Shelf-Stable Healthy Food

Options
Hi all,

I am starting a pretty busy month here, and I am going to be locked away in my lab for extended periods. Unfortunately, my lab does not have a fridge, so I only have a kettle and a microwave at my disposal. I'm looking for healthy shelf-stable foods that I can have around so that I don't get too hungry and can still stay productive.

Obviously, Mr.Noodles are a no-go! I have scoured my supermarket and come up with the following:

Apples
Microwaveable soups in the ready-to-eat container
Crackers
Almonds
Dates
Peanut Butter
Fruit Cups
Oat bran (a staple for me)
Granola bars (but could be dangerous to have around)

Any other ideas for things that don't need to be cold, and can be shoved in a drawer until extreme hunger strikes when nothing is open?

Thanks!

Replies

• mommyfirst77
    Options
    The quaker multigrain crisps are wonderful. I also found the publix premium blended grain bread! It is REALLY good too!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Walnuts
    Granola
    Protein bars
    Bananas
    Why not pack a cooler and put cold stuff in that and just eat that stuff 1st?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    1. Pack a cooler! Best thing you could possibly do.
    2. Oatmeal (you have a kettle at your disposal make the most of it).
    3. Protein powder...add a scoop to water and chug it.
  • MichelleOnTrack
    Options
    The cooler is a great idea! You can buy ice packs or use ise. That way you could pack sugar free jello, cheese sticks, yogurt, grapes--which you can take without the cooler, too.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You could throw some raisins in with your almonds, or any other dried fruit is also good. I like dried apricots :)
  • cableknit
    Options
    Thanks! Good idea about the cooler, but I am hoping to have things on hand just in case I run out of food for the day, or unexpectedly have to stay for dinner. I am already bringing food for the normal workday!

Great ideas guys! Thanks!