My Very First Rant

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
I have Gout. Have it pretty much under control with diet, but I still get flare ups occasionally. If you've never experienced it, trust me, it's intense.

I have a prescription for these flare ups, but they only give me 6 tabs per prescription. Take two a day and the flare up lasts 4 to 5 days. Go ahead. Do the math.

Sent an email to my Doctor on Monday. Asked if he could change the prescription to a larger quantity.

It's been 4 days. I've sent 3 emails to my Doctor. 1 email to advice Nurse. 2 to the Pharmacy. This is in addition to 2 Telephone conversations with an advice nurse and, finally, a real live pharmacist on the phone today.

It's been 4 days, but I should probably receive my prescription by tomorrow. At which time, of course, my inflammation will have passed. It has already significantly decreased.

Glad I could share that. I feel better already.

Replies

• Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    You and I have interacted on here before.

I would change doctors, which I have done before. I also realize that this may not be a choice for you.

I consider my time just as important as the doctors. NO one is going to take better care of you then you.

I would explain to him that I am not satisfied with the treatment I am getting from him and switch.

I do NOT put up with poor care from anyone in the medical proffession period.

I know know 6this may have been a rant but it has some serious affects on you.

Dean
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Dean here....
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I hate fighting with doctors to get meds. I just went through this this whole past week. I ran out of medication this weekend- My insurance company randomly wanted a prior authorization to fill it. No biggie, I still had 3 weeks of meds worth. Doctor sat on it for 3.5 weeks and I ended up getting really sick throughout the weekend because I ran out; he KNEW I was running out this weekend. After missing work, fighting with the insurance company, the express scripts people, the pharmacy, and the doctor's office, I finally got it filled. But mannnn what a cluster. I was not thrilled. AT ALL. I feel your pain. I hope your flare up goes down sooner or later.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    maybe stop drinking so you dont get flare ups.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Dean's advice is great in theory. The problem is, those of us with no or poor medical insurance, are very limited when it comes to the care we can afford. If I had to switch doctors right now (as a for instance) I would have to pay a 'consultation fee' (about twice to three times the amount of a normal office visit). Since I don't have that luxury right now, I am stuck with the doctors I currently have.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    This happens to people with all kinds of pain.

My advice to you would keep a stock pile of them.

Fake a flare up at a random time if you have too.

I know that sounds terrible, but just justify it in your mind as socking up for an emergency, which is totally flipping legit.

Just don't take them for fun later on so they are actually there when you need them next.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    It's Kaiser. I didn't feel like I was battling with them, it's just that they are so big that commun ication breaks down between departments.

@AsThorsWoman. I will stockpile them from here on.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options

Dean's advice is great in theory. The problem is, those of us with no or poor medical insurance, are very limited when it comes to the care we can afford. If I had to switch doctors right now (as a for instance) I would have to pay a 'consultation fee' (about twice to three times the amount of a normal office visit). Since I don't have that luxury right now, I am stuck with the doctors I currently have.

Actually agree with you.....

But you can complain to the insurance company. Which again may not be worth the trouble.

I do have a great network as of provider that most do not have acces to.

Asa also gave some great advice ... stock up.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've heard that apple cider vinegar helps with gout (and many other ailments). It might be worth a try until you get your medication figured out. Best of luck to you!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

My advice to you would keep a stock pile of them.

Fake a flare up at a random time if you have too.

I know that sounds terrible, but just justify it in your mind as socking up for an emergency, which is totally flipping legit.

Just don't take them for fun later on so they are actually there when you need them next.

Indeed!..before we had decent medical coverage, we used to hoard pain meds, antibiotics etc.
    It helped that I worked at an animal hospital though, a good deal of the same meds prescribed for pets are the same ones used for people. The only difference is the dosage & SOME have been discontinued for human use :laugh: So you kinda had to know what you were doing :blushing: man, being cash-poor sucks.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    At least you can put the extras away for the next flare up. And ask for extras next time as well!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Go to the VA.
    They have absolutly no problem filling perscriptions as much (and sometime too much) as needed.
    A year after my knee surgery, they were still sending me Oxy.
    I probably have 20 bottles stashed away.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Go to the VA.
    They have absolutly no problem filling perscriptions as much (and sometime too much) as needed.

I'm glad you brought up the VA. I was a Marine from 1972 to 1976. About a year ago I applied on line at the VA. They denied me. Cited that I make too much money.

Now, I don't need VA until I retire in a couple of years, but since when was my income a factor? I thought the fact that I served my country was the contributing factor?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Go to the VA.

I'm glad you brought up the VA. I was a Marine from 1972 to 1976. About a year ago I applied on line at the VA. They denied me. Cited that I make too much money.

Now, I don't need VA until I retire in a couple of years, but since when was my income a factor? I thought the fact that I served my country was the contributing factor?

Really? :noway: My husband was Marine Corps too, 1987-1991 & I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect our income to be a factor in anything VA related either. That kinda sucks but I suppose there are folks needier than we are. I wasn't aware they could do that.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Go to the VA.

Really? :noway: My husband was Marine Corps too, 1987-1991 & I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect our income to be a factor in anything VA related either. That kinda sucks but I suppose there are folks needier than we are. I wasn't aware they could do that.
    Thank your husband for his service for me. As far as income stopping me from VAHealth Benefits, I'm pretty sure, if I make an issue of it, I can fight and win. Don't need it until I retire and, then, I will be on a fixed income anyways. Honestly, I don't mind paying my own way right now. There are a lot of other military families that need health care right now and can't afford it.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    US Vets deserve better than this. Sorry =(
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've had a cra@ppy few days.

No pearls of wisdom here, but have a flower :flowerforyou:
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Woke up this morning. Heel still very tender, but definitley getting better.

Made me take a hard look on what I ate on vacation. Couple of things that I shouldn't have had. Like Lamb and Menudo.

Live and learn.

Thanks for the kind words.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If your insurance comes from your current employer speak to your human resources director about the problem. Often times your company will have more pull with the insurance company and can get things done. I worked in close concert with our central HR person when my wife went through cancer treatment and my company at the time was instrumental in getting everything approved in a timely manner.

As for the VA, this country has always and will always owe its vets better than we actually give.