Afraid to become thin?

Options
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this website, after a bit over half a year now. I've just come to my first milestone of losing 15 lbs, and every time I go to watch what I eat, or to exercise, I become absolutely petrified of the thought of being thin. But at the same time, I'm really angry that I'm still overweight. The root of my being overweight was that I was hurt as a child, and I began packing on weight, because I thought that I wouldn't have been hurt had I been fat. Well, when I got fat, I got hurt in a different way, and I just gained more. This was a little more than 10 years ago - 19 now - and I really want to get healthy and do the things I want to, but they require me to be thin and flexible. Has anyone gone through the fear of change, but also the anger at staying the same?

I'm afraid of regression, and giving up control of what I eat, how much, and my exercising. It's a struggle every day, but I'm able to push through it currently. Any tips or advice on how you all stay motivated, or keep from blowing it off?

Thanks! (:

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is my first post on this website, after a bit over half a year now. I've just come to my first milestone of losing 15 lbs, and every time I go to watch what I eat, or to exercise, I become absolutely petrified of the thought of being thin. But at the same time, I'm really angry that I'm still overweight. The root of my being overweight was that I was hurt as a child, and I began packing on weight, because I thought that I wouldn't have been hurt had I been fat. Well, when I got fat, I got hurt in a different way, and I just gained more. This was a little more than 10 years ago - 19 now - and I really want to get healthy and do the things I want to, but they require me to be thin and flexible. Has anyone gone through the fear of change, but also the anger at staying the same?

I'm afraid of regression, and giving up control of what I eat, how much, and my exercising. It's a struggle every day, but I'm able to push through it currently. Any tips or advice on how you all stay motivated, or keep from blowing it off?

Thanks! (:

I feel like you're afraid of being thin because you're worried that it'll bring you back to the place that you were at when whatever happened to you happened the first time. What you have to realize is that you deserve to be happy and healthy and going back to your old bodyweight (or close to that) will in no way, shape or form, make you experience whatever happened to you again.

And a fear of change is extremely normal. Everyone fears change, especially when they've had something traumatic happen to them. You find a situation that you're comfortable in and then you feel like it's somehow being taken away from you. But it's not. You're the one that's in control of the situation, you're creating your own future and that's great.

I think what will help you is to reinforce the fact that the effort your putting into getting healthy is great and that you deserve that.

Also, sometimes thinking of small steps is easier than looking at the big picture. Change doesn't seem as terrifying when you think of it like, "okay, for the next two days I'm going to do _________" instead of thinking, "my end goal is this, I have to reach this or else I won't be happy and I'll be disappointed in myself." Don't make it harder than it has to be.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I think it can be common for people who went through hurt and trauma as children to gain extra weight as some kind of protection or armor. If that's the case, thinking about losing weight seems like it would be pretty scary, since you're choosing to get rid of your armor. Being thin isn't a permanent state, necessarily, just like being thick isn't a permanent state. You don't have to choose to get rid of the person you used to be forever -- you just need to try something new. If it doesn't work for you, you can always go back to being thicker.

You might not like being thin, and that's okay. I know this flies in the face of how a lot of people talk about losing weight (it's a lifestyle change! I'm doing this forever!), but when your weight is tied to some other aspect of your personality, it can be daunting to think about making a forever change to their personality. You have control over your body and your weight, so you can choose to lose or gain weight at any point. It's completely up to you.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The things I was going to say have already been stated very well by the two posters before me. I will add, however, that you would probably benefit greatly by getting some counseling. Being able to talk about what's happened to you, the results of it and your fears in a safe environment will help you to work through the emotional issues that are causing your anxiety.

And like the previous poster said, if you lose the weight you think you want to lose, and it ends up making you unhappy, putting more weight on is pretty darn easy. And you don't even have to do it in an unhealthy way if you don't want to. It's just as easy to gain weight eating foods that are good for you as it is to gain weight eating fast food and candy.

Whatever you decide to do, the very best to you.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The things I was going to say have already been stated very well by the two posters before me. I will add, however, that you would probably benefit greatly by getting some counseling. Being able to talk about what's happened to you, the results of it and your fears in a safe environment will help you to work through the emotional issues that are causing your anxiety.

Yes, I'm glad you said that as I forgot to mention it.

Counseling is something that I recommend for a lot of people. I even go to a psychologist myself for my anxiety issues.
  • Trizi
    Trizi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely get that. I had a very fit body and as a pre-teen, it attracted the wrong, married adult person who really manipulated me. Due to a stroke of luck and timing it was limited to very personal touching and I came to my senses on a long vacation and was able to cut away from the whole situation. However, I never really trusted men's intentions.

Nonetheless I went all the way into my late 20s with boys being ridiculous around me. I can't even watch comedies that joke about the way men-going-after-a-hottie. I get mad and don't find them funny at all, even to this day.

Throughout my working life - which is sedentary - I went to the gym and as the weight came off I caught certain women eyeing me very critically and (I felt) competitively. I could feel their claws coming out.

A disastrous relationship with a fellow who seemed so nice but turned out to be just the sort of fellow I didn't want .... So I remember a clear, loud thought came to me at one point. "If I gain weight they'll leave me alone." I was giving myself permission to eat.

Once I became heavier, I also found people looked right through me.

In my mid 40s I lost the excess. I'll tell you the women started giving me cookies, and men started chasing me up elevators. No I don't wear clothes that would attract that behavior.

At this point I'm hugely overweight and so conflicted. Everything aches, I easily sprain ligaments, my back hurts.

I'm going to make the effort to lose it but I really still dread the resurgence of the phoneys.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I completely get that. I had a very fit body as a pre-teen, and it attracted the wrong, married adult person who really manipulated me. Due to a stroke of luck and timing it was limited so very personal touching and I came to my senses on a long vacation and was able to cut away from the whole situation. However, I never really trusted men's intentions.
    I'm not trying to criticize you at all, so I very much hope you don't take it that way, but I want to point out that your body didn't attract that man. Your body didn't do anything to create the situation. A grown man saw a pre-teen girl who could be manipulated and took unfair advantage of that. Your body, no matter how it looked, is 100% not at fault in that situation.
  • Trizi
    Trizi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No criticism taken. :) Yes, I agree in the case of the pre-teen me.

I'm not going to get into the multiple examples in my adult years ... you wouldn't believe them.
    However, the behavior correlates in tandem with the slim vs fat.
  • Lovett56
    Lovett56 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all so, so much! I had thought about counselling, but I'm honestly afraid of being vulnerable to someone who I don't truly know, as I've heard horror stories of that predicament. I know that those cases are rare, but I wanted to try to rely on myself and gain inner strength, rather than someone else - if that makes sense. The hardest part - remembering - is over, and now I'm just trying to get rid of these emotional habits so that I can fully heal. (:

Also, Trizi, I'm very sorry that that happened to you! When I became fat at a young age, it made me sprout breasts - in the second grade - to which men in public places would just stare at them. It didn't help that when I was 12, I looked 18. I always had a body that automatically looks over-sexualized, and clothes shopping was so difficult, because I was fat and nothing hugged me...flatteringly, nor modestly.

I will definitely do that, MeganMoroz! I know I want to get healthy for the right reasons, it just seems so intimidating at times. I think the daily goal or the two-day goal will definitely help me stop seeing it as a mountain I have to conquer. (: