MFP Database v. Member-Submitted Foods

Options
When I search for foods to add to my diary, underneath the results list it says:

* = Nutritional information provided by another MyFitnessPal member

But even on foods that don't have the asterisk, when I look over at the right part of the screen, it says:

(member submitted, 11 confirmations)

See:
Capture.jpg

So, what's the deal here? Are the NON-asterisked items member submitted or part of MFP's general non-member submitted database? I always thought they were NOT member-submitted if there was no asterisk.

Also, is there any way to set it so that I see only NON-asterisked items (i.e. theoretically, not seeing anything submitted by another member)?

Thank you!!

[Edited about a million times to get the image to work - sorry!]

Replies

• countrylove12
    countrylove12 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great question! I've wondered the same thing and I've also wondered if we could possibly only see the food items from MFP first - and then ones that have been added in by users! I'm looking forward to answer as well! Thanks for the original post!
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Non asterisk means its in the data base.

I don't think you can search for only non asterisk'd items. You'll have to trust that 11 users have all read the nutrition facts and that they were correct when they confirmed it. Other than that, you've got to read labels yourself and click on things you know are correct...then confirm them yourself. A lot of trust is involved here.
  • FatRobinator
    Options
    But accelerashawn, look at the screenshot I posted. It displays that a NON-asterisked item is "member submitted."

And yes, I agree that using items that others submitted involves a lot of trust -- that's the problem when I see so many that are inaccurate.

I would also love to be able to sort the search results alphabetically.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    They all say member submitted.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    But accelerashawn, look at the screenshot I posted. It displays that a NON-asterisked item is "member submitted."

And yes, I agree that using items that others submitted involves a lot of trust -- that's the problem when I see so many that are inaccurate.

I would also love to be able to sort the search results alphabetically.

Member submitted is the confirmations on the nutrional data for the entry not the entry themselves.

Entries with an asterik are member entered...the others are typically usda

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

I don't use member submitted entries I will create my own before I do that based either on the package/website or the USDA website and I can always tell it's mine because I put my initials at the end of it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It appears to be an error by MFP that shows a food as member submitted even it it is not. Any food without an asterisk is indeed built into the database by MFP, usually from the USDA nutrient database, and is not member subitted.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't use member submitted entries I will create my own before I do that based either on the package/website or the USDA website and I can always tell it's mine because I put my initials at the end of it.
    Please tell me you are not adding those as part of the public database. I can understand the frustration with the database, but creating more entries when there are already correct entries in the database just exacerbates the problem.
  • brianhendirx
    brianhendirx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about scanning products? Does that go directly from their database or from a member on here?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you are not adding those as part of the public database. I can understand the frustration with the database, but creating more entries when there are already correct entries in the database just exacerbates the problem.

Do people not realize that they do not have to publish their personal entries to the public database? I understand the concept and I like it but some are obviously just for them because they put their names or initials in the description. If you are going to do that, do not publish it. You can have your own database without publishing it to the main.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

as a matter of fact you don't have a choice...I have on many occassion clicked "NO" do not add to database and when you click save it changes it to yes...

As for my entries if it was in the database correct I wouldn't be adding my own...now would I...

I am quite aware of the issues with the database..I wrote the post on logging accurately and how to search for correct items etc...

As well
    It appears to be an error by MFP that shows a food as member submitted even it it is not. Any food without an asterisk is indeed built into the database by MFP, usually from the USDA nutrient database, and is not member subitted.
    There is no error it is the confirmations that are user submitted on the non asteriked entries....not the entries.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Do people not realize that they do not have to publish their personal entries to the public database? I understand the concept and I like it but some are obviously just for them because they put their names or initials in the description. If you are going to do that, do not publish it. You can have your own database without publishing it to the main.

Actually as I stated I always check NO do not submit...don't assume.

But that being said MFP changes it to yes...if they want an error riddled database that will eventually crash...can't change that.
  • ksy1969
    Options

But that being said MFP changes it to yes...if they want an error riddled database that will eventually crash...can't change that.

That is interesting. I seen your last post and I went and checked a random sampling of my personal entries. Not a one is checked to be published to the database. I also picked a couple, copied the description and searched the main database and not a single one showed up. Just sayin..............it is working as intended for me, so I didn't assume anything.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options

as a matter of fact you don't have a choice...I have on many occassion clicked "NO" do not add to database and when you click save it changes it to yes...

As for my entries if it was in the database correct I wouldn't be adding my own...now would I...

I am quite aware of the issues with the database..I wrote the post on logging accurately and how to search for correct items etc...

As well
    There is no error it is the confirmations that are user submitted on the non asteriked entries....not the entries.

I don't think this is the case, SezxyStef. If you check items with no confirmations, it reads "member submitted, 0 confirmations". Given this it appears that what is member submitted is the actual entry and not the confirmations.

Also, judging from the structure of the phrase, I would think that the entry is what is member submitted, not the confirmations, otherwise it would read "4 confirmations, member submitted".

(Also also it just makes no sense to me for the item to say that the confirmations are member submitted as that is self-evident, and the crucial issue is whether the entry comes from an approved database or was submitted by a member.)
  • SezxyStef
    Options

That is interesting. I seen your last post and I went and checked a random sampling of my personal entries. Not a one is checked to be published to the database. I also picked a couple, copied the description and searched the main database and not a single one showed up. Just sayin..............it is working as intended for me, so I didn't assume anything.

Yah you assumed I added my entries to the public database when I don't, and it was also assumed that there was already a correct entry for said entry...

And I just tested it as well...by adding a test entry (purposefully made it so it wouldn't be added by including an error)

54b56ddf-2a94-4e5b-aa9d-58d42798bb93_zps6e04c143.png

is the entry note near the bottom I have not checked "YES"

autosave_zps5b70c34f.png

This is what happened when I clicked save, it changed it to yes...this is under "create food"...not that is saved as I intentionally included an error...

I actually know what I am doing with databases...it's my irl job to know how data works in a software program.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

As well

I don't think this is the case, SezxyStef. If you check items with no confirmations, it reads "member submitted, 0 confirmations". Given this it appears that what is member submitted is the actual entry and not the confirmations.

Also, judging from the structure of the phrase, I would think that the entry is what is member submitted, not the confirmations, otherwise it would read "4 confirmations, member submitted".

(Also also it just makes no sense to me for the item to say that the confirmations are member submitted as that is self-evident, and the crucial issue is whether the entry comes from an approved database or was submitted by a member.)

Actually I know it's the case...if an entry has an asterik it is member submitted
    The other area is for confirmations from other members...on nutrional data in the entry.

Confirmations are for other member to see that this item has been confirmed by X number of other members and based on that they can decide if it's enough confirmation or not.

but you can all argue with me all you want I know I am correct and I don't have the need to prove it...I did in my post about logging accurately...I have studied this database and how it works quite a bit (it's the analyst in me)

but hey again don't believe me...no skin off my nose.
  • ksy1969
    Options

Yah you assumed I added my entries to the public database when I don't, and it was also assumed that there was already a correct entry for said entry...

And I just tested it as well...by adding a test entry (purposefully made it so it wouldn't be added by including an error)

54b56ddf-2a94-4e5b-aa9d-58d42798bb93_zps6e04c143.png

is the entry note near the bottom I have not checked "YES"

autosave_zps5b70c34f.png

This is what happened when I clicked save, it changed it to yes...this is under "create food"...not that is saved as I intentionally included an error...

I actually know what I am doing with databases...it's my irl job to know how data works in a software program.

Why are you getting all bent outta shape with me? I am sorry it is not working for you, it is working as intended for me. And since you are not the only one that works with databases and needs to understand software, personal experience tells me if it is working for me but not for someone else, then there is another factor or factors at play. And no, that is not a dig at you.

By the way, apparently I unintentionally offended you. I am sorry. My original quote wasn't meant to include your message. It was an observation I have wanted to make for a long time and the person I quoted hit on it. So, I quoted them and I added to it since it is something that has bothered me. Your statement got caught up in the quote and I will be more careful next time.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Why are you getting all bent outta shape with me? I am sorry it is not working for you, it is working as intended for me. And since you are not the only one that works with databases and needs to understand software, personal experience tells me if it is working for me but not for someone else, then there is another factor or factors at play. And no, that is not a dig at you.

By the way, apparently I unintentionally offended you. I am sorry. My original quote wasn't meant to include your message. It was an observation I have wanted to make for a long time and the person I quoted hit on it. So, I quoted them and I added to it since it is something that has bothered me. Your statement got caught up in the quote and I will be more careful next time.

Not really bent out of shape at you...and I didn't take it as a dig. Just trying to actually "defend" myself against assumptions made..

Not offended...and it bugs me too...when I see entries from others for chicken 6oz and 98grams of protien...really?

I wish MFP would clean up their database, and not make it so all entries are included...(my experience is that is what they do)

I never intentionally dirty up the data with entries I know are incorrect...I often am correcting errors in the data and when asked to confirm if it's not 100% correct I say NO it's not correct. Edit the entry and put my initials on it...so if it does go in the database anyone that knows me well knows that the entry is mine and is correct based on usda or the package from the product or a resturant website.
  • ksy1969
    Options

Not really bent out of shape at you...and I didn't take it as a dig. Just trying to actually "defend" myself against assumptions made..

Not offended...and it bugs me too...when I see entries from others for chicken 6oz and 98grams of protien...really?

I wish MFP would clean up their database, and not make it so all entries are included...(my experience is that is what they do)

I never intentionally dirty up the data with entries I know are incorrect...I often am correcting errors in the data and when asked to confirm if it's not 100% correct I say NO it's not correct. Edit the entry and put my initials on it...so if it does go in the database anyone that knows me well knows that the entry is mine and is correct based on usda or the package from the product or a resturant website.

Whew, glad to hear. I really enjoy reading your posts and the discussions you get into. I would hate to think I inadvertently pissed you off.

Based on the experience you are having, that explains to me why I see some of the off the wall entries that I do. For example, I came across an entry for half a slice of a brand name bread. Right above that was the complete entry for the same bread. Your experience isthe only reason I could see something like that coming across to the main database.
  • FatRobinator
    Options
    Well, damn, y'all, I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you, everyone.

Also, I do want to say that I have experienced some of the same system hiccups that SezxyStef has -- like it changing my "no" to "yes" when I click to save a new food item entry. It's annoying.

So does anyone know if there is a way to set it so that I see only NON-asterisked items (i.e. not seeing anything submitted by another member)?

Or to view the search results list in alphabetical order?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Well, damn, y'all, I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you, everyone.

Also, I do want to say that I have experienced some of the same system hiccups that SezxyStef has -- like it changing my "no" to "yes" when I click to save a new food item entry. It's annoying.

So does anyone know if there is a way to set it so that I see only NON-asterisked items (i.e. not seeing anything submitted by another member)?

Or to view the search results list in alphabetical order?

No you can only do that with your frequent, recent and my foods (change from default sort to by name) but in the regular database...no.

Good news is if you see any entries with SCW those are mine ...