I am not convinced...

Options

Replies

• melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Cant speak for anyone else but for me- proteins are more filling and most of the bad stuff causes me to want more food later. I find that if I eat boring stuff that is nutritious BEFORE I get hungry then I never desire to binge.

Boring stuff can be good stuff. Watermelon, blueberries, mixed nuts, eggs...I like them all and they fill me up. In my case I hope to make eating just another habit-like brushing my teeth or mowing the lawn. When was the last time you were tempted to binge brush your teeth?

This is me! I was so incredibly skeptical about Paleo. I used to eat a ton of "healthy grains and legumes". Lots of quinoa, lentils, and beans ( I actually like that stuff). However despite my healthy diet, I was so frustrated that the scale would not budge. I grudgingly gave Paleo a try. The strangest thing happens, after just a few days, my appetite fell off the cliff.

I get it now, the sugar (even from healthy grains and legumes) sends my feeling of hunger THROUGH THE ROOF. When I'm on Paleo, I simply don't binge. Where I fall off the wagon (like now) is I went to the beach and abandoned Paleo. I'm back being hungry and am now trying to cut the sugar again to level out my blood sugar.

YES, you CAN lose weight with a calorie deficit, look up the Twinkie Diet. However, when I'm eating a bunch of junk, it is as if my hunger urge never quite goes off.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So.... before everyone starts caps locking their opinions of what healthy food is and why a Paleo/clean eating diet is so much better....I want to say up front that I totally get that and understand that....I am a nurse....I know what fruits and veggies and whole grains are :D I have tried it before... did it work? Yup... but I must say, that it is not nearly as satisfying or filling to me to eat this way...I get bored... stop eating this way... fall off the wagon... and guess what.... BINGE BINGE BINGE.... so I am trying something new.... eating whatever I want (granted I am cutting sweets...I have to say I have figured out that I waste a TON of calories on that crap) but I am going to stay at my calories... give or take a few... So for example I just had taco bell....I am not convinced I am going to lose weight eating this stuff... I know that it's all about caloric deficit in the end right? But why do I have such a hard time believing this?? Has anyone had the luck with eating the unhealthy American food way? In moderation of course...I am not saying I eat fast food at every meal...I love my chicken/salmon/veggie nights... but something's gotta give... Do I have to do the boring clean eating/Binge eating? That clearly has not in the end helped me on the scale :(

My eating habits are very comparable. I really enjoyed my Taco Bell Smothered Burrito earlier this week. Greens and chicken another night and this morning bacon and Cheerios for breakfast. I make sure I get enough food that isn't junk in my diet for the nutrition and some junk for the yummy. I stay at or below my calorie goal with the rare exception. I'm using the default goal set by MFP for 1 lbs a week loss for my goal. My weight bounces around a lot but on average I'm hitting that goal.

I have to be smart though. As much as I wanted that extra piece of pizza last night, it would have used up all my calories so I decided I had enough and instead treat myself to a little milk and cookies. It sometimes helps to enter your food before you eat too. But the trade off is you don't have to give up what you enjoy.

Remember to think about how filling that yummy food will be. Satisfying doesn't always equal filling but if you miscalculate and get hungry anyway, stay on track. You made a choice so pay the price and next time you'll probably won't eat as much of that yummy thing that didn't fill you up and instead take an extra spoon full of broccoli.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    OP - Yes, I have had luck eating this way. You can friend me an view my food diary. Of course those fast food calories use up your calorie goal quick.
  • rileyleigh
    rileyleigh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat some unhealthy foods on occasions. I love pizza, steak and potatoes, and ice cream! When i do eat it, i limit portions, or get the "thing crust", or see if there is a slightly healthier option for the same unhealthy foods. If there is no way to make it slightly better, then i just eat it and make up for it with more exercise or limiting other foods that day.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The trick is finding the fast food that fits in your diet. I eat it regularly and have lost 20 lbs. Some favorites:
    Taco Bell= 2 soft chicken taco Fresco style with guacamole
    Wendy's= Double Stack with a side of fries ( I only eat fries while I'm eating the burger, in between bites, so I usually only eat 8-10 fries out of the serving.)
    Jet's Pizza= 1 slice of the 2 slice carry out special ***BONUS, it's $4.99 for 2 meals that way****
    McDonald's= 6 Chicken nuggets or the regular cheese burger and fries.
    Subway=Double chicken chopped salad with FF Italian dressing.
    Arby's=Regular Roast beef with curly fries

When you add up the cals, and put them in your day, they are some of the lower calorie things you can have at these places.

Word of CAUTION. If in doubt, look up the menu before you go, and find something you will like that is calorically acceptable to you.
    RED FLASHING LIGHTS on Wendy's salads. They are frickin delicious and 700-1000 calories each. They will RUIN your day. Trust me.

I don't eat this stuff ALL the time. I eat my salads and stuff mostly at home where I can control the contents, and usually eat a lean meat and potato/veg for dinner as a regular routine. And often times I will take food to work I have made myself.

You can lose weight eating fast food.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I am trying to make a lifestyle "diet" I've tried clean eating/carb restriction in the past... and I just feel like its so unrealistic for me to eat that way for the rest of my life!!

Have you tried/read McDougall? It's clearly not right for everyone, and I don't even actually recommend it, since it cuts out some things I love. Essentially, it's a high carb, low-fat vegan diet that suggests high-calorie things like nuts, beans and fruit only in moderation, but essentially you can "eat all you can eat". The biggest risk is getting your minimums in protein and fat and iron.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Someone previously posted a link to the "Twinkie Diet", which I think proves the point:

Eating at a deficit makes you lose weight, even if its pure sugar.

To recap, a professor of nutrition decided to eat just twinkies for several months, but at a caloric deficit, to see if what you ate really mattered.

Long story short, he lost weight eating mostly just twinkies (he also had a protein shake per day).

Health? By measurable standards (i.e. blood tests), his health IMPROVED.

Of course, neither he nor anyone else recommends that anyone eat this way, but it goes to show you that you should eat the same foods you intend to eat the rest of your life, just learn to portion control them. That means 'fast food happens". (as does, cake, and ice cream.....)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.6 pounds since Monday, and the majority of my Tuesday calories came from a breakfast buffet and ice cream. Taco Bell and Cook Out burgers are frequent guests on my food diary. My freezer ALWAYS has some sort of ice cream treat, and I eat waffles, french toast or pancakes at least every few weeks. Counting calories works. Counting calories with the addition of restricting those calories to certain foods can also work, but man, it makes me cranky.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    eat whatever food that help you to feel full with fewer calories/amount. People who claim eating clean help them lose weight is because that type of food makes them full faster hence less food by the end of the day.

If you can stop after 10 chips, go for it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    That hurt to read.

Nice pic btw!
  • DivaDanea
    DivaDanea Posts: 3
    Options
    HAHAHA Binge brush your teeth! I love it!! It has been said many many times, Eating the way I was got me to where I am...SO, obviously something has to give. For me, it is watching my portions as I eat relatively healthy, but eating healthy but eating too much gets you in the same position.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Options
    So.... before everyone starts caps locking their opinions of what healthy food is and why a Paleo/clean eating diet is so much better....I want to say up front that I totally get that and understand that....I am a nurse....I know what fruits and veggies and whole grains are :D I have tried it before... did it work? Yup... but I must say, that it is not nearly as satisfying or filling to me to eat this way...I get bored... stop eating this way... fall off the wagon... and guess what.... BINGE BINGE BINGE.... so I am trying something new.... eating whatever I want (granted I am cutting sweets...I have to say I have figured out that I waste a TON of calories on that crap) but I am going to stay at my calories... give or take a few... So for example I just had taco bell....I am not convinced I am going to lose weight eating this stuff... I know that it's all about caloric deficit in the end right? But why do I have such a hard time believing this?? Has anyone had the luck with eating the unhealthy American food way? In moderation of course...I am not saying I eat fast food at every meal...I love my chicken/salmon/veggie nights... but something's gotta give... Do I have to do the boring clean eating/Binge eating? That clearly has not in the end helped me on the scale :(

You will lose weight as long as you are consuming less calories then you are burning. It doesn't matter what you eat. A dietitian once told my mom that if she wanted to lose weight - eat 1,200 calories a day, whatever you want - but when you reach those 1,200 calories, stop eating. I eat pretty much what I want and just stay under a certain amount of calories and I am losing weight.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think it's really the quantity that matters in my own experience. Like right now, I only want to eat turkey, chicken, carrots, but I want to eat more than I should...like 10 oz turkey breast to feel full...and that's why I can't lose weight...
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It is clear from your original post that you are not meticulous about counting calories. A "cutting back" or "give or take" approach might take off a few lbs.; however, it isn't the road to goal weight.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Didn’t read any of the comments yet.

I've lost all my weight in the like 40 something days that way. I've not changed any habit except portion size.
  • Paultb
    Paultb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I started on my journey I had sunday as a cheat day, that way I could be disciplined the entire week and have something to look forward to. I still lost steadily, if taking my kids out for fast food or pizza, I'd eat a cup of fresh veggies first (mainly to avoid feeling guilty) Good luck!

What a clever idea.
    There is something to be said for "allowing" yourself to have treats so long as your goal is nutrition and good eating habits.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Everyone's comments seemed to be recycled from each other. literally the same. So i'll join in on this bandwagon! Kinda

Ever since i got started on this thang all i've done is count calories and i've never had a problem losing weight. Sometimes if i eat something that's super duper carby, then i'll be puffy for a couple days but puffiness is what? Water. And it'll eventually go away anyway soooo i eat what i want and i'm damn happy doing it. I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything and every single day i always have something to look forward to!
  • smask12
    smask12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excuse me if I sound stupid but everyone keeps talking about eating clean. I don't know what that means. I eat lots of fruit and veg, with low fat meats and fish. I have also a sweet tooth and an addiction to chai tea latte. And a craving for a full English breakfast, which I intend to indulge very soon. So can someone tell me what eating clean means?:happy:
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Excuse me if I sound stupid but everyone keeps talking about eating clean. I don't know what that means. I eat lots of fruit and veg, with low fat meats and fish. I have also a sweet tooth and an addiction to chai tea latte. And a craving for a full English breakfast, which I intend to indulge very soon. So can someone tell me what eating clean means?:happy:

It's different for everyone. Sounds like you're doing great. I love chai tea lattes :)
  • Ginger046
    Ginger046 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Recently I've found my 'inbetween'! I eat a cereal for breakfast and then for lunch I eat the 'clean' chicken/rice/veggies combo. Then for dinner I have some of whatever my boyfriend is making, be it pasta, pizza, korma etc - its clean-ER but I dont want to fully commit to the clean eating cause I'd miss too many foods! Also if I've got enough calories I will have a wee bit of chocolate or toast!