So should I eat something?

Options
Okay, it is 9.30 PM, my calorie goal for the day is 1350, I ate 1400, then I just pedaled the stationary bike for an hour, burning 800 calories, giving me a net calorie intake for the day of 600. So I am now really supposed to eat a snack to keep my body healthy? I started using MFP 2 weeks ago, and it is going really well, and I understand the slow and steady, but it seems if I eat healthy things, watch portion size and add exercise my net calorie intake is too low????

I have to say I do love this website and the app, it totally works with my need for counting things!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat because it's so late. Unless you are truly hungry.
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    Are you hungary? Listen to your body, if you think you are hungary eat something. Like some fruit or veggies to satisfiy the hungary. If you not really then try drinking more water.
  • MomOfThree123
    Options
    I dont know the answer for your question since I wonder the same thing.. But I know just what you mean! I have ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snaks today. And I only took in 727 calories. And after excerise my net is 203.. When I get out and walk alot my net is normally negitive. I'm starting at the gym tomorrow. So now I'm really wondering what my net is gonna be... =/
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat Something....Such a low net intake right before bed will send your body into starvation mode overnight meaning that every calorie you eat tomorrow morning will be efficiently stored and held on to.

Eating a protein after a workout is always a good idea. People worry about eating late because of metabolism slowing down, yours is revved up from a workout.

Don't sabotage your workout by not giving yourself the fuel to build lean muscle.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I would definitely eat something. If you know exercise is in the plan for the day, try to eat them throughout the day next time. When I know I have a 700 calorie burn coming in the evening, I add a little to each meal and snack. Since it is so late, I would eat whole wheat peanut butter toast and a big glass of milk and call it a day. Protein is key!
  • javamom
    Options
    I dont know the answer for your question since I wonder the same thing.. But I know just what you mean! I have ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snaks today. And I only took in 727 calories. And after excerise my net is 203.. When I get out and walk alot my net is normally negitive. I'm starting at the gym tomorrow. So now I'm really wondering what my net is gonna be... =/

Be careful with such low net calories. It can be harmful to your metabolism, weight loss and health in the long run.
  • javamom
    Options
    Eat Something....Such a low net intake right before bed will send your body into starvation mode overnight meaning that every calorie you eat tomorrow morning will be efficiently stored and held on to.

Eating a protein after a workout is always a good idea. People worry about eating late because of metabolism slowing down, yours is revved up from a workout.

Don't sabotage your workout by not giving yourself the fuel to build lean muscle.

totally agree! well said!
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    Ideally the general rule is that you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day just to maintain proper body function (as a minimum for everybody!). If you eat less than this in a single day, what your body does is take energy by breaking down protein (ie muscle), instead of the fat, mostly because its easier to reach and break down. So really you will still lose weight but what you are doing is reducing the amount of muscle to fat ratio you have and actually upping your % of body fat!!!
    It's recommended to try and eat your exercise calories, so you arent in a huge deficit. However I know many people who only try to eat 'half' their exercise calories (that is, if you burned 800 calories today with exercise, eat an extra 400 calories on top of your normal amount for the day).
    If it's late and you're not hungry, there really is no point eating to try and catch up. One day of being way under your caloric limit is not a huge issue. But if this is a continual thing, you'll go back to your body breaking down muscle instead of fat again.
  • ababygrace
    Options
    Eat something or drink it. Your net is too low. It sounds crazy but if you don't eat exercise calories, it will slow your progress down. Ever since I ate my exercise calories or had a net of at least 1200, the pounds started to come off. It is probably too late now but plan to eat them somehow in the future.
  • jennitar
    jennitar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    decided on an oz of cheese and a few wheat thins, Thanks for the input folks!