Restriction versus Empowerment

Options
I had a bit of an epiphany this morning. I was gassing up the car and noticed the Dunkin Donuts sign in the service station window. Almost instantly I felt that craving for the largest French vanilla coffee they had loaded with cream and sugar and a chocolate covered, cream filled donut. Then I caught myself thinking "No, I can't have that."

The more I thought about it, the more ridiculous that thought seemed. I am a grown person. I can do pretty much whatever I want to do as long as the law allows it, so telling myself that I can't have something is so stupid. At the same time, I also have the power within myself to make good choices - for my mind, my body, and my soul. So I decided to change my thinking. I could totally have had that large coffee and sugar filled donut if I really wanted it, but I chose to empower myself to say no because in the end, it just wasn't worth it to my health and overall well being.

It all comes down to attitude and positive versus negative thinking. At least for me, the more something is deemed off limits, the more I'm going to crave it. I'm finding that the better approach for me is that nothing is off limits, but are the consequences worth it?

Replies

• chamberlain3
    chamberlain3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's a great way to think!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of an epiphany this morning. I was gassing up the car and noticed the Dunkin Donuts sign in the service station window. Almost instantly I felt that craving for the largest French vanilla coffee they had loaded with cream and sugar and a chocolate covered, cream filled donut. Then I caught myself thinking "No, I can't have that."

The more I thought about it, the more ridiculous that thought seemed. I am a grown person. I can do pretty much whatever I want to do as long as the law allows it, so telling myself that I can't have something is so stupid. At the same time, I also have the power within myself to make good choices - for my mind, my body, and my soul. So I decided to change my thinking. I could totally have had that large coffee and sugar filled donut if I really wanted it, but I chose to empower myself to say no because in the end, it just wasn't worth it to my health and overall well being.

It all comes down to attitude and positive versus negative thinking. At least for me, the more something is deemed off limits, the more I'm going to crave it. I'm finding that the better approach for me is that nothing is off limits, but are the consequences worth it?

This is absolutely how I look it. Every lonesome calorie is a unit of fuel and nutrients for my body, I don't want to waste a single little itty bitty one of them on food I don't want/like or which don't do anything positive for my health.

It's actually become quite easy to politely turn down what I don't chose, and, yes, extremely empowering.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thats very true! A co-worker recently told me not to keep saying "I can't eat that" and say "I can eat it but I don't NEED to eat it" That crosses my mind every time I see something that I want..
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    "Do I really want it or is it just because I saw the sign?" After reading about the power of advertising and how the food industry makes us crave stuff that isn't very healthy, I have stopped to think before I ordered.
  • catherinet89
    catherinet89 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So right, dont think i cant have that think i choose not to put that in my body. I choose to be happy and healthy. I dont feel bad about not snaking or eating burger king (theres one literally a 2 minute walk from my house with 5$ meal deals). I actually get grossed out by fast food now. I worked at Mcdonalds for 2 years, part of the reason i got so big in the first place and knowing what i know now i would rather not touch the stuff.
  • catherinet89
    catherinet89 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "Do I really want it or is it just because I saw the sign?" After reading about the power of advertising and how the food industry makes us crave stuff that isn't very healthy, I have stopped to think before I ordered.

They actually change lighting in stores to draw you to things. Its kind of sick that they toy with people to make a profit but thats what big corporations do i guess