Salad ideas!!!

Options
So I need to start making up some salad boxes...now I hate most salads....but i need to eat light and avoid high carb foods...so any ideas as to what I can put in my salad boxes??? I don't live near a health store (just my local sainsbury's and co-op) so I am really looking for low fat/cal/carb combinations that are preferably under 250 cals???

I was thinking along the lines of chicken, sweetcorn, a bit of brown rice, green veg etc.

help me!!!!

Cheers :)

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My salads change up a lot based on what I feel like putting in them, here are some ideas:

Roamine heart lettuce, mandarin oranges, chopped walnuts with poppyseed dressing.

Mixed green lettuce and spinach, berrries( Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries), green grapes seedless, mango, chopped walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, with a strawberry or raspberry vinegarette

Romaine, mixed green or butter leaf lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatos, red & yellow bell peppers, shredded carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, musroom caps, with goddess dressing (any dressing would work with this). Sometimes I add a hard boiled egg or chicken to this
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    check out my food diary, I typically have salads for lunch on weekdays.
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    and you can mix any meat u like or veggy toppings just watch the amounts. nuts, bacon bits, YES BACON!!!

I really like the taste of those sweet banana pepper rings too. canned beats are also good.
  • lindsayomalley
    lindsayomalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Reduced Sugar Oceanspray craisins are great!
  • HLSoriano
    HLSoriano Posts: 19
    Options
    My salad for this week is:

Romaine
    Green peppers
    Cucumbers
    Cherry tomatoes
    Craisins
    Apple chips
    5 oz chicken breast
    Light blue cheese dressing

It's been really tasty!
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I get Chicken of the Sea salmon (in the bag) when I get tired of adding chicken to my salads. Yum!
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Spring Mix
    Can of Albacore tuna (drained)
    green beans
    boiled egg
    a few croutons for crunch
    Rustic Italian Dressing
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad every night for dinner! There are so many options! I lately have been loving the roasted salads which consist of a bed of crunchy romaine / roasted summer veggies on top ex: summer squash / zucchini / tomatoes / asparagus!

You can also make healthy croutons using the lower carb. 100% whole wheat 35 calorie bread!

Also you can go for fruit salads with soft baby lettuces like spinach with vinaigrette. On these I usually use vegetarian "chicken" grapes, cherries, walnuts, pears, or apples!
  • valleemic
    valleemic Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I ate so many garden salads with light Italian dressing for months!! If I eat another one, I think I'll quit eating healthy all together! LOL! So, here are 3 yummy different salads to try:

Salad #1
    -Kale
    -Cabbage
    -Chicory
    -Dried cranberries
    -Roasted pumpkin seeds
    -Poppyseed dressing
    -Grilled chicken pieces

Salad #2
    -Kale
    -Baby spinach
    -Bean Sprouts
    -Brussels Sprouts (shredded)
    -Sunflower seeds
    -Raisins
    -Hard boiled egg
    -Lemon garlic dressing

Salad #3
    -Mixed field greens (Costco)
    -Apples
    -Roasted coconut flakes
    -Dried cranberries
    -Shrimp
    -Feta Greek salad dressing
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow, my salads are so boring, will have to try some of these.

mine: chicken breast fajitas (frozen, just nuke to defrost)
    mixed salad greens
    cherry tomatoes
    cucumbers
    red bell pepper
    black olives
    feta cheese
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple with just romaine and cucumber. sometimes I bring celery/carrot sticks with some hummus if I don't cut them up and add to the salad. Another huge help is SALSA! I add it on top in place of dressing and it also serves as your tomato, onion, & pepper. Hope this helps.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird, but I like to add sweet fruit to my salads (grapes, raisins, canned or fresh tangerines)....
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Spinach strawberries sweet peppers or regular green yellow orange peppers some chicken
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Red lettuce, cucumbers,artichoke hearts, tomatoes, carrots, crumbled bacon,shredded rotisserie chicken, almond slivers, topped with lemon juice and olive oil.

I love all these yummy sounding ideas!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The usual suspects in mine are edamame, tuna, soy nuts, chicken breast, any veggie (cherry tomatoes are a fave), sun flower seeds, pumpkin seeds...it varies :)
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Recently I had one (thanks to some suggestions on another post from some lovely people) with:

Spinach
    Beetroot
    Apple
    Feta
    Walnuts
    Red onion

It was really nice and the apple didn't make it too sweet.

There's a craze on-line at the moment for 'bento boxes' - basically it's originally a japanese thing consisting of a lunchbox containing some smaller compartments to make a nice lunch. Some of them are crazy with animal themed presentation, but a lot of them are simple and easy to do - try searching 'salad bento', 'simple salad bento', 'low-carb salad bento' or whatever on pinterest and you should get some ideas.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad has:

Romaine lettuce
    Plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
    Salsa or pico de gallo
    Reduced fat cheddar jack cheese
    Some form of meat/beans for protein (optional)

For meats you can use lower sodium turkey bacon bits (the real kind, not with artificial flavorings). You can also cook a chicken breast and slice it up. Or just a spribnkle of some rinsed black beans. But my favorite option is to get a Morning Star spicy black bean burger and slice it up and spread it on top of the salad.

Plain Greek yogurt tastes pretty much like sour cream, but with fewer calories and fat as well as tons of protein and healthy probiotics for digestion. You can use jarred salsa as long as you pick a good tasting brand. Personally I like Herdez salsa casera medium, no preservatives and short ingredient list. However if you're watching your sodium, you could also make fresh pico de gallo so you can control the amount of salt put in it. Pico de gallo is the raw version of salsa basically and it tastes fresher and lighter.

The combination between the yogurt and the salsa tastes so amazingggg to me. Just remember that if you take a salad with things like yogurt or dressing or salsa, be sure to keep it separated from the lettuce and veggies to avoid having it get soggy before lunchtime. You should be able to find small little containers that seal shut tightly to carry condiments and dressings in. Or salad lunch bowls with built in dressing spaces.
  • chefstew79
    chefstew79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1. Arugula With Lemon Vinaigrette (i.e. Lemon Juice, Hazelnut Oil, Salt & Pepper) and Herbed Goat Cheese (i.e. Fresh Herbs, Montreal Steak Seasoning, Goat Cheese)

2. Spinach Leaves, Sliced Hard Boiled Egg, Chicken & Swiss with Cinnamon Vinaigrette (Cinnamon, Hazelnut Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Salt & Pepper)

3. Salmon (or Tuna) Caesar: Romaine Lettuce, Dressing (Lemon Juice, Worcestershire Sauce, Olive Oil, Garlic, Parmesan Cheese), Tuna or Salmon

4. Spring Mix, Pears, Crumbled Blue Cheese & Cranberry Vinaigrette (Canned Cranberry, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Try putting a nut/seed, cheese, dried fruit, meat/egg, veg combo on every plate of greens. If you keep a variety of nuts, dried fruits, cheese and precooked bacon/frozen edamame on hand you can rotate in the perishable fresh seasonal veg. Boiled grains like Kamut, bulgar, quinoa and millet also easy additions with excellent shelf life.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump