Almost 40, mom of 3, and looking for friends!

Options
Hi! I just started my weight loss journey three days ago.

I have never been skinny, but lately I just feel out of control. I am a food addict and have major issues with overeating. Working from home gives me ready access to everything in the kitchen. My self confidence has taken a beating over the past few years. I don't feel good about the way I look, which translates into so many other areas of my life - my marriage, friendships, and career.

I am that woman who loses 10-15 pounds and then regains it and then loses it and regains it. Like many of you, I start out all motivated but then slowly lose steam - the usual cycle.

But then recently I developed plantar fasciitis in my foot and arthritis in my knee. A simple trip to Target is so painful - and I feel that I'm getting a glimpse of my future if I continue down this path. It's been a wake up call to say the least. I want to slim down for me, my husband, and my 3 children, who deserve many more years of doing fun physical activities with their mom. Oh, and I'll be 40 this fall. :) I know keeping weight off is not going to get any easier as I get older, so that gives me extra motivation.

I'd love some friends to share this journey with, so please feel free to add me!

Replies

• michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Here to help if I can. 43 going on 44 in 3 weeks with a 5 year old. I have had the dreaded plantar fasciitis as well and have had several set backs such as major knee surgery, elbow surgery, spinal fusion back surgery etc. I refuse to let these things prevent me from being the healthy me. Until I found this site, I too would lose and gain over and over again & have finally lost & maintained for over 1 1/2 years. Friend request sent.
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    oooo ooooo......add me add me!!!!!

I am almost 40 (in October) and I have 3 children + 2 step daughters!! we can do this together! - I don't know if there is a group for us almost 40 or 40+ moms but there should be. maybe I should make one lol
  • sjane1974
    sjane1974 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks, ladies - it's so good to know I'm not in this alone! Yes, we should definitely create a 40s group if there isn't one already :).

Michelle - congrats on maintaining your weight loss!
  • christarae1
    christarae1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay, so Im not 40...I will be 36 in October, BUT I also have an issue with over eating/binging. I'm slowly gaining control, but still slip up often. It's always going to be a battle Im sure, but I will fight it everyday! Anyhoo, welcome to MFP!! I hope you are able to control the fasciitis and arthritis! I had a lot of knee pain prior to weight loss, so I have a slight understanding as to what you are going through. I've lost over 30 lbs since joining, with 20 or more to go!! Feel free to add me!! :)
  • sjane1974
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, Christa! That's inspiring. It's amazing how a few extra pounds can wreak havoc with your joints.

It will be good to have people to lean on when the food temptations rear their ugly heads... :)
  • sgtlee0626
    sgtlee0626 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm 41 but you guys are singing my song! major knee reconstruction last year, totally a binge eater and apparently an emotional eater...I've danced with the same 20 pounds or so for the past however many years but am still holding onto some leftover weight after having my youngest son (2 years old now) and then the knee surgery shortly afterwards. I have about 30-ish to go, I would love to get on board with you all!
  • Photomandy
    Photomandy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You're singing my song (nearly) too! I just turned 39, am a mama to 5, and have been gaining and losing the same 10 pounds since the 5th was born! (um, a year and a half ago, and I don't just need to lose 10). I'm looking for some daily mutual accountability. I know this works, as I was successful before I became pregnant with my last baby, but then let it go throughout and after the pregnancy.

So, you guys can totally do this, and accountability is very key! When I knew a friend would comment if I disappeared, it helped me to stick around and make better choices until they were habits.

Any of you ladies feel free to add me!
  • sjane1974
    Options
    I think I've added everyone on this thread. We can do it, gals (and guys!)! I know that I will stumble along the way, and when I do I'm not going to do my usual "Oh, I blew it, screw this whole thing!" Instead I am going to just get right back up on that saddle and keep moving forward. If it takes me awhile to shed this weight, that's ok, as long as I am always heading in the right direction. :)
  • vegas1776
    vegas1776 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey there sjane, I'm on the weight roller coaster too but trying to get to flat grout! 44 years old with two little guys....4 and a 2 1/2 year old boys! I gotta lose the weight and keep it off to stay active with them... Need all the help and friends I can get too!

Vic
  • amysgottadothisthang
    amysgottadothisthang Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 in December, I have 3 sons and I would love a new friend :flowerforyou:
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hello

I'm not 40 I am a mature 35 and I have 3 children. I would like to be added. I don't even get the concept of how friends are added on MFP. I am pretty new and I don't even have a face book page. :noway: :smile: I am struggling since March with weight loss and I am fighting hard. I have lost 20+ lbs total. I have been looking for a post that would interest me and yours just speaks to me. I am rooting for you!
  • elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    add me if youwant/ always looking for new friends. We need to support each other!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will be 40 in November. I have 3 grown kids, and a 4 year old. Yep big difference! I also have 3 grsndchildren. Add me if you like, I also work from home.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel so old! Laughs, 45! Still, you're more than welcome to add me.
  • sjane1974
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Adding you guys now!
  • valeriesmith1840
    valeriesmith1840 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello there mom of 3 who works from home - I'm also a mom of 3 who works from home! I'm 33, new to MFP, and much of what you shared resonates with me and my life. Diabetes, stroke, and cancer run in the family - and as you say the minor health issues I have experienced to date seem to foreshadow the outlook of my future if I do not change things around now.

I also have lost and gained and haven't found anything lasting to date. I'm trying a new approach this time...instead of very strict restricting I eat whatever I want...so long as I stay within a set calorie range. It's not easy. I don't lose daily. I lose much slower. It's very frustrating and many times I've wanted to give up ... but I lost 26 pounds before joining MFP and I'm working hard to continue on.

Keep it up and I'm glad you are here! :)
  • Ayakaba
    Ayakaba Posts: 10
    Options
    hi mom of three,

37 & no Kids, but much of that binging and emotional eating Story sounds so familiar to me. Struggling with the same 40 Pounds since my teenage years and i am quite sick of that up and down.

I hope we can share & Support. I sent you a friends request.

aya
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    But then recently I developed plantar fasciitis in my foot and arthritis in my knee. A simple trip to Target is so painful - and I feel that I'm getting a glimpse of my future if I continue down this path. It's been a wake up call to say the least.

Hi,

When I started, I had plantar fasciitis, and I have arthritis in my knee. The latter was getting bad enough that I was a candidate partial knee replacement surgery. As the doctor said "lose the weight, or lose the knee; it's your choice."

After dropping 20 lbs, the plantar fasciitis went away. After dropping 50 lbs, the need for surgery was pushed out a bit. Now that I'm down 95+, surgery is likely pushed out for a decade or more (per doc's and physio's assessments).

Make your weight loss happen. Don't wait until you are hobbling like I was. Shedding this weight has been like turning the clock back 10 years. Life is so much easier now that I weigh 1/3 less than when I started.

Best of luck!
  • Super_Mama
    Super_Mama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am a 38 year old working mom of 4 struggling to regain some control of my eating, happy to help motivate and support! feel free to add me!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    IM A 36 YR OLD MOM OF 2, AGES 1.5 YRS OLD AND 5 MONTHS. LOOKING TO GET ALL MY BABY WEIGHT OFF. LETS ENCOURAGE EACH OTHER!!