Protein powder in hot coffee?

Options

Replies

• inthekitch
    inthekitch Posts: 26
    Options
    Super tasty!

I usually blend coffee, ice cubes, vega chocolate protein powder with a bit of dark chocolate almond milk (or cocoa powder) and make a frappucino for breakfast :)

I do quite enjoy hot coffee with protein powder but it's been far too warm this summer to drink it as such.
  • maeganmoo
    maeganmoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Best-JavaPro-Protein-Complex/dp/B00EZD0MBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405512678&sr=8-1&keywords=javapro

Javapro- protein coffee
    The best of both worlds!!!!
    I mix mine in a shaker cup with water first and then microwave. Start my morning off with it everyday. :)
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I tried mixing my chocolate protein powder with hot water -> hot chocolate. It didn't work. The powder went the texture of scrambled eggs. Revolting. Hopefully you will have more success with it!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I add collagen powder to my coffee, one tablespoon has 6 grams of protein and it is pretty much flavorless. Gives me some added protein and the benefits of collagen for joint health...bonus!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I use Amplify XL in my coffee every morning. Tip of advice: mix your protein powder in cool/cold water first then pour coffee the in and stir again. If you try to mix your protein powder into just coffee, it doesn't mix well (stays clumpy).
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yea or nay? I don't like to eat in the A.M. but I always have coffee. I ordered 1lb of the ON gold standard double chocolate to try and it would be really ideal if I could just mix it into my coffee.
    Not familiar with that particular brand; many protein powders seem to denature and become less than ideal in hot beverages.
    Protein also denatures in your stomach! AHHH!
  • jmcnally257
    Options
    If you put a scoop of protein into your coffee it will cook the protein and turn it into floating lumps of dough. Trust me on this one, I had a similar thought a while back.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!! If the coffee is too hot though the protein powder will congeal and become undrinkable. I mix 1/4 of the hot coffee with milk, then mix in the protein powder then mix that whole thing into the coffee. I use Isopure Zero and it mixes really well as long as the coffee is not too hot. I use one scoop of the vanilla protein powder, 8 ounces of coffee and 2 ounces of whole milk and a splenda or two and I feel like I'm drinking a very naughty coffee drink!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would be good if you could get it to mix well. I've never tried it. I get 47 g of protein in before breakfast thanks to my pre-workout Quest bar and post-workout protein smoothie. Thirty minutes later I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, so my coffee is protein-free.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it would be good if you could get it to mix well. I've never tried it. I get 47 g of protein in before breakfast thanks to my pre-workout Quest bar and post-workout protein smoothie. Thirty minutes later I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, so my coffee is protein-free.

I am often on my way early and not being an morning person and not liking to eat in the morning, but consuming coffee every morning, it seemed the easiest solution. With my school right now, 2-3 days a week I may not have breakfast (because it's 6 flipping am and I am on the road to clinicals) and I don't really get a chance to eat until 1:30 or 2. I had been eating a Luna protein (have a couple Quest to try) bar around 10am and was doing fine, but was trying to get a little more protein than that.

So, I tried it this morning. I mixed one scoop of my powder with 30ml half and half and 30 ml skim milk, plus a little water, maybe 2oz (to give it more volume to mix). It blended great, smooth as can be. Into my big travel coffee mug it went. At first, all was great. Good flavor, no chunks. I hit about 1/2 way down my mug and started getting little glutinous chunks with every mouthful. Yum. I am thinking next time I will try it in ice coffee instead. Save myself the chewy bits, lol
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's my preferred way to have protein.

When I want something sweet, I'd much, much rather make my protein+coffee than get any of the sugary drinks at Starbucks.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    :noway: why have I never thought of this?!
  • CityGirl318
    Options
    BPC (bullet proof coffee) is a regular for me. coffee + Jay Robb Chocolate Whey + 1 tablespoon of CO and some half n half. Wipe in blender ..... it comes out very smooth and frothy.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I do a scoop of protein powder + 1 cup of almond milk and add that to my iced coffee. It's too hot here to have regular coffee but the protein works really well with iced coffee. I'm not a fan of coffee but I love my protein coffee mix.
  • Chazerc
    Chazerc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the powder becomes less nutrition at high temps, but mixing some milk in with it first would solve that problem.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    BPC (bullet proof coffee) is a regular for me. coffee + Jay Robb Chocolate Whey + 1 tablespoon of CO and some half n half. Wipe in blender ..... it comes out very smooth and frothy.

Sorry if this is dumb, but what's CO?
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Super tasty!

I usually blend coffee, ice cubes, vega chocolate protein powder with a bit of dark chocolate almond milk (or cocoa powder) and make a frappucino for breakfast :)

I do quite enjoy hot coffee with protein powder but it's been far too warm this summer to drink it as such.

This is basically what I do only I use unsweetened almond/coconut milk and I add a container of danon light greek yogurt. Sometimes I swing by the coffee shop and get two shots of espresso to replace the regular coffee.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I am often on my way early and not being an morning person and not liking to eat in the morning, but consuming coffee every morning, it seemed the easiest solution. With my school right now, 2-3 days a week I may not have breakfast (because it's 6 flipping am and I am on the road to clinicals) and I don't really get a chance to eat until 1:30 or 2. I had been eating a Luna protein (have a couple Quest to try) bar around 10am and was doing fine, but was trying to get a little more protein than that.

So, I tried it this morning. I mixed one scoop of my powder with 30ml half and half and 30 ml skim milk, plus a little water, maybe 2oz (to give it more volume to mix). It blended great, smooth as can be. Into my big travel coffee mug it went. At first, all was great. Good flavor, no chunks. I hit about 1/2 way down my mug and started getting little glutinous chunks with every mouthful. Yum. I am thinking next time I will try it in ice coffee instead. Save myself the chewy bits, lol

Maybe toss it in the blender instead of hand mixing it.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Neck the protein powder down in one go with water - go "ugh!" - then sit back and enjoy your coffee.
    A good coffee is too important to muck around with like that.

It is a GOOD coffee right?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

ick, I know the exact texture, like someone put cottage cheese in your coffee. It happens when you add the protein mix to too hot liquid. EVEN if it's completely dissolved, it will congeal if it's added to a very hot liquid. Once you find the perfect temperature you're gonna love it. Don't give up!