How did you gain weight in the first place

Options

Replies

• Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Being in a relationship. We have both gained about 60lbs together in 7 years. When we met he was underweight and I was only around 10 lbs over weight.... :cry: Now he is overweight and I am considered obese :sad:
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I ate too much. I didn't move enough.

The why of it though is I worked a late shift, didn't know how to cook, ate a lot of fast food, and lived on mountain dew.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was born fat... literally... 9lb babies were not all that common 59 years ago. I remember my mother telling me stories on how I was a colic baby... to "soothe the colic" she'd prepare home made baby formula with bottles of white Karo syrup... guess that did the trick and from that point on, was rewarded with candy. I was 60 lbs when i started first grade at the age of 5... entered 4th grade at 99 lbs.... what the heck.. I was a kid.. I didn't know better. I relied on my mom and dad to provide me with food and I guess they did!!!

Is it wrong of me to blame my parents for my lifelong weight issues? No, I do not believe so.. they set the pace for me when I was an infant... as a young kid I didn't know better... granted, as I got older, they weren't the ones force feeding me junk food... and yes, I figured out what the difference was between good food and bad food... unfortunately years of not having a solid nutritional base wreaked havoc with my body and I spent the first 58 years of my life fat. I finally figured it out, though... and for the very first time in my life, I celebrated my 59th birthday yesterday as a healthy, happy, size 4 woman and truthfully... I feel like I've just been born! The past is the past and I can only go forward from here...

And, while I do blame my parents for instilling bad habits in me at an early early age, I also realize that they didn't know any better and once I became an adult I was responsible for my own health and well being...
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Had two kids back to back and after that I ate too much and moved too little.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My mum died when I was four, so I sort of tried to replace her with food. When I was seven, I contracted alopecia and lost all my hair. For a young girl, this was extremely distressing and unsurprisingly I was bullied, and ate a lot to try to make myself feel better - leading to being overweight, leading to more bullying and more eating. This cycle went all the way through childhood into teenhood and I just kept up the bad eating habits even when the bullying stopped - due to depression and anxiety. Things got worse for me about four months ago when I got ITP (where the immune system attacks blood platelets) and was put on steroid medication. This led to me being a 15st 1lb (211lbs) 18 year old! (Although to be fair I'm very top heavy with a cup size of F) I'm going to university in september though, and I'm determined to get myself sorted out and start a new life!
  • Linda_wright75
    Linda_wright75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love food! Now I just eat less!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    two words....high school!

I was severely depressed and ate my sorrows. I was 135lbs and size 4/6 jeans when I was going into my freshman year (13 years old) by my junior year (16 years old) I was up to a size 20 prom dress and unsure of my weight.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was not feeling well for a long time (the whole thing went on for about three years) and it kept getting progressively worse but I didn't go to a doctor. I went from having problems keeping my weight up even though I'm a good eater (at one point I was 100 lbs, at 5'6") to weighing 140 lbs. The weight I have always been comfortable with has been 120. Anyway... After all that time of spending weeks at a time not getting out of bed and having all kinds of real crazy symptoms I thought I was either dying or going crazy and went to the doctor. Turns out I was neither. I just had a very severe vitamin D deficiency. They put me on a prescription vitamin D and now I have to take higher doses than normal because apparently I don't process it correctly and after a few months I started feeling better and started exercising again and I lost the weight. I do have a new found respect for people who need to lose weight. I love food and I had gotten used to the comfort of now doing much and having meals brought to me (I still miss that part of being sick). It is not an easy task.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Eating to much. As a child we all belonged to "The Clean Plate Club" and I took the lesson too much to heart.

Me too. Mom went through the Depression with little food, and love was a plate piled high, seconds were OK.
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a hermit.

Sedentary activity level + a love for cereal and breakfast bars = skinnyfat.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just loved all food, ever since I was a kid. I snuck food, and ate weird things that others wouldn't:
    pasta with plain tomato sauce.
    grapefruit with salt.
    cake mix/water
    chopped carrots with lemon juice and Buttermilk Hidden Valley dressing

who eats that way!!
    I'd eat all the Dole Spinach off my friend's cafeteria plates in grade school.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    For me too tired too cook after work + take out that had seriously oversized portion sizes = lots of gained weight. Even when I wasn't eating stuff that was less healthy, it was still way bigger portions then a person should have. Now I try to make dinner at least 6 nights a week (usually a veggie plate with some eggs and cheese - yes, I was even too lazy to throw veggies on a plate before I was that tired) and we do a healthy takeout with a reasonable portion (cut things in half/quarter to make realistic serving sizes most of the time - splurge and don't worry as much once a month but still try not to go crazy) and that has really helped. I am also making an effort to move more and that is good too. I am still exhausted (I have narcolepsy so for me that is pretty much a constant) after work but now I am really trying to put the effort in. It is amazing to me how insane the portions I was having before were - like a couple days worth of calories in one meal - until I started to look that info up I had no idea how bad everything was calorie-wise (I still eat what I like but keep it reasonable, and keep it within my calorie limits).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,141 Member
    Options
    Ate to deal with my brother molesting me and my other siblings generally treating me like garbage. All I got was fat and still being treated like *kitten*.
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Combination of me being a loner/hermit as a child and my grandmother's (who had custody of me) abusive now ex-husband who refused to let me go outside or have friends. My friends became my cat and my food.
  • bronsted93
    bronsted93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Because food is f*cking delicious. :laugh:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Ate to deal with my brother molesting me and my other siblings generally treating me like garbage. All I got was fat and still being treated like *kitten*.

I can relate and I am really sorry :sad:

I gained the majority of the weight during my complete & utter mental break down (which was a result of a tonne of horrible things)
  • ViennaFingers
    Options
    I started gaining when I was in college. I was tall and had terrific body tone, so I enjoyed the late night pizza and beer without hesitation. I gained the usual "Freshman 15." I was not as concerned about that, but....

Once I started freelancing, it became a bigger problem. I was committed to working in my home office, attended to clients via online calls and sometimes I didn't leave my house for days!

I kept eating junk and got little to no exercise. So,:wink: that 15 lb. challenge morphed into a 100+ weight loss journey, but I am ready now!
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My parents worked nights, never cooked. Except Easter, Thanksgiving, & Christmas. Ate out every single meal. Got to pick exactly what I wanted and got a "super size" soft drink. I knew NOTHING about being healthy or what that even meant.

I used to be on swim team when I was 10-12. At 12 years old I stopped breathing.. did a lot of testing.. turned out I had PSVT.. and was supposed to take this pills that made me sleep around the clock.. so I quit taking those. I wasn't allowed to play sports or be in PE in school anymore.

When I was 15 I had a major fall and tore ligaments in both my legs and broke an ankle. Took being in a wheel chair and a long time in therapy to be able to walk again. My legs lost all their muscle basically they were smaller than my arms. I went from a size 10 to a 14/16.

TMI part. I didn't get my period till I was 16 and it stopped before I ever turned 17.

I got kicked out at 17 and in 6 months I gained over a 100lbs and went from a 14/16 to a 32!! I don't know the exact reasons for this. I was poor as it could get so I ate unhealthy and went to bed hungry sometimes.

This is about 9 months.. I can't find a better pic right now.
    d4028796-96b2-4f76-8eb5-67a97b8e677c_zpsb96b508b.jpg

full_zps3374e527.jpg
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Options
    BOOZE
    It's always the booze. lol
  • akbp77
    akbp77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had surgery for a serious health issue last summer and have an incision all the way down my stomach. I couldn't work out, go to work or school for a while and my lifestyle became very sedentary. After a couple of months, I got kind of depressed and didn't try to change anything. I cooked and baked for fun all day and drank a lot of alcohol, too. After I healed and was comfortable working out again, I stepped on a scale and was horrified. Now I want to lose the weight I gained and build some muscle. :)