Bulking Advice?

So in about 3 weeks I'll be done cutting (fingers crossed) and finally be ready to put on some real mass. Now I've looked up proper ways to bulk, food to eat, etc. I just wanted to open up some advice from you all if you have any! Im going to stick to me 5 day split routine, I eat healthy, and my plan is to eat about 200-300 calories above maintenance. (Going for a slow lean bulk) If you have and advice you think would be useful please share! First time bulking. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Seems good, what's the issue mate?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    > seems to have gotten to a reasonable goal weight (that's a bit of an assumption- but I'm going off the "3 weeks done cutting comment)
    > is lifting progressively
    > is eating a moderate surplus.

nothing more is needed.

That is the magical formal right there. Don't over think it- just make sure you up your calories as you bulk- after a month or maybe less depending on your body maintenance + 300 + time = maintenance again. So you have to constantly adjust.

If you aren't seeing results or gaining to fast for your liking- adjust up or down.
    easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • alexwin21
    alexwin21 Posts: 2 Member
    As long as you stick yo that plan you seem fine! Good luck on them gains!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Just be aware that when you go straight from cutting to bulking your scale weight is going to jump up more than you bargained for. Maybe up to 5 lbs initially.

Fat and muscle will be a tiny proportion of it. Most of it will be water weight from extra carbs and food, glycogen in the muscle and liver, food and waste in gut.

If you can handle a couple of week of that, then fine, start tracking your weight gain after that, I see your aiming for half a pound a week. Weigh every day and average out after 7 is one way to track accurately.

Otherwise it may be good to confirm your maintenance figure. For reference, and to replete the stores and find your true post cut weight.

JoRocka, he's 18, 6ft and male. Do you think he should go for 400/500 extra a day?
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    JoRocka, he's 18, 6ft and male. Do you think he should go for 400/500 extra a day?
    Not Jo, but given his age I would go for the higher amount of surplus. Now is the time to make the most of his ability to add mass!
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Don't.

Just stop cutting right this second learn how to train now, not in 3 weeks. Set some realistic goals for strength at a gives size then you can see what you want to do. Like what % of your body weight can you bench press and dead lift are those numbers getting better or worse. Then when you start messing around with your cals you will know if you are going to fast in one direction or the other.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Not Jo, but given his age I would go for the higher amount of surplus. Now is the time to make the most of his ability to add mass!
    While his age is a nice plus to the equation, I think setting an arbitrary number somewhere about 500 is still not the right move. Regardless of his age if he is currently lean and wanting to remain lean a plan pike that could backfire. Also his size progress will be highly dependent on his training.

As far as working into a bulk, a reverse diet is an option to consider.

OP, what was your starting weight? Current weight?
    How long did you cut for?

Agreed.... normally I'd say eat all the things- but coming off a cut makes it sound like he might have blown past newb gains? would be useful to know if he's cutting as in- just got done losing weight- or cutting as in he was cutting from a season/specific body fat/already lean and in shape. He's got age on his side - I wouldn't eat less than 300 surplus for him though- over that would be trial/error. At his age I'd be more aggressive if it was me with my surplus- but he wants to stay lean he'll want be more conservative.

(sorry- been crazy at work- so I'm a bit short)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    So in about 3 weeks I'll be done cutting (fingers crossed) and finally be ready to put on some real mass. Now I've looked up proper ways to bulk, food to eat, etc. I just wanted to open up some advice from you all if you have any! I'm going to stick to me 5 day split routine, I eat healthy, and my plan is to eat about 200-300 calories above maintenance. (Going for a slow lean bulk) If you have and advice you think would be useful please share! First time bulking. Thanks everyone!

Never good to jump straight from a cut to a bulk instantly. Much better to slowly transition into maintenance and add in carbs slowly until you start to gain. Takes a short bit of time for your hormone levels to get back to normal after a deficit. Reverse dieting will help you to prevent from getting fatter sooner than necessary.

Also remember maintenance is a moving number. As you start to gain weight your tdee will rise due to the fact that you are heavier and exerting more energy in the gym and just to move around.

But hey man it's just advice, do whatever the f&&&* you wanna do!