couch to 5 k

Options
I just started the couch to 5 k program today. I wanted to stop so many times, but i pushed through, and afterwards I felt so proud of myself. I was wondering what kind of success some of you had with it, particularly if you are kinda in the same boat as me. Im about 80lbs overweight. I work out occasionally, but never have enjoyed running.

Also, if anyone wants to join me, to keep ourselves motivated, then hey, the more the merrier!

-Karrie

Replies

• karriebearie05
    Options
    oh, i meant to include this link, for the program guidelines incase anyone is not aware of what it is.

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting the C25K program! I just started Week 2, day 1 this morning :) Even though I'm barely starting week 2, I'm finding my stamina is better. Best of luck on your journey. There are multiple threads on this, if you want to search for them.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 day 3, but I think I might repeat day 2 at least once before I attempt day 3!!

The program really works if you stick with it. I know it's hard to believe that you will reach a point when can run for any length of time, but it will happen if you follow the program. I'm really nervous about the jump to a 20 minute run, but I've been assured by so many people that I'll do better than I think I will and I should just go for it!!

I never enjoyed running either, but pushed myself because it really is such a great workout. I have actually started to enjoy it. I just love to be outside, on my own, left to my own thoughts, and I bring my music and it's all good. Gets me out of the house and away from the daily stresses. It's not like doing a workout dvd, where I have to pay attention to the moves and everything. It's just time to me, an escape of sorts.

And don't worry about your weight. You can still run, and if you're running that weight will start to come off! I'm about 45 lbs or so overweight now. Lots of people start C25K when they are overweight and they do just fine!

Friend me if you'd like! Good luck with the program!! :)
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    Im starting week 3 this week and have seen amazing improvements. When I first started I could do a mile in 18:48. Yesterday I tried again and finished in 14:05!

It definitely works and what I like most about the program is the flexibility of it. If you feel like you need it you can repeat weeks until you feel like you can move up. It's also a big motivating factor for me because it has you working towards a goal. And it burns calories at the same time :D
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hey! Today I completed Week 2, Day 3. So I will do Week 3 next. So far it's been going great. Day 1 was HARD. It has gradually gotten a bit easier, yet still challenging for me. I struggled getting through it a bit today for some reason. Next time I have to run for 3 min straight!!! YIKES! I have about 50 lbs to lose and I've always hated running. But my goal this year is to run a 5K.

Good luck to you! You made it through the hardest day! We are hear for support until the very last run!! Good luck!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I loved the C25k! I finished the program almost 2 years ago and now i'm running half marathons! Keep it up!

Also, I used these podcasts...totally made a difference:
    www.kissmyblackass.org

happy running!
  • mwkinney
    mwkinney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I've finished week 2 of C25k with W3D1 tomorrow morning. I'm nervous but stoked at the same time. Good luck to everyone lets support each other!!!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am planning on starting tomorrow!
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    Finished w1 and start w2 tomorrow. remember to give yourself a days rest between the runs.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I started it today. I had started it several times in the past while using the treadmill at the gym and I just couldn't do it. My shins would hurt so bad and then I could barely walk. I was able to do it successfully today because it was the first time I did it on the ground as opposed to the treadmill. I didn't have any problems with my shins hurting and I was able to complete the entire first day and it was WONDERFUL! I have always hated jogging/running, but I really enjoyed myself today. I think that it will be a great addition to my regular workouts and provide some variety.
  • alohajillian
    Options
    I just finished week 1 today. I'm looking forward to week 2. Crazy, because I never thought I'd RUN! :smile:
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just started today too! I used to run years ago before I had got married & had kids. I liked it then. I'm excited to get back into it even though it was hard today. I have 90lbs that I need to lose.