflower. (stolen a few recipes from those low carbers. They are really freaking good!)
    Cake/Brownies > Kellogs Fiber One 90 calories item. (Maybe i suck of portioning cake and these don't count, but they're freaking awesome and individually packaged. lol)
    Hot Dogs > Turkey Brats
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Crackers > Cucumbers. Doesn't really work with cheese and crackers, but tuna on top of cucumber is awesome!
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Switched from skim milk to unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
    Switched from hamburger buns to lettuce.
    Switched from bread to low carb wraps.
    Switched from sugary flavored yogurt to plain.
    Switched from peanut butter to almond butter.
    Stopped putting sugar in my coffee.
    Switched from beer to red wine.
    Switched from crackers to parmesan crackers.