Army Crawling

Options
So I searched the topic of crawling in the forums and came across one other person who asked but no one took it seriously. How many calories do you burn crawling? First off- No. It's not a bedroom thing. I work in crawlspaces for a living and am just trying to get a general idea of how much I may be burning. It's hard work and I sweat my butt off. I googled it to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe buy a HRM and wear it while working?
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Depending on weight, height, speed, and specific crawling position you could burn up to 600 calories an hour - (bear crawl)

However I agree that maybe you should get a HRM - it will give you a more accurate number.
  • hoffmanchristina
    hoffmanchristina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM. I have the Polar ft7 with a chest strap. Press start when you start a job and end when you finish. Based on your height and weight which you program, and your heart rate, it tells you the calories burned. I love mine. Found out I burn 1,100 calories when I mow the grass which takes about 2 hours.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    If it's a regular thing for work, I'd suggest changing your activity level rather than worrying about logging it each day.
  • MariamRodriguez12
    Options
    Well for me it's a heck of a work out but it's different for everyone. Like everyone else said get a heart rate monitor :)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I would guess it's quite a bit based on the times we have had to do it in gym class. I find it a lot more intense than bear crawls.
  • aknight78
    aknight78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish someone could just answer with a ballpark without telling me to get a FitBit, which I already have. The reason I'm crawling is I have a broken ankle. I crawl up and down the stairs and upstairs because crutches are painful and the scooter has to stay on the main level. I have lost 4 lbs. in a week and 1 day and haven't drastically altered my diet, so I'm curious just how many calories I'm burning crawling and dragging myself around. I guess for now I'll go with 600 calories?
  • aknight78
    aknight78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I should clarify that I've not been using the FitBit due to comfort while crawling, but I guess I'll have to think of some other way to wear it...
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    According to the article below, about 600 calories an hour for a vigorous bear crawl. That seems plausible for the vigorous crawl described, because crawling is less efficient than walking or running. I imagine the one the OP is doing is slower and not done continuously for all that long. Maybe cut the calories in half to account for the differences? Given that weight also plays a factor in how much you burn, I would probably just enter it as moderate or brisk walking and take whatever MFP calculates.

http://www.supplementhq.com/5-best-weight-loss-workouts/